023

It's You, Always

 

Kai stepped out of the elevator and was a little confused when he saw some people from their main office.

“Good morning, GM.” One greeted him, Kai nodded back.

“What’s going on? Is the chairman visiting?” He asked him as he walked with the older male, the latter shook his head.

“We were sent here to meet the vice president; the chairman has special instructions for us to brief her before she starts.”

Kai paused briefly, he knows that this setup wont sit well with Hana.

“Ah, really? Have you seen her already?” Kai asked, looking for an excuse to speak to her.

“Yes, she’s already here.”

Kai blinked, he checked the time on his Cartier timepiece, it was not even nine in the morning yet.

“Oh, she’s here.”

Jongin looked up and halted, there she was, Hana was being approached by the group of SK managers.

She greeted them politely while bowing as they reached her, and then she paused as she felt his gaze on her.

Kai tensed up, he bit on the insides of his cheek. Before he could call for her, Hana turned her back away from him and entered the conference room with the rest of the staff,

Kai exhaled and puffed his cheeks before moving away.

 

 

Sera’s fingers curled around her phone tightly, she was making her way towards their table. She had been trying to call Myungsoo since this morning, but he never answered. She was sure that he had not told his parents anything yet, but she knew he will, soon.

And it would not do any of them good, with what her father announced yesterday.

Hana was set to takeover, she was already the VP of SK Holdings, and now, Sera needed Myungsoo more then ever.

“Sera, come.” Chairman Kang waved her over, Sera smiled at him but she paused when she saw the look on her mother’s face.

She bit on her lip before taking her seat, her eyes went to the empty seat beside the elder.

“Are we~”

“Yes, yes, Hana’s joining us. We should celebrate as a family.” He spoke happily, Sera forced herself to smile.

“Yeobo, I think you rushed this way too much. Hana’s only a beginner in this.” Mrs. Kang spoke, her tone soft and calm. Sera leaned back on her seat, she had no idea how to take care of the situation, since it was announced openly to the public.

“No, she’ll be fine. I know she can do it.”

Sera watched as her mother rolled her eyes and checked the menu, and then she heard her father stand up.

“Hana, finally,” He went up to greet the girl with a hug, Sera turned to her, Hana was dressed nicely, a Dolce and Gabbana pantsuit and Miu Miu heels, on her arm hung a black Chanel purse.

“Sorry for being a little late, I was stuck in traffic, appa. And, your staff really did well. They made me read a lot of reports before I could even finish my coffee.” She said jokingly before sitting down.

“I wanted to update you before anything else, how did your day go?”

“I’m sure Hana had a great time, yeobo. I mean, she wanted it badly.” Mrs. Kang spoke kindly, but Hana didn’t miss the meaning behind her words.

“Not really, I was always sure appa will give it to me.” She shrugged back and grinned at her father.

“And now, I finally let him tie me down at his company, interesting, huh?” She chuckled heartily, Sera exhaled and looked at her.

“Aren’t you rushing into things? Do you already know the basics? I can help you out.” Sera offered coyly, her father nodded.

“Right, your sister can help you.” Chairman Kang chimed in. Mrs. Kang raised one perfectly arched brow at Hana, challenging her.

Hana smirked.

“I wouldn’t want to impose, doesn’t she have a wedding to prepare for?” Hana mused back, with the way Sera tensed up on her seat, she knew she already won.

“You’re right, Hana. Sera will be busy soon, her wedding is in~”

“I also called Myungsoo oppa to join us, appa. I wouldn’t want to celebrate without him, isn’t he family too?” She beamed at her father, Sera exhaled and looked away.

“Of course, of course, good call, Hana.”

Hana smiled and looked at her stepsibling, she crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows at the older girl.

 

 

Myungsoo looked at Hana then Sera, their food was slowly starting to arrive.

“Why are you two so quiet? You should be telling us your plans.” Hana said happily as she picked dup her fork and knife.

“Have you two decided yet?” Mrs. Kang spoke up, Hana grinned at Sera.

“As of now, we~”

“Maybe they want to surprise us, since appa’s birthday is coming up, does this mean a double celebration for us?” Hana chirped, her father nodded.

“Well, I wouldn’t mind.” The elder spoke as he picked up his drink. Myungsoo glanced at Hana, the girl wasn’t acting herself and he had a feeling he knew what she was up to.

He wasn’t against it, but what she was doing was unlike her.

Hana was being reckless.

“What do you think about that, Sera? It doesn’t seem to be a bad idea.” Mrs. Kang looked at her daughter.

“For once, I agree with your wife, appa.” Hana joked dryly, Myungsoo grew alarmed.

Chairman Kang looked up from his plate, he paused and tilted his head.

“You two are being quiet? Does this mean you haven’t decided yet?” He asked them, Sera put her utensils down and swallowed. She looked at Myungsoo pleadingly.

Hana’s brows went up, she knew that she was playing her cards right, Myungsoo doesn’t like being pressured by adults and he would never lie.

“Why aren’t you talking, oppa?” Hana hummed.

“We…We..” Myungsoo opened his mouth, Sera felt her stomach tightened.

“We haven’t decided yet, uncle. Because…I can’t marry your daughter.”

The elders halted, Sera saw her mother almost drop her wine on the table.

“Pretends to be shocked.” Hana gasped and snorted. She felt her father’s gaze on her and she stood up.

“Now, I don’t want to be involved in this family drama so, I’m going.” She said as she gathered her purse.

“Hana,~”

“I have to meet up with Mark and Hyemi, we have to celebrate too.” She chuckled before walking away from them.

 

 

“You did what?” Hyemi shrieked from the other line, Hana rolled her eyes and stepped out of her room. Mark was going to pick her up for some shopping.

“I had to do it, I have to be sure that she wont have time to bother me while I work there.”

“Hana, that was below the belt.” Hyemi reasoned out, Hana shrugged and got inside the elevator, grinning, she leaned back against the mirrored walls before speaking.

“Well, it sure wasn’t below the belt when she took my boyfriend from me and also, announced herself as SK Holdings’ next president, right?” Hana replied, Hyemi sighed from the other line.

It was true, Sera had bragged about her being next in line as soon as Hana left the country.

“Hana, what you just did, it’s..” Hyemi trailed off, the elevator doors pinged open and Hana hopped out of the machine.

She made her way to the lobby, constantly smiling at the staff who greeted her with warmth.

“I know what I just did, Hyemi. It was despicable, but it had to be done.”

“What if the mother and Sera tried to get back at you?” She asked, Hana sighed, she saw the empty luggage cart and she sat down on it.

“They can try.” She stated.

“Maybe it’s better if you discuss this with Kai, he can reason you out~”

“Whatever, we’ll drop by for dinner. Cook something better than your usual.” She chuckled before ending the call, Hana exhaled and looked around the lobby. It wasn’t really busy around this time of the day, and she liked seeing the staff being relaxed and chatting with the other guests who needed help.

“Are you busy?” A familiar voice asked, she looked up and blinked.

“Hana, I’m sorry. I know you were never comfortable around her, and you’ve told me that a thousand times. I just didn’t know how to…how to…”

“Get rid of her? Shake her off?” She finished for him, Kai sighed and sat beside her. Hana looked at her palms, her forehead creasing.

“I’m sorry, I should be the one protecting you from her, instead I keep on bringing her closer to you.” He spoke softly as he placed his hand over hers.

Hana shook her head and looked at him, her lips quirked up.

“Can I take the afternoon off?” She asked softly, Kai chuckled and playfully nudged her shoulder.

“You’re VP now, why would you ask permission from me?”

Hana chuckled and gave his hand a small squeeze.

“I’ve decided to move my office at the main branch, you’ll come by, right?” She asked hopefully, Kai nodded and slowly leaned over to kiss the side of her head.

“I’ll be there if you need me, you know that.” He promised, Hana smiled before standing up. She saw Mark’s car pulling over the hotel’s curb.

“Mark and I are out for some shopping..again, want to come?”

“No, but,” Kai held onto her arm, Hana paused and faced him.

“How about we get some snacks later?”

“Snacks?” She was confused, Kai nodded.

“Midnight snacks, I’ll come by your room and we can hit up Hongdae or something. Itaewon too.”

Hana chuckled and nodded, Kai let go of her arm.

“I’ll see you later, Nini. I have things I need to talk about.”

“Like what?” Kai asked as she slung her purse around her shoulder, Hana was literally glowing.

Something good must have happened.

“You’re probably going to chastise me for it, but you know I did it for a cause. See you later, GM-nim.”

 

“It’s not like I can stop you, enjoy the rest of your day.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++