016

It's You, Always

 

Hana bowed as she greeted the elders.

“Jungshik’s daughter, finally.” Mrs. Kim smiled before giving her a warm hug.

Hana paused briefly but she hugged the elder back.

“Back in the day, your mom and I would go shopping together. Seeing you now, makes me miss her more.” She said as she took Hana’s hands in her.

“I’m glad you grew up well, Hana.”

“Thank you, auntie. Appa mentioned that you and eomma were quite the combo.” She said in a light tone, Mr. Kim chuckled.

“Uncle, thank you for extending your invitation to me. Abeoji sends his apologies that he couldn’t come.”

“It’s fine, it’s good that he’s not here. I get to meet you instead.” He joked before shaking Hana’s extended hand, Kai grinned at her.

“Why don’t you introduce her to the others, Jongin-ah, I’m sure a lot of our guests are curious about her.” Mr. Kim suggested.

“No.” She mouthed at him, Kai ignored her and started pulling her along with him.

The Kim elders just smiled as they watched the two interact.

 

 

Hyemi pulled her gaze away from a colleague and peeked by her father’s shoulder. Kai had been pulling Hana along with him to introduce her to some prominent executives and she was relieved that they seem to accept Hana warmly.

Well, what’s not to accept?

But she could feel Hana’s discomfort from across the party, Hyemi smiled to herself. Somehow Kai managed to make her usually jumpy friend stay calm and collected, heck, he was probably the only one who made her stay in SK Gangnam bearable.

Hana smiled and excused herself from the Hong Banking Group director before following Kai, she tugged on his sleeve as she spoke with him.

“Heol.” Hyemi said with a huge grin.

Hana was explaining something to Kai, a waiter passed by behind them in a rush, he planted his palm on the small of her back and pulled the girl forward.

Hana didn’t seem affected at his sudden touch, she continued to talk. Kai was nodding along, occasionally smiling and nodding along.

Hyemi bit her lip to stop herself from squealing, her eyes roamed around the party, then she paused. Sera was seated on one of the tables and her eyes were on the two.

Hyemi studied the expression on the other girl’s face, Sera’s forehead was furrowed as she fiddled with her phone on the table, Hyemi’s eyes went to the other two again.

Now, Kai was laughing as Hana tried to argue over what she wanted to drink from the bar.

Sera’s frown deepened, Hyemi’s brows went up.

“Interesting.” She said to herself before joining her parents again.

 

 

“She’s pretty close with Kai now.”

Sera looked away and faced her mother, she gave her a nod.

“I noticed too, maybe it’s because they’ve been working closely together, eomma.”

The elder exhaled and crossed her arms, her eyes were on the two across the party. Kai and Hana were talking to each other; anyone could see how comfortable they were with each other. No one could deny that the two had chemistry.

“Look at those two,” Myungsoo’s mother chimed in, Sera smiled at her.

“Who would have known, Jungshik must have planned this.” She chuckled.

“Well, he arranged for Sammy to work together with Kai, he’s the best in the field.” Sera’s mother smiled coyly.

Sera glanced at the two again, Hana was speaking, she could see how the younger girl was frowning.

“Honestly, it wont be bad if those two end up together, Kai’s KB Financial Group’s only son after all. It would benefit both families.” Myungsoo’s mother commented.

Sera watched as Kai opened one arm to her, Hana walked towards him and let the male hug her. Her brows rose and she shook her head.

“They are probably the next power couple. It’s going to be big news by then.”

Sera rolled her eyes before excusing herself from the two elders.

 

 

“See? It wasn’t that bad.” Kai said as he handed the girl a drink, Hana shook her head at him before taking a small sip of the champagne.

“Sure, three out five asked me when do I plan to finally take over and why I wasn’t married yet, but cool, it wasn’t that bad.” She replied, he laughed.

“Like I said, it’s not bad.” He repeated, he followed Hana’s gaze, and his forehead creased. Sera and her mother were across them, chatting with a few friends.

“Let me guess, she said some things about me.” She faced him, Kai looked at his glass before nodding.

“I didn’t let her.”

Hana grew surprised at his reply, Kai shrugged before setting his drink down.

“It’s a family matter, I don’t want to be involved. You know that.” He said to her, Hana nodded back.

“Besides, I don’t have time for that, handling you is already trivial enough.” He nodded to himself, Hana chuckled.

“Ya.” She nudged him, Kai gave her one of his warm smiles before opening one arm to her.

“It was a long day, huh? I’m sorry that had to happen.” He said quietly, Hana’s brows rose, but she slowly went into his one-armed embrace comfortably.

“You have no idea.” She grumbled as Kai wrapped his arm around her.

“Tomorrow’s probably going to be a bit better.” He said playfully, Hana pulled back slightly to meet his gaze.

“Why?”

“We have VVIP coming in, the congressman and his wife.” He beamed at her, Hana groaned.

“Told you it’d be better.” He chuckled before letting go of the girl.

“I still get the banana milk refill, right?”

“Of course.” Kai touched her hair and gently tugged on her dark locks.

“Sera…she will try to turn you against me, Nini. That’s how she plays.” She suddenly spoke, Kai paused, the look on his face was thoughtful before he replied.

“I try not to pick sides, young miss.”

“But, you’ll take mine, right?” Hana raised her palm towards him, Kai smiled before placing his palm over hers.

 

“I most likely will.”

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++