024

Loey's Wife

Minae stepped out of the house, her mother was resting in her room while Chanyeol was watching a movie upstairs.

She took her phone out and dialed quickly, she leaned against the balustrade as she watched her mother’s two Golden Retrievers run around the garden.

“Minae-yah?” A familiar voice answered.

“Oppa, are you busy?”

“No, no. I just got out of the office. How are you?”

“I’m sorry for calling suddenly, but, I kind of have a request, oppa.”

“Request? What is it?” She could already see him smiling.

“I heard my grandfather still goes to your hospital,…correct?”

“Ah, yes, he still does.”

“Then, can we talk about him when I get back? I’ll be home in a week or so, oppa. I’ll drop by your office.”

“Sure, just come over.”

“Thank, oppa.” She said before ending the call, Minae let out a shaky breath before sitting down.

“I may or may have not opened a Pandora’s box.” She murmured to herself before closing her eyes.

 

 

“Disneyland?” Minae was confused as she set her bowl down, her mother glanced at Chanyeol.

“Yeah.”

“You said you had work to do there.” They were talking about their Shanghai trip, Chanyeol was still slurping his noodles. Minae sighed before picking up a napkin and pressed it against his chin.

“It’s just a short conference meeting for NCT’s promotions here, it wont take long.”

“You said you needed three days, Loey.”

“Yeah, one day for that meeting. And two days in Disneyland.” He beamed at her, Mrs. Jung guffawed and pour him some more soup.

Minae blinked at him, she shook her head before finishing her coffee.

“We haven’t celebrated Christmas at a Disneyland yet, Min.” He reasoned with her.

“It’s not like I can say now. You checked us in at the Toy Story hotel, huh?” She asked dryly, Mrs. Jung was smiling as she watched the two squabbling.

“Of course!” Chanyeol said, proud of himself. He was about to pick up his chopsticks again when his phone pinged.

“Ma, Jinah asked if I could buy her those dried persimmons you always bring back home. Do you know where I could get them?” Min spoke.

“I do, I’ll order some for you before you two leave.”

Chanyeol took out his phone and read the message from Baekhyun.

My secretary narrowed down to three shops. But, this FlowerBox Co. is the nearest one to ShinHan’s office. -Baekhyun

Baekhyun had attached an address, his forehead creased as he opened the link. True enough, the shop was just four blocks away from Min’s office.

 

 

Jin toyed with his plate of pasta as his cousin and the other elders of the family discussed about their plans for the holiday.

“Hyung,” Hoseok nudged him again.

“What?”

“Ah, right, I know we’ve renewed ties with our old banks just this year. It isn’t a bad idea to attend their year-end events like how we used to.” Mr. Kim spoke, Jin tilted his head.

“Old banks? Like, ShinHan and IBK?” Hoseok spoke, the elder nodded.

“I received an invitation from Mr. Park himself, he wants us to come to their party. Son?”

Jin looked at his father, he could already see Hoseok grinning from ear to ear.

“You mentioned you’re on friendly terms with the daughter-in-law.”

“Yes, Minae-ssi.” Hoseok chirped, Jin had to step on his foot under the table.

“Why don’t you go this year? I mean, it’s your first year working in Korea.”

“Well, it’s not a bad idea.” He nodded before taking a sip of his drink, Hoseok shook his head and took another spoonful of his soup.

“Well, that’s settled then. I’ll call president Park before the week ends. Make sure you have time for that.”

“Yes, abeoji.”

“Of course he’ll make time for that, uncle.” Hoseok chortled, Jin just sighed and eyed his cousin warily.

“Daughter-in-law? The son doesn’t work with them?” Mrs. Kim spoke up, Jin nodded back.

“That’s kind of the case with ShinHan Banking, eomma.”

“Strange, huh?” Mr. Kim commented as he ate.

“Why? Is the son sick?” Mrs. Kim was confused, she knew most families in their circle didn’t work that way.

“No, the son runs this entertainment company, he hasn’t worked for ShinHan ever sine.” Hoseok said over his salad.

“Entertainment? How weird. So, he’s fine with his wife doing all the heavy work for him?” Mrs. Kim asked.

“I guess that’s the case for that family, eomma.”

 

 

Minae grimaced as she felt a pressing weight across her stomach, she turned her head to her left. Chanyeol had his arm across her center with his nose pressed against her side.

She groggily shook her head before carefully pushing the male off her, Minae looked around before taking her phone to check the time. It was two in the morning.

She slid down from the bed, draped the blanket over Chanyeol and began to tie her hair in a loose bun. She looked around for his discarded hoodie and pulled it over her head.

She stepped out of the room and padded down towards the living room, she paused when she heard some sounds coming from the kitchen.

“Ma? You’re still up? Or did you just wake up?” She was confused as she saw her mother pacing about in the kitchen, probably preparing what to cook for breakfast.

“No, I’m just trying to arrange our breakfast before going to bed. You? Can’t sleep?”

“No, I just…can’t really sleep well. What are we eating tomorrow?” She was excited, her mother laughed.

“I’m glad you two decided to spend Christmas here. Chanyeol seems to being well, that’s good.”

“His company is booming. Kpop is crazy, ma.” She grinned as she sat on one of the stools.

“I wasn’t asking about his work. I was talking about you two.”

Minae paused, she chewed on her lower lip, she didn’t like having to lie to her mother. And she didn’t like being reminded that she had been lying to her for years now.

“Well, we’re doing well, ma.” She said as she crossed her arms and leaned against the counter.

“I can see that. He would do anything for you, daughter.”

Minae could only nod, she picked up a grape and popped it into .

“So, don’t lose him. Okay?”

“Now you sound like a typical Chinese lady, nice.” She commented, he rmother glared at her.

“I mean it. It can only be him for you. And how do I know this?

Minae could only scratch the back of her head.

“Min? You down there?” Chanyeol’s groggy voice echoed from the second floor.

They both looked up, Mrs. Jung saw how her daughter smiled before calling back.

“Yeah, I’m helping ma for a bit. Go back to sleep.”

She heard the door close again and she looked at her mother.

“Because you’re my daughter, and I know you.” She finshed, Minae rolled her eyes at the elder.

“Ma, things aren’t written on stone for you to~”

“Daughter, I know you. And knowing how cold hearted you are, he’s the only one who can pass your standards.”

“I am not~”

“Darling, don’t start a fight you can’t win.” Her mother winked at her.

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++