023

Loey's Wife

“Yes, yes, we’ll be back before your party.” Chanyeol replied over breakfast, Jinah was on the speakerphone.

“Do you and Baek want anything from Beijing? We’ll be making a sidetrip to Shanghai too.” Minae called as she poured some coffee for herself.

“Food. Duh.”

Chanyeol chuckled and placed some eggs on her plate, she jutted her lips towards some of his bacon.

“How grand is this birthday anyway? Does your father even know that you have plans to throw him one?” He asked as he transferred the bacon on her plate.

“It’s a surprise, anyway, call me when you guys get back. I have things I need to ask Minae by then.”

The line went dead, Minae poured Chanyeol his coffee and started to eat.

“I called ma before going down, she said she’d be waiting for us. She wanted to greet us at the airport, but I don’t want her to drive out.”

“Yeah, we have a car waiting. Besides, it might snow heavily.” Chanyeol replied, Minae took a small sip from her cup and she paused as she heard a car rolling out the curb. She slid down from her seat and padded towards the windows.

“Minae, you’re not dressed to greet guests.” Chanyeol reminded her, Minae paused, she was just wearing a tank top and one of her sweatpants.

“It’s my secretary.” She told him, Chanyeol followed her, he handed his sweatshirt to the girl, revealing the yellow muscle top he had on.

“I got you that for Halloween.” She grinned at him just as the doors opened, and then she grew confused.

“Good morning, young master and vice president.” The male said amiably as he placed two floral arrangements on the coffee table by the foyer.

“F—flowers?” Chanyeol asked, Minae blinked at him.

“Well, they arrived yesterday afternoon and this morning, they’ve been coming in for the oast few days now, remember? I thought the young master would like it if you received~”

“He would never send meflowers.” Minae spoke with a chuckle, Chanyeol nodded quickly. Despite the common knowledge that women loved flowers, Min detested them. Why? She simply wasn’t the “flower” type of girl and of course, her allergies.

“R—Right, that’s why I was confused, vice president.”

Minae walked towards the flowers, she plucked out the cards, it had nothing.

“And, vice president, I already fixed your schedule. The office has been informed that you’d be flying out today.”

Chanyeol was eyeing the flowers quietly, he crossed his arms and leaned back against the wall.

“Good, call me if something comes up. Enjoy your weekend.” Minae said to him, the male nodded and thanked her, he was about to reach the doors when Chanyeol spoke.

“Wait,” He said, the male turned. Minae looked at him.

“Take them on your way out.” Chanyeol spoke as he pointed towards the flowers, the male swallowed and nodded.

“I keep on getting those lately, it’s always the same type of ribbons or lace.” She murmured as she walked towards him, her secretary picked up the flowers.

“Tell them, they might as well just kill her if they send more flowers.” Chanyeol said with a small smile on his face, but that was enough to make the other male panic slightly. Not a lot was known about ShinHan’s only heir, but everyone knew he was only nice to his wife.

“He’s joking. Just take them with you before I start sneezing.” Minae chuckled, the male nodded quickly before leaving the house.

“Come on, let’s eat.” She said before walking back to the dining room, Chanyeol’s eyebrows scrunched together for a short second and he followed her.

 

 

Chanyeol fixed his hair, again, as the black Land Rover pulled over in front of a familiar two-storey house. Minae grew amused as she looked at him.

“Chanyeol, stop. You look fine.” She sighed at him.

“I feel like I dressed too casually?” He said to her, he was dressed in a pair of dark denim jeans, no rips, a crisp white shirt, which was a miracle that it survived the flight without getting stained, because knowing how clumsy was, the shirt should be dirty by now, and a nice black leather jacket to protect him from the cold.

No oversized hoodies and Yeezys in sight.

And it amused the hell out of his wife. Minae just found it so intriquing how Chanyeol never got over her mother’s initial rejection of him.

“Chanyeol, please. Stop fidgeting.” She chuckled, he glared at her.

“She already loves you, you dummy.” She said before sliding down the car, she approached the door and rung the doorbell. Chanyeol followed her and asked for the chauffeur to unload their bags.

“Minae?” The door slid open, revealing an elegant looking woman, she had a warm smile on her face as she looked at her daughter.

“Ma,” Min chuckled before hugging her, the woman smiled and kissed her daughter’s cheek.

“How was your flight? Chanyeol, come,” She waved him over, he literally beamed at her before joining their hug.

Almost four years ago, when Minae broke the news to her mother about her marriage, the lady had adamantly said no. She didn’t approve of the marriage; she didn’t approve of Chanyeol. To be exact, she didn’t approve of Chanyeol because he came from a prominent family. And Mrs. Jung had enough bad experience with her husband’s siblings and other cousins.

But now, Chanyeol had managed to squeeze himself into her side of the family and was now her favorite son-in-law, well given that he is the only son-in-law, but Mrs. Jung adored him to bits.

“Whoa, I come here to practice my Mandarin, and yet you greet us in Korean~”

“Your husband can’t speak Chinese!” She rolled her eyes at her daughter, Chanyeol chuckled, Minae made a face at her and asked for the chauffeur to bring their bags into the property.

“I can smell your cooking from here, ma.” Chanyeol chatted as they walked towards the house, he was holding onto her hand as they went up the steps. Minae smiled to herself as she looked at the two.

“I made some of your favorites, because all my daughter ever eats is hot pot, I don’t want you to think~”

“Ma!”

“She loves all those generic Chinese dishes, I feel bad for you.” She sighed as they got inside the house.

“I don’t cook those for him.”

“Darling, you can’t cook.” She said to her with a knowing smile.

“She has a point, babe.” Chanyeol chimed in, Minae glared at the two before taking her jacket off.

“I’m going to wash up, I hope you two enjoy talking about me behind my back.”

“I think I might have to console her, ma.” Chanyeol said jokingly before walking towards her.

“Just go eat, PD Park.” She said as she picked up her bag, he chuckled before putting his baseball cap on her head.

“I’ll wash up after you, gonna help ma prepare the table.” He squeezed her cheeks together and followed his mother-in-law to the kitchen.

“Ma, how many bowls do you need?” She heard him call out, Minae chuckled and headed for the stairs.

“Manchild. An adorable manchild.”

 

 

“I don’t understand; you want me to what?” Baekhyun was confused, he was in his office with Chanyeol on the phone.

“You just landed, Chanyeol. Now you want me to check on something? Flower shops? Are you having an affair?” He sighed as he leaned back against his desk.

“Actually, we arrived yesterday. Min’s driving us to the market so ma can get some shopping done.”

“Well?” Baekhyun pressed on.

“Just ask your people to look around, I can’t ask Min’s staff to do it.”

“But why flower shops? There are like a million shops in the downtown area alone~”

“Just within the ShinHan office’s area. The main one.”

“What will I check? Your wife hates flowers.”

“I’m not asking you to order for me, idiot.” Chanyeol hissed, Baekhun paused, sensing his friend’s discomfort.

“Then, why?”

“Min has allergies, you know that.”

“Hmm, still not buying it.” He knew pressing his friend’s buttons was a little risky,

“There’s been a lot of deliveries to Min’s office the past few days. I just wanna know where they’re from.”

Baekhyun tilted his head, and he started to smile.

“Where they’re from or who they’re from?” He hummed as he checked his wristwatch for the time.

“Just do it.” He said before ending the call, the Byun heir laughed and shook his head.

“It’s starting then. Whoever’s sending those flowers, may the heavens bless you. And I hope Jinah doesn’t find you.” He said to himself before calling his secretary.

 

 

“I haven’t been here in years.” Minae’s eyes travelled around the market as she followed her mother through the crowds, Chanyeol was holding onto her hand as she moved with her.

“It’s my first time here, what are we buying?” He asked her, his voice still husky from the nap he took in the car.

“Some fresh seafood, ma wants to cook this spicy fish stew that my father used to eat.” She replied to him, he smiled and nodded back.

“You? Do you want something else?” Minae flinched as a cart almost hit her, Chanyeol wrapped one arm around her as he walked with her.

“King crab? I’ve been craving them.” He said as they reached her mom, she was bargaining with the lady over some fish.

“Well, I have something I need to tell you.” She said softly, he nodded at her.

“First, I’m sorry if I went over the line with the…Haneul thing. And…that.” She trailed off, Chanyeol chuckled and shook his head at her.

“Next, your mom called me last night.”

Chanyeol stuck his tongue out at her, she nudged for him to listen to her.

“We’re kind of needed at the year end party for the company.”

“Don’t you always go every year?” He asked as he zipped up her hoodie.

“Yeah, I do. But this year, they want you to go too. Not just your parents, but the BOD as well.”

“But, going~”

“I know you hate it, but I’m going to be there, Loey. And honestly, it going alone, you know? Everyone keeps on asking me where you are and…I am running out of alibis for you.”

Chanyeol’s forehead creased briefly, Minae puffed her cheeks and looked around them.

“You don’t have to stay long, just show your face. That way, the BOD will calm down, they’ve been asking about you lately. And I’ve been trying to keep them off your backs for a while.” She nudged his hand with hers.

“Why can’t they just call me?” He replied.

“Yeol, you scare them.” She pointed out, he rolled his eyes.

“Come on, do this for me, okay?” She nudged him again, she laced his fingers with her.

“If I say no, I might suffer some big consequences, so, okay. I will be at that party wearing a penguin suit.” He grimaced, Minae laughed before playfully wrapping her arms around his waist.

“Do I get to pick out a suit for you?”

“Don’t make me wear red and we’re cool.” He chuckled before lacing one arm around her.

“So, is it really the s over the ? I always thought you were a guy.” She suddenly asked, Chanyeol groaned and let go of her, she chuckled.

“Well? s?” She tried shimmying her torso at him.

“Ma, you can take her back. I give up!” Chanyeol padded towards his mother-in-law.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=