Chapter 31

Be Mine Or Die

[Next morning, Sohee's house]

With a dejected look, opening the door, Nichkhun walked into her house.

"What are all of these boxes?" Nichkhun, seeing the many boxes laying around the house, he was surprise and confused.

"We. . . me and Ji Hoon are moving in with. . . Jiyong. . ." Sohee, scared of his reactions, she timidly answered.

"What. Did. You. Just. Say.?" Nichkhun, he asked in disbelief.

"So we are now back to square one. . .??" Nichkhun, he utters each word slowly as he was trying to control his anger.

"I'm sorry, I have no choice, it's just that---" Sohee.

"Stop. I don't want to hear you say sorry. I've heard it enough already. It's not that you don't have a choice, it's that you chose not to look for the other choices. So at the end, all of this is just a load of excuses for you to return back to his side. . ." Nichkhun.

Wordless, unable to explain herself, with a guilty conscience, she looks at him, begging for forgiveness.

"Tell me, what is so good about him that make you like this? In those 5 years, I've been trying to my best to erase him from your memories, yet no matter how much I try, I can never replace him. . . " Nichkhun, on the edge of tearing, he vented out his heart.

"Oppa, please. . . don't do this to me. . . what am I suppose to do when I'm---?" Sohee, feeling the pain deepen in her heart, she begged for him to stop forcing her for an answer.

"If I become a bad boy like him, will you pay more attention to me? Kwon Jiyong, that Bastard---!!" Nichkhun, irritated, he raised his voice.

The loud shouting caused Ji Hoon to wake up. Rubbing his eyes, he walks out to the living room. Heard Nichkhun cussing at Jiyong, he instantaneously ran toward the two of them.

"Nichkhun hyung, don't call Daddy that name!!" Ji Hoon, getting in between Nichkhun and Sohee, spreading his arms wide, shielding Sohee, looking straight up at Nichkhun, he defended Jiyong.

"D-Daddy??" Nichkhun, furious with Ji Hoon calling Jiyong dad, the man whose he despises the most, his number one enemy, he snapped.

"He. Knows.?" Nichkhun, he asked Sohee with a voice so mad that it seems like he was mentally strangling Jiyong inside his head.

Watching Nichkhun's crazy mad expression, she quickly grabbed Ji Hoon and put him behind her.

"I know you hate me for the sins I committed with Ji Hoon's dad. You can cuss at me, you can even kill me you want since I owe you way too much. But no matter what you can never hurt Ji Hoon, he is innocent. . ." Sohee.

"He is that Dog's son!!" Nichkhun, he shouted, pointing his finger at Ji Hoon.

"He IS also my son!" Sohee.

Sohee, the girl who he loves dearly, more than anyone in this world and even himself. Looking at her crying face and Ji Hoon's face that resembles his most hated rival, Jiyong, he was overwhelmed feeling of agony, regrets and hatred. Forcing himself to stay sane, with all of his effort, he was barely able to restrained himself from hurting anyone. 

"I need to leave. I don't know much longer I can suppress this murderous ego of mine. . . I need to stay away from you for the time being. . . I need to leave. . . someone might get hurt if I stay here---" Nichkhun, reaching his limit of tolerance, afraid that he will act on first impulse and harm someone, he was in an urgent to leave.

Nichkhun opened the door, trying to escape from the hurtful reality, yet he was met with the most poison and sharpest thorn in his heart.

"What are you doing here?" Nichkhun, furious, he stood in front of the door, blocking the way, preventing Jiyong from going inside.

"That is what I should be asking. Why are you here at my son and wife's house?" Jiyong, he glares back at Nichkhun.

Sensing the ugly argument to come, Sohee quickly bring Ji Hoon inside and locked the door.

"Your son and WIFE?" Nichkhun, provoked, he clenched his fists as his hands start to shake in anger.

"Why? Are you going to hit me? Haha. Are you mad that even though you were the first to met her, yet I  was the one to had it all. What kind of man are you? In those 5 years that I wasn't around, you had all the chances in the world to make a move on her, and you chose not to. Despite the fact that we are not married, we had an intimate night and created another life. Man up if you want to be my rival. Your level is still very low, Mr. Horvejkul." Jiyong, notices Nichkhun's shaking fists, he purposely triggered the Pandora's box buried inside of Nichkhun's heart.

Had enough with always being the second person, being push aside, his enormous angers that has been bottled up inside finally spilled. Acting on first impulse, he throws his fist up, trying to punch Jiyong's face. However, his fist was stopped as Sohee ran in between them. Without a thought, seeing the possibility of Jiyong being hurt, she just naturally throw herself in front of him holding her arms out, scared, she closed her eyes and shielded Jiyong.

Witnessing the frightened look on her face, knowing well that she could've been hit by him for trying to protect Jiyong, clenched his fist even tighter as it was upright an inch away from her face, shutting his eyes tight, tried hard to swallow down his anger, Nichkhun forcefully putted his fist down.

Shocked by her sudden action, Jiyong pulled her into his embrace and check on her as he touches her face.

"Are you crazy? Do you know how close that was? You could have been hurt!!" Jiyong, anxious with worries, he shouted at her.

Looking at Jiyong's worried face, slightly closing her eyes, she shake her head, ensuring him that she is okay.

"AAAAAHHHHH!!!" Nichkhun, observing Sohee's actions and her caring toward Jiyong, mentally transformed himself into the green monster, he punched the glass window, causing it to shattered and injured his hand with many cuts.

Sohee jumped a little with the shock of Nichkhun's mad shouting and the loud sound of breaking glasses. Eyewitness the gentle, sweet, polite and respectful Nichkhun suddenly turned violent, she was left speechless in disbelief. 

In a panic, she separated herself away from Jiyong and hurried over to Nichkhun.

"Lemme see your hand." Sohee, she grabbed his bleeding hand.

Giving her an icing-cold look, Nichkhun pushed her hands away.

"Let it be a permanent scar, that way I will remember to never be like this again." Nichkhun, despite the nonstop bleeding on his hand, he wasn't able to feel one bit of pain from it, in fact his heart ached so badly that his emotions started to become numbed.

"Please don't be like this way, let me bandage your hand for you, please?" Sohee, looking at his emotionless, yet pitiful face, she begged for him to let her treat his injured hand.

"I need to be alone, so for the time being. . . don't look for me." Nichkhun, tired in trying to stop his uncontrollable pain from spreading, he once again pushed her hands away and walked out of the door.

"Nichkhun oppa---!!" Sohee, worried, she tried to run out of the room, following him, but before that, with one hand, pulling her back, Jiyong stopped her.

"Please let me go treat his hand. He hurt himself because of me. . . it's all because of me that he's like this. . . ---" Sohee, she pleaded to Jiyong with her crying face.

"What about me? My hand is also injured . . . who do you think is the reason for my hand to be bandaged? Don't you worry about me at all?" Jiyong, with an unpleased expression on his face, he continued on to hold her hand tight, forbidden her from going after Nichkhun. 

"He has no one to treat the wounds on his hand. . . his parents and the people that he knows, they are all in America. He's all alone here in Korea, he has no one. . . no one but me. . ." Sohee, sobbing in tears, she begged Jiyong.

"Go. Run after him. Do whatever you want." Jiyong, tired, he simply lets go of her hand, looking away with a disappointed face.

Her heart told her to immediately run out of the door to get Nichkhun and treat his hand. She doesn't want Nichkhun  to be hurt all by himself, but neither does she wants to leave Jiyong behind. Being thorn between to two, with a worried heart and apologetic conscience she broke down into tears.

Quite sometime later, when everything has been cooled down and the all of the stuffs has already been put away, the truck drove off ahead to Jiyong's house.

And while Sohee was sitting silently by herself in the car, Jiyong went back inside the house, unlocked the door and brought Ji Hoon out to his car. Like that, the mother and son moved.

[In front of Jiyong's house]

As soon as the car arrived in front of the house, Sohee got out of the car and walked to the back to get the boxes out of the trunk. Yet before her hands were able to touch the boxes; silently, Jiyong walked fast ahead of her and grab the boxes out first. Not saying a word, he would just carry them inside the house.

Felt the little happiness inside of her, knowing that he was being caring toward her, a smile grew on her face as she walks back over to the car to get Ji Hoon. Holding his hand, the mother and son entered the house.

Taking the first step inside the familiar house that she once visited, she would carefully scan the surrounding as each of the memories of them rewind itself back to her. 

She smiled looking at the dinning table where they had their first breakfast together after an forgettable night.

"What are you doing just standing there?" Jiyong, he speaks as he was carrying the boxes in his arms, half way up the stairs.

His words interrupted her thoughts and returned her back from her land of memories; getting herself back together, she takes Ji Hoon up the stairs.

"Waaaah~~~ Is this my room?! Really?!!" Ji Hoon, excited, he lets go of Sohee's hand and start to run around wildly in the spacious room.

"Waaah!! Daddy is the Best!! Thank you Daddy!!" Ji Hoon, he ran over and hug Jiyong.

"Glad to know that you like it." Jiyong, he laughed a little as he messes Ji Hoon's hair.

"Where are all of the maids? There is no one around the house. . ." Sohee.

"Since we are now living together as a family, I didn't want the house to be filled with people so I sent them all to my parents' house. I don't want Ji Hoon to experience what I did as a kid. He needs to know what a true family feels like and he needs to feel the care and love from us, his parents, not from the stranger maids and assistants." Jiyong, he continued on to look at Ji Hoon while answering Sohee.

"That's right. . . he once told me about his family . . . growing up in a family with no real feeling of love like that. . . " Sohee, she thought to herself as she sees through Jiyong's feelings despite him putting up the indifference act.

"Anyway, your room is right next door. It's late so you should go organize the room and put your stuff away." Jiyong.

"Aren't Mommy and Daddy going to sleep in the same room??" Ji Hoon, he looks at Jiyong and Sohee with a puzzled look on his face.

Hearing such question coming out from their own son, the couple becomes extremely embarrassed, they would both turn their heads away to the opposite direction, trying to avoid meeting each other's eyes.

"Mommy, we have been away from Daddy for so long. . . Don't you miss Daddy? Why are you sleeping in a different room?" Ji Hoon, holding her hand, he would frown his face at her.

"Ummmm. . . . Ummmm. . . that. . . I . . . I . . . Ummm. . ." Sohee, she stuttered as she doesn't have an answer to his question.

"Of course Mommy and Daddy will be sleeping together in the same room. There's no need for Ji Hoon to worry." Jiyong, he put on a smile for the little innocent Ji Hoon.

"Let's decorate Ji Hoon's room okay?" Jiyong, avoiding Sohee, he focuses his attention on Ji Hoon.

"Ji Hoon can decorate my own room, Mommy and Daddy should go to your room and organize Mommy's stuffs. Go, go!!" Ji Hoon, with all of his effort, he pushes the two out of his room and quickly closed the door.

Being pushed out of the room, the couple stood awkwardly in front of the door as their eyes meet, staring intensively at one another.

Within a few moments, blinking his eyes, Jiyong quickly looked away, breaking off the stare. Not saying much, he quietly walks off ahead to his and soon to be their room, following by Sohee.

[Inside their room]

Sitting a foot away from each other on the bed, in a long and awkward silent, they would look around at the room, staring blankly into space, doing anything but conversate with each other. 

Finally, after the eternity-like five minutes, can't take it any longer, Jiyong stood up.

"I'm going to take a shower, you can organize your stuffs first." Jiyong, he hurried into the bathroom to avoid her.

Immediately, she felt a major relief the very moment the bathroom door was closed. As if she was holding in her breaths for the last five minutes, she starts to breathe in and out heavily as she holds onto her chest.

After calming her nervousness down, she starts to open the boxes and unpack her clothes; bringing them into his big walking closet, she hung her clothes up next to his.

Finished putting her belonging away, she starts to wander around the room. Staring at the spacious white and empty room, she notices that the picture frames and many other decorations that were once there are now all gone. The room that was once full of life is now filled with the heavy feeling of empty and loneliness.

Just as she begins to wonder how he has been living in the past five years that she was not around, Jiyong came out from the bathroom wearing his blue plaided pajamas.

"I'm done. You can go shower now." Jiyong, finished showering, with the towel in his hands, he speaks as he towel dry his hair. 

Taking a quick look at him, walking on the opposite side that he was standing, avoiding his look, she quietly makes her way to the bathroom and closed the door.

Still drying his hair, he walks over to the bed.

"She forgot her clothes. . . what a clumsy woman. . ." Jiyong, he picks up her pajamas that was laying on the bed and walk over to the bathroom.

"You forgot your clothes---" Jiyong, without much thinking, he naturally opened the door and entered the bathroom.

"AAAHHH!!! What are you doing?" Sohee, she screamed at the sight of Jiyong and quickly covered herself up with the towel.

"Isn't it obvious? I'm giving you your clothes!" Jiyong.

"Well you could have knocked on the door before coming in." Sohee.

"Why are you blaming me when you're the one who didn't lock the door?" Jiyong, he continued on to look at her.

"What are you so afraid of? What part of you haven't I seen already? I Saw Everything Already!" Jiyong, he chuckled a little as he looks at her.

"It's not like this is the first time that I've seen it . . ." Jiyong, he mumbles to himself.

Not answering back, she just looks at him with her electric stare.

"Here!! Take your clothes! I'm leaving!" Jiyong, shouting at her, he looks away and handed the clothes over.

As soon as she takes the clothes, he immediately walks out of the bathroom and closed the door shut.

"What was that all about?" Sohee.

The moment he closed the door, pressing against his chest, he started to breathe heavily as he leans against the door for support.

"What is this?? Calm down. . . calm down. . . Yah, Kwon Jiyong, this is not the first time that you've seen her like that, why are you so excited? Why am I like this?? Crazy, I must have been crazy. . ." Jiyong, he talked to himself, trying to calm down his excited heart.

"Ji Hoon. . . Ji Hoon, that's right! Let's go check on Ji Hoon!" Jiyong, in an urgent to calm himself down, he left the room and went to Ji Hoon's room.

Passed over thirty minutes later, finished showering and drying herself up, Sohee went to Ji Hoon's room to check on the father and son. In her pajamas, she slightly opened the door and take a sneak peek inside. Smiling, her heart warned up as she watches the sight of Jiyong fatherly read the book while Ji Hoon is sleeping soundly on the bed.

Aware of Sohee's presence by the door, Jiyong closed the book, kissed Ji Hoon goodnight and begin to head toward the door. Turning off the light, he carefully closed the door. 

Standing in front of their son's room, in a sudden silent, the two caught themselves being lost at the passionate looks of each other's eyes.

"It's. . . it's late. We should go to sleep." Jiyong, snapping out of the passionate stare, his feet moves quickly as they walk back to their room.

[Inside their room]

Standing in the opposite directions, clueless on how to resolve the problematic sleeping situation, they dozed off staring at the bed in extreme silent.

Can't stand the awkward silent any longer, Sohee made a move, she gets on the bed and grabbed the pillow.

"I'll sleep on the floor." Sohee, placing the pillow down on the ground, she intended to sleep there.

Yet before she was able to lay down, almost instantly, Jiyong grabbed her hand and pulled her back, without a word, he just stares at her with much longing in his eyes telling her not to sleep on the cold ground by herself. 

Back facing against each other, distantly laying together on the same bed for the first time in five years; due to the butterflies in their stomachs, accompanied with the anxious minds, neither one of them were able to close their eyes and sleep. In such situation, feared to start a conversation, the two lay still on the bed, not moving an inch, they both pretended to be asleep.

No matter how much he tried, he just can't bring himself to sleep due to the many thoughts running wild in his head. Skeptical about his feelings, wanting to talk to Sohee about their complicated pasts, Jiyong continuously turns his body back and forth. 

"Is she sleeping? Should I wake her up? . . . I want to ask why . . ." Jiyong, laying beside her, watching her back, he moves his hand in closer and closer to her, yet his big pride unable his hand to approach her.

"What if she give me the answer that I don't want. . .?? Will she tries to leave me again. . .??" Jiyong, filled up with questions that he can't bring himself to ask her, frustrated at the situation, he angrily turned his body around and covered his head with the pillow, trying hard to fall asleep.

As the nervousness keeps her from falling asleep, feared that her movements will make noise and wake him up, she didn't dare to turns and move her body. Inside of her, a small light of happiness brighten up now that they have united as a family. Wanting to provide a happy family and the feeling of family love, she many times thought about telling him the reason why she left with Nichkhun to America, she wanted to speak up and ask him whether those heartbreaking words were actually his true feelings. The more she debates, the more curious she becomes, she keeps on hesitating to ask him. Memories after memories, one by one each and every single one of their memories came to her mind. Thinking deeper into their happy yet teary pasts, she begins to realize how much love she still have for him despite the many years that they were separated.

The night falls deeper as the two continue on to struggle to fall asleep.