028

Loey's Wife

Minae walked in her office, she exhaled and sat down on her chair. Her eyes went to her bag, the folder from Chanyeol was peeking through the opening. Her fists curled briefly and she leaned forward to take her phone.

It took a few rings before the person from the other line answered.

“I called you about Jung Oil Group.” She said softly, the male from the other line recognized her.

“Yes, vice president. I remember.”

“Is it true?”

“Yes, there’s no question to it. You own thirty percent of the company, and, like young master Park has informed you, no one can contest that. It is also written on your grandfather’s will. He updated it about six years ago.”

“Update?”

“It was supposed to be, fifteen percent for you and the other half would be for your cousin, miss Shim Aera. But, the elder has changed it.”

Minae pursed her lips, she bid the male goodbye before putting her phone down. She pulled her desk open and picked up the photo frame inside. She put it up and gazed at the photograph with a sad smile.

“How did we end up this way, halbae?” She whispered as she looked at the photo of her and her grandfather, taken during her tenth birthday.

“You’re tempting me, halbae. Why me?”

 

 

Chanyeol set his tray down and sat down with his staff, he was having lunch at the company’s cafeteria.

“We released the teaser photos yesterday, sir.”

“Yes, I saw it. How’s the feedback?” He asked as he took out his phone, he dialed Min’s number and paused as the line went dead.

“Some were a little weirded out by the new concept, but just this morning the comments were positive.”

Chanyeol was about to reply when a shadow loomed over them, the two producers looked at the lady in confusion.

“Can I join your table, president?” Haneul asked them with a small smile, the two males looked at Chanyeol expectantly, while his secretary just rolled his eyes. The young PD looked around them, the cafeteria was indeed packed. So, he nodded and scooted over to make room for the girl.

“You don’t have anything on your schedule today, miss Kang?” Chanyeol spoke as the girl sat down beside him.

“I just finished taking my headshots, president. And, in a while I have to be in Suwon for a shoot.”

“But, president,” She spoke as she leaned in closer, her shoulder brushing against his, Chanyeol looked at her briefly then back at his noodles.

“I never thought that I’d see you eating here in the cafeteria.” She said with a small chuckle, Chanyeol dialed on his phone again.

“Huh?” He asked distractedly, now he was getting a little annoyed that the line went dead again.

“President?” Haneul’s palm landed on his lap, Chanyeol secretary scratched the back of his head.

“Do you know where she is? Minae.” His eyes went to his secretary.

“At the company, I don’t think she has anything up for today. Probably a meeting, sir.”

Haneul kept her hand on his lap, Chanyeol sighed and stood up. The girl blinked at him, confused and a little peeved.

“Call her office, tell her to call me back.” He said as he took his tray with him and left. Haneul chewed on her lip and leaned against the table as she started to eat.

 

 

Minae was going through some documents when the doors opened, she looked up and paused as she saw the familiar faces before her.

“A—Ahjussi, ahjumma.” She was taken aback, she stood up and her secretary followed them.

“They..insisted on seeing you, ma’am. They claim to have known you since you were a little girl.” The male said hesitantly.

“Yes, yes. Please make some tea.” She said as she urged the two elders to join her.

“W—what…How?” She didn’t know where to start, never in her wildest dreams did she expect to see her grandfather’s butler and cook standing in her ShinHan office.

“We wanted to see you, young miss.” The lady spoke as they sat down, Minae nodded and sat down across them.

“Why? Is..halbae okay?” She grew worried, the two shook their heads.

“He’s doing well. I was there when your driver dropped him off, young miss..or it samonim, now?” The male smiled ruefully, Minae shook her head.

“You can still call me Minae, ahjussi.”

“It was then I realized..that you were still around. And I meant this, as, you still care for your grandfather despite what they have done to you.” He said, the lady glanced at him briefly.

“What do you mean?”

Her secretary came back, carrying a tray of pastries and some tea with him.

“Excuse me, samonim, but young master Park has requested for you to call him back.”

“I will, in a bit.” She nodded before dismissing him. Minae poured tea for the two and gestured for them to continue talking again.

“They lied to you, your aunt and cousin has been lying to you. The president has never requested for you to leave. It…was just them.”

Minae felt her stomach drop, she straightened her back and looked away.

“And, we only got the encourage to approach you now because all this time we thought you hated him.”

“N-No, I could never hate him.” Minae choked and walked to her desk, turning her back to the couple.

“Agasshi, we..have a favor to ask of you.”

Minae nodded without looking at them, she brushed her tears away from her cheeks and looked up.

“Can you step up? The president, he needs to be taken away from them.”

Minae paused, she turned to them, not knowing what to say.

“Your aunt…is the worst. She’s been treating him badly ever since he got sick and decided not to name her as his successor in the company. The household is in a mess, agasshi.”

“Ahjumma, I~”

“Please. Get him out of there.”

 

 

Chanyeol was twirling his car key around his fingers as he stepped in the basement.

“Hey, where have you been?” He asked as Minae answered, there was a short pause.

“I had meetings, it was….heavy. I’m sorry my phone died in the middle of the day.”

“It’s fine. Do you feel like eating out for dinner?” He asked as he reached his car.

“Uhmm, I think I need to stay in the office a bit. I have a lot of documents to follow up. Maybe tomorrow night?” She asked, Chanyeol’s lips pursed as he unlocked his car.

“Fine. I have Toben all to myself tonight then.”

“Sure, he loves me more though.” She laughed before ending the call, Chanyeol smiled as he opened the door and tossed his backpack in.

“President?”

He turned and found Haneul jogging towards him, she had her bag in hand.

“It’s already dark outside, what are you still doing here?” He asked as she neared him, his eyes went towards the white sedan parked across them.

“My car wont start, I called insurance but no one’s picking up. And I’m a bit worried getting in a cab.” She said in a low tone, Chanyeol looked around them, he bit on the insides of his cheek before speaking.

“I can drop you off. Get in.” He walked around the Audi and opened the door for her, Haneul smiled, she squeezed his arm briefly before climbing into the vehicle.

The car sped away, not noticing the two men huddled by the basement’s gates.

 

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++