CHAPTER THIRTY ONE

LOVE REQUIRES SACRIFICE

Ding! Dong!

Irene open the door and saw Chorong was drench. Irene widen her eyes and move aside for Chorong to walk in. When she was in the house, Irene ask “What happen to you, Chorong?”

Chorong broke down and hug her. Irene hug her tightly and try to cool her down by rubbing her back up and down. Chorong was crying in Irene hug.

“Hey! Why are you crying like this Chorong? What really happen girl?”

Chorong didn’t say anything and continue crying. When she cool down, Irene told her to take a hot shower and change if not she’ll get sick. Chorong just nod and walk in her room.

When Chorong was taking her shower, someone call Irene. Irene answers it.

“Yes Changsub. What is it?”

“Did Chorong arrive home?” Changsub ask in worry voice.

“Yes she did. She was drench and crying. What really happen Changsub?”

“I don’t know. Suddenly, she ran away. If she’s home then its fine then. Thank you Irene. One more think can you just stay and accompany her today. If anything happen, call me.”

“Sure. I don’t mind. Okay then. Bye.” Then she hang up. She walk to Haneul and said.

“Hey prince, it time for you to sleep.”

“But aunty peach, I want to play.” Haneul said.

“I know. But you say that you have to go somewhere tomorrow isn’t it. So you need to sleep now.”

“Okay. Let me say goodnight to mommy first.”

Irene smile and nod her head. She walk to Chorong’s room and knock the door. When Chorong open it, she smiles looking at Haneul.

“Good night mommy. I’m going to sleep now. You promise me to bring me to grandpapa’s house.”

“Good boy. Well, do you want to sleep with me tonight?”

Haneul nod excitedly and said, “Yes. I love to, mommy.” He ran into the room and lay down in the middle of the bed. Chorong smile. She told Irene to wait for her and she’ll be there in just a moment. Irene nod and walk away. Chorong lie down on Haneul side and hug him until he fall asleep. When he falls asleep, she gives a kiss on Haneul head and walk to the living room where Irene was. She takes a sit beside Irene and takes the coffee Irene give to her.

“So what happen Chorong? Why were you crying and drench when you arrive?”

Chorong take a sip from her coffee with her eyes close. Irene looks at her and let it be. “If you don’t want to tell me I don’t care. Take your time. I will not push you. But remember one thing. I told you this before; I’m going to tell you again. I will always be there for you.”

Chorong smile and nod. Then she asks, “Aren’t you going to go home?”

“Nope. Changsub told me to stay here with you.”

“Forget about it babe. Go home. Anyway I’ll be going early tomorrow.”

“No. Not going to happen. Changsub will kill me.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll tell him. Go home Irene. Please.”

“Okay fine. If Changsub scold me, I’ll kill you.”

“Don’t worry. Now my son’s aunty peach, go home.”

Irene smile, stand up, say bye and went home. After Irene walk away, she wash the mug and walk back in her room looking at Haneul. Tears start to fall.

“Haneul ah, what should mommy do? Your daddy is getting married again. Means he was able to forget about me. Your granny must be happy. At last, her dream come true. I’m sorry Haneul if you will never see your daddy. But I make sure you’ll be happy.” Chorong said to her son as if he can hear it. She wipes her tears and kiss Haneul head. Then she lie down beside Haneul, hug him and fall asleep.

***

The next morning after breakfast, Chorong and Haneul take the bus to their Papa’s house. Haneul is so excited. When they arrive at the place, Haneul went to papa and hug his leg. Papa was happy and pick him and give him a kiss on the cheek.

“Hey there little boy. How are you?”

“I’m fine grandpapa.”

“Where is your mommy?”

“I’m here papa. He was so exited so he ran first. How are you papa?” Chorong said and give him a light hug.

“I’m fine. Let’s go in. Your momma will be very happy to see both of you here.”

Chorong and Haneul nod and walk in. Papa put Haneul down and he ran to Momma and hug her.

“Hey my little peanut. How are you?”

“I’m fine grandmomma. How are you granny?”

She kiss his cheek and said “Granny is fine. Chorong how are you?”

“I’m fine momma. How are you doing?”

“I’m fine. Just busy since there are so many kids now. Come, Doo Joon must be happy to see you here.”

“His here?” Chorong ask. Momma just smile and nod. They walk to the living room and saw Doo Joon was playing with the kids. Haneul told Momma to put him down and Momma did. He ran and call Doo Joon. Doo Joon turn and kneel down. Haneul ran in his arm and hug Doo Joon.

“Hi Haneul. You grow so fast.” He said picking up Haneul and walk to Chorong.

“Hi Chorong. How are you?”

“I’m fine oppa. How are you?”

“Like always. Healthy.”

He put Haneul down and Haneul ran to play with the kids. Chorong and Doo Joon walk out and start talking.

“So how's live Chorong?”

Chorong smile and said “It okay. Like always. Nothing’s new. How about you oppa?”

“I’m fine. Surviving. Are you sure Chorong? You look pale.”

“Yes I’m fine. Just didn’t get a good sleep yesterday.”

“Don’t lie to me, Chorong. You’ve been crying isn’t it. Your eyes are swollen. Why did you cry Chorong? Is it because he’s getting married again?”

Chorong was shock and look at Doo Joon. “How did you know oppa?”

“You didn’t read the paper this morning isn’t it. Your husband is a billionaire Chorong. It’s all over the news, Chorong. Why are you suffering yourself Chorong? Why?”

“This is what I choose and I know I’ll suffer when I leave him. Just let it be. You are suffering yourself to oppa. It’s been 10 years now unnie left us and she even told you to find another girl. Why didn’t you?”

“My story is different Chorong. We were separated by death. Your unnie left me because she die. If she’s still alive, you might already have three or four nephew or niece. Look, Chorong is still not late. You’ll regret it later if you don’t save your marriage now. Suho is still alive and I believe that he still love you. If not why would he explain that he is not getting engage last night and leave that girl on the stage alone?”

Chorong frown and asks “What do you mean by that?”

Doo Joon give her the newspaper and told her to read it. “Read this Chorong. Remember, is still not late to run to him and explain. He’ll understand. Suho is still alive and you still have chance, Chorong. Grab it before it’s too late. Don’t be like me. Until now, I regret that I didn’t save your unnie by marrying her, stay by her side and until now I still miss her every single day.”

“But his mother hates me oppa. You won’t understand.”

“I know I won’t understand but what you want. What about your happiness? Just because you want your mother-in-law to be happy, everyone around you and including yourself suffer. Just because of one person happiness.”

“I have Haneul and he makes me happy.”

“But he still needs his father. He will ask you one day that where is his father and why he is not with him. What will you answer that time? Chorong I know you so well. You are like your own sister. And you will be happy with Suho. Haneul happiness is your happiness. And Haneul happiness is having his mother and father together. I want you to find your happiness to Chorong. Don’t be like me. Living with regret and missing someone every single time. Think again what I say Chorong.” Then he give Chorong a light hug from side and walk away.

Chorong look at Haneul and smile. tears start to fall from her eyes. “I want to be happy oppa and I want Haneul to have a father to. But it’s hard when you know you’re a jinx and your own mother-in-law hates you. I’ll be more happy just by myself.”

***

After dinner, Momma ask Chorong “Chorong, are you okay? You look so pale.” She walk to Chorong and place her palm on Chorong forehead and was shock.

“Chorong baby, your hot. You have fever. Wait here. I’ll go and take medicine for you.”

Momma walk to the kitchen and take medicine for Chorong and give to her. Chorong thank her and eat it. Then she said “I’ll get going now momma, papa, and Doo Joon oppa. It’s getting late. I have to work and Haneul need to go to school.”

“Let me send you. You’re not well. It’s dangerous to go home by bus.”

Chorong was really weak so she just nod. After saying bye and hugs Papa and Momma, Chorong, Haneul and Doo Joon went home.

Inside the car, Doo Joon look at how pale Chorong is and it worry him. Then he remember that he need to said something to her so he did.

“Chorong, I have something to tell you.”

Chorong look at Doo Joon and ask “What is it oppa?”

“I have a meeting tomorrow.”

“Okay. Why are you telling me this?” Chorong ask. She felt weird. Why is Doo Joon telling her that.

“The person that I have meeting tomorrow is….Suho. And I got to know just now that his parents will be there.”

Chorong was in shock but quickly cover it. She look at Doo Joon and smile. “Okay.” That’s all Chorong was able to say.

When they arrive, Chorong thank Doo Joon. But before walking out the car, Chorong stop and turn around to look at Doo Joon and said “Oppa, please control your anger tomorrow. I know you hate Mrs. Kim because what she did to me and Suho because the way he act toward me. But please just control your anger for me. It's not their fault with how they act toward me.”

“I can’t promise that. But I’ll try.”

Chorong smile and thank him again and walk into her apartment carrying Haneul. Then they went to sleep.

***

The next morning, Chorong was so weak. She barely can stand up from the bed but she need to get Haneul ready. But first, she take her phone and call Irene.

“Hello Irene.”she said in her weak voice.

“Yes Chorong. Why do you sound so weak? Are you okay?”

“I think I have a fever. I don’t think I can go to the office today. Can you tell Changsub and Mr. Lee.”

“Okay. I’ll tell them. You get rest and eat your medicine.”

“Okay. Thank you.” then she hang up. Then she call Haneul teacher so that Haneul can take the bus to school.

She brace herself and stand up. After getting Haneul ready and eat his breakfast, both of them walk down and wait for the bus. Just in time the bus arrive. She thank the teacher and walk back upstairs after the bus drive away. After taking her medicine she went back to sleep.

In the evening, at Mr. Lee office, Suho came to talk about his deal with Mr. Lee and in the same time to see Chorong but he was disappointed. Chorong wasn’t there. So he ask Irene.

“Hi. Irene right?” Suho ask.

Irene look at Suho and nod her head. “Yes sir. What can I do for you?”

“I just want to answer. Where is Chorong?”

“Oh Chorong. She’s sick. She call me earlier telling me that she have a bad fever. Maybe because of what happen to her.”

“What happen to her?”

Irene didn’t know why Suho was asking so many question about Chorong. She didn’t want to answer but don’t want to get scold from Suho so she tell him.

“Last Saturday, she went to the Mr. Changsub’s friend party, but she came home early and was soaking wet from the rain. Maybe because of that.”

“Okay. Thank you Irene.”

Irene smile and bow. Then she continue doing her work. Suho was worry. Is she okay? How bad is her fever? Is it the same bad when she got fever like before? Chorong why are you making me worry. God, Suho why you even care. You suppose to hate her and don’t care about her. forget about it Suho. Suho thought.

For whole day, he couldn’t work and was thinking about Chorong’s health. It’s 5 o’clock and Suho can’t take it anymore. He walk out from the office and went straight to Chorong’s apartment. He still remember that he write down Chorong’s address when Changsub give him her employee form.

When Suho arrive at Chorong place, it was on the same time for Haneul come back. He look at the main entrance and saw Chorong was standing with a smile. It was a weak one but she look happy. Then a boy walk to Chorong and hug her. Suho frown. Then he look at the boy properly and he thought that he look like someone. It take a few minutes before he remember that the boy look exactly like him when he was small.

“That boy look just like me. Why is he look like me? Chorong wasn’t pregnant when she left me. Was she?” Suho said to himself.

When Chorong turn around holding Haneul hand, her head start to feel dizzy. She stop for a while. Haneul got worry and ask “Mommy, are you okay? You look not well.”

Chorong smile and said “Yeah I’m fine. Just a minute.” Just then she faint and fall on the floor. Haneul was shock and shook Chorong’s body telling her to wake up. He start to cry. Suho who saw that, run out from the car and run toward Chorong. Haneul look at Suho and said crying “Uncle help my mommy. I don’t know what happen to her.”

Suho was shock when Haneul call Chorong mommy but that time he was more worry about Chorong. He look at Haneul and said “Okay, but you need to tell me where is your home.”

Haneul nod and walk to the lift. Suho just follow Haneul. When they arrive at the house, Haneul key in the pin and unlock the door. Haneul told Suho that her mother room is there. Haneul on the other side take Chorong’s phone and dial a number calling someone.

“Hello Aunty sunshine. It’s me Haneul.

“Yes handsome. Why are you calling me? Is there a problem.”

“Aunty sunshine, mommy is sick. He fall on the floor suddenly. I don’t know what happen to mommy. Can you come.” Haneul said in his cry.

“Okay. Wait there okay. Don’t cry Haneul. I’ll be there okay. Aunty is on the way. Where are you and your mommy now?”

“I’m in the house. An uncle come and carry mommy up.”

“Okay, make sure the door is open. You know is dangerous to let an outsider in isn’t it. If anything happen, shout okay.”

“Okay aunty. Be fast okay.” Then both of them hang up. Haneul did what his Sunshine aunty told him and went to open the door.

In the room, Suho lie Chorong down and pull the duvet to cover her. He sit at the edge of the bed and caress the hair. Then Haneul climb on the bed and sit beside his mother. Then he said “Mommy, wake up. I promise I will be a good boy. I won’t make you mad.” Haneul said and he can’t stop crying.

Suho was hurt to see Haneul crying and said “Hey, don’t cry. Your mommy will be okay.” Suho pull him and make him sit on his lap and wipe the tears. Then Suho wanted to ask about him, Chorong and his dad.

“Hey little boy, what’s your name?”

“My name is Kim Haneul. What’s your name uncle?”

“My name Kim Jun Myeon but people call me Suho. How old are you?”

“I’m 3 years old. You have the same name as my daddy. Daddy name is Suho too.”

Suho was shock. His three years old. Chorong left me four years ago. Then he ask “Really. Where is your daddy Haneul ah?”

“I don’t know. I ask mommy once, but mommy said daddy is far away.”

“So when will he come back?” Suho ask. He was so curious.

“I don’t know. Mommy never told me. Mommy said daddy is busy. He will come back but mommy don’t know when.”

“Do you have your daddy picture? Can I look at your daddy picture?”

“I don’t have it but mommy do. She always cry looking at daddy picture. Mommy miss daddy too.”

“Where is it. Can I have a look?”

Haneul told Suho to put him down and walk to Chorong’s head. He slip his hand under Chorong’s bed and was about to take it out when he heard Chorong murmured in her sleep. “Suho, I’m sorry I have to leave you but believe me I love you so much. I miss you so much.” he pull his hand away.

Then Haneul said “Mommy miss daddy so much. Mommy always say that in her sleep. When daddy come back, I will scold daddy because making mommy cry.”

Then Haneul wanted to ask when was his birthday when someone walk in the house calling Haneul name.

“Haneul ah, aunty is here. Where are you? How your mommy?”

Haneul step down and walk to the door and calling his aunty. “Sunshine aunty, I’m here in mommy room.”

Then his aunty walk in the room and saw Haneul. But she stop when she saw the person infront of her and same goes with Suho. Only one word came out from their mouth.

“Oppa!”

“Namjoo!”