CHAPTER THIRTY

LOVE REQUIRES SACRIFICE

When Chorong was getting ready to sleep, someone call her. She look at the phone and pick it up.

“Hello. Yes Changsub. What is it?”

“Hey babe, are you free tomorrow?”

“Yes I am. Why are you asking?”

“Well I need you to a company me to somewhere?”

“Somewhere? Where?”

“Yes somewhere. Can you follow me?”

“Why don’t you ask Irene? If I go, who will take care of my son, dumb?”

“I know I can ask her but it’s possible. I don’t want her to know my feeling yet. I just want someone that I’ll be comfortable with. If Irene follow me, it will be very awkward and she’ll ask so many question. So please. You can ask Irene to take care of Haneul. She love that cheeky boy.”

“I don’t know Changsub. I’m not sure.”

“Please Chorong. I’m begging you. I really need you to be there with me. I need my friend so that I won’t be bored.”

“Okay fine. You really can’t take no as answer isn’t it? So where are you going to take me.”

“It’s my friend birthday party.”

“You know I hate birthday party isn’t it.”

“I know but please Chorong.”

“Okay. What should I wear?”

“Anything, but formal dress.”

“Okay then. I’ll try to find something in my cabinet.”

“Okay. Thank you. if you have nothing to where, call me. I’ll buy something for you.”

“Okay. What time is the party?”

“Night. At 8.30pm.”

“Okay then. See you tomorrow evening.”

“Okay. Thanks Chorong. Bye.” Then both of them hang up.

Then Chorong beam her face on the pillow and shout. When she relax, she turn back and said “I’ll just look for the dress tomorrow.” then fall asleep.

The next morning, she cook breakfast for her and Haneul. When she was done, she walk to her son room and wake Haneul up.

“Hey there my handsome prince. Wake up.”

“I don’t want to mommy. I’m sleepy.”

“No baby, you need to wake up. Mommy cook your favourite breakfast today.”

Haneul immediately open his eyes and sit down and ask “Really mommy. Did you cook my favourite breakfast. Did you cook beef kimchi stew and egg roll.”

Chorong nod her head and said “Yes I need. Specially for you my prince. Now stand up and go and take your shower okay.”

“Okay mommy. Thank you. I love you.”

“I love you to. Now shall we go and take shower?”

Haneul nod his head and both of them walk to the bathroom. After shower and change, Chorong place Haneul on the chair and bring the food to him and they start to eat together.

“You are just like your daddy. Really like beef kimchi stew and egg roll.” Then Chorong realize what she just say.

“Really mommy. He must be happy that I’m like him. When is he coming home mommy?” Haneul ask.

Chorong startle. She really don’t know what to answer, so she lie “Sooner son. Sooner. We just need to wait. Now eat your food.”

Haneul nod his head and start to eat eagerly. Chorong just smile looking at Haneul. I’m sorry son, I have to lie again to you. Chorong taught.

After their breakfast, Chorong and Haneul spend their time together watching cartoons and doing fun activities like always. Then Haneul ask “Mom are we going to papa’s house tomorrow?”

Chorong smile and nod “Of course we are. Why did you ask?”

“Yes. Just that I really like to go there. I have so many friend there. Does uncle Doo Joon will be there too?”

“I don’t know son. You know uncle Doo Joon is busy. We’ll see tomorrow okay.” Chorong mess with his hair and smile at her son. Then she continue “Haneul, mommy have to go out today to accompany uncle Changsub to someone’s birthday party. So your aunty Irene will take care of you. Is it okay with you?” Chorong ask. She was worry if Haneul will be mad.

Haneul smile and nod his head “I don’t mind mommy. I like Irene aunty. She’s sweet. Will my sunshine aunty will be here to?”

“I’m sorry baby. Aunty sunshine won’t be here today. She can’t come since she have something to take care of. But she promise that she’ll come tomorrow or on Monday like always.”

“Okay then. I don’t care. If my peach aunty is here. You can go and have fun mommy.”

“Thank you my son. You are so understanding. Are you sure your 3 years old.”

“Yes mommy. I’m 3 years old. I’m going to be 4 soon.”

“Really? I didn’t know my son is a grown up boy now.”

“Yes mommy. I’m big now. I hope daddy will be here for my birthday this year.”

Again Chorong was shock to hear it. She didn’t expect to hear that from her son mouth. Then Haneul said “He will be isn’t it mommy? He will be here on my birthday isn’t it?”

Chorong smile just to cover her worry face and said “Sure son. Maybe he’ll be here.”

Haneul smile and continue watching television. Chorong really don’t know what to do that moment. How should I tell you my son that is possible for your dad be here.

***

That evening, after taking shower, Chorong open the cabinet and try to find a suitable dress for tonight. While she was still trying to find the dress, the doorbell rang. She walk out from the room and open the door and saw Changsub standing dress up in full suit. Changsub smile at her and she smile back. Then Changsub ask “You’re not ready yet?”

“I really don’t know what to wear? I don’t know what kind of dress will suit for that party.”

“Come let me help.” He walk in, open his shoes and saw Irene’s sandal. He look at Chorong and said “Irene is here?”

Chorong just nod her head. Changsub smile. At least he can see Irene today. He miss that girl so much. When he and Chorong walk in he saw Irene was playing with Haneul and smile again.

One day, you’ll be playing with our kids Irene. He taught. Chorong saw that and hit his shoulder.

“Wake up dude. If you like her just tell her. Stop being a stalker like that.” Chorong said.

Changsub smile sheepishly and said “Sorry. Now shall we go and choose your dress?”

Chorong smile and walk into her room. She open her cabinet and ask Changsub to choose a dress for her. most of the dress is from Changsub for the annual party. Then he took out a dress that make Chorong’s smile disappear. It was the dress that she wear on her and Suho’s engagement party.

“Here. Wear this. I never saw you wear this before.”

Chorong shook her head and said “No. Not this dress. Please. Choose another one.”

“Why? It’s beautiful.”

“I know but please Changsub. Other dress.”

“Okay. Fine. I really wanted to see you wear this.” He hang it back in the cabinet and try to find different dress. Then he find a very suitable dress for the party. It was a lace cap sleeves coral short cocktail dress.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f734265556e5931666b3454655a773d3d2d3333373332383835312e313438396233323663663933383133363538353630363632323335342e6a7067

“Here wear this.” Changsub give the dress to Chorong. She took it and smile. “Okay then. Now you can go out and look at your lover of your heart.” Changsub nod and walk out. Chorong change into the dress. It’s good that she did her makeup and hair earlier. She just let her hair wavy freely. When she was done, she walk out her room and said “Let’s go Changsub. I’m done.”

Everyone look at her and smile. Haneul run to her, hug her leg and said “You look beautiful mommy.”

Chorong kneel down and said “Thank you Haneul ah.” Then kiss his cheek.

“Shall we go now.” Changsub said.

Chorong nod and look back at Haneul and said “Now listen to me Kim Haneul. You behave okay. Don’t bully your peach aunty here and listen to her okay.”

“Okay mommy. I will. I will behave and listen to my peach aunty. I promise.”

“Okay. I’ll get going now. Bye.” And kiss his cheek again.

Haneul smile and wave his hand to Chorong. After wearing her sandal heels and then both of them went to the party.

***

A the party, Chorong start to feel uncomfortable. She never leave Changsub side and Changsub did the same since heknow that Chorong knows no one here. When the main guest walk in, everyone look at the main entrance, including Changsub and Chorong. When she saw the family, she widen her eyes. She can’t believe what she just saw. Then she pull Changsub arm and make him look at her. Changsub smile and ask “What is it Chorong?”

“You tell me the truth. Who’s birthday party is it?” Chorong ask in a very worry face.

Changsub smile and said “It’s my aunt’s birthday party. Suho’s mom.”

“Why didn’t you tell me Changsub this?”

Changsub frown and said “I didn’t think it was necessary to tell. Why are you so mad and worry.”

“God! Changsub. You say it was your friend birthday party. Why did you lie to me, man?”

“I’m sorry Chorong. If I say is Suho’s mom birthday party, you’ll never agree to come. I know you hate him since the day at the restaurant. And I realize when you saw him for the first time, you fell really uncomfortable. You look like you really hate that he is near you. That’s why I lie. I’m sorry Chorong.”

“You shouldn’t do that. You should just tell me the truth. I want to go back home.”

“No Chorong. You promise to stay until the end of the party.”

“I’m so gonna kill you Lee Changsub.”

“I’m really sorry Chorong.”

For the whole time at the party, Chorong try to run away from being so near to Mr. & Mrs. Lee and Suho. When she was trying to walk away from Mrs. Lee, she bump into someone and apologize. She look at the person and was shock.

“Chorong unnie!” Namjoo said in shock.

Chorong place her index finger on her lips telling Namjoo to keep quiet and said “Namjoo, keep your voice down. I don’t want your mom and your oppa know I’m here.”

“Sorry. What are you doing here? It’s a surprise.”

“I know. Even I don’t know why I’m here. I’m here because of your cousin, Changsub.”

Namjoo hug Chorong and said “I miss you.”

Chorong hug her back and just smile. Then they start to talk. Namjoo help Chorong to keep out of Suho and Mr. Lee sight.

What they didn’t know was, when Chorong bump into Namjoo, Suho was there. He was shock that Chorong was there. Since that time, he was looking at Chorong.

She look so beautiful in that dress. She always take may breath away everytime I saw her. I wish I can rip the dress. God! Looking her wearing that dress make me miss every inch of her so much. Suho taught.

Then he move to look at Namjoo who was with Kyungsoo.

“Hey Dove. You look beautiful.” Kyungsoo greet Namjoo from behind and near her ear.

Namjoo was startle. While she was still smiling at the guest she said slowly “Hi. What are you doing standing so near? You know mom and oppa is here. If oppa see you here like this, he’ll kill you.”

“I know but I don’t care. You look so beautiful and I feel like kissing you.”

Namjoo widen her eyes and said “What are you saying Mr. Do? Control yourself. We are in public.”

“I know and that’s sad.” Kyungsoo said.

When Namjoo was about to say something, one of her dad old client walk to her and greet her. since Namjoo know him she greet back.

“Hi Namjoo. You look beautiful today.”

“Thank you uncle. You look good yourself to.”

“Thank you. So sweet of you. So are you still single or you have find a guy for you now.”

Namjoo just laugh and said “Why uncle? Do you have a candidate for me?”

“Surprisingly yes. How about my son? I always want a daughter-in-law like you.”

Kyungsoo was mad and said “Hi uncle, sorry but she’s taken.” Kyungsoo place his hand around Namjoo’s shoulder.

“Really. Nice choice Namjoo. Anyway congrats. It’s sad I can’t make you my daughter-in-law.”

Namjoo was just able to smile. Then they say bye. The moment the uncle walk away, Namjoo look at Kyungsoo and hit his chest. “Are you crazy?”

“What? He was trying to make my girl as his daughter-in-law. Not gonna happen. Never. You are only going to be Mr. and Mrs. Do daughter-in-law and Mr. Do Kyungsoo’s wife.”

“Shut up Kyungsoo oppa.” Namjoo said and walk away.

“What with this oppa man. I’m not your brother. How many time have I told you that and where are you going Dove? Leaving me here alone.”

“Away from you. I’m going to Chorong unnie.”

“She’s here.” He ask in shock. Namjoo just nod. Then he follow Namjoo from back.

Suho was just smiling looking at her sister and Kyungsoo. His happy that Namjoo and Kyungsoo both found their happiness. He was bought back to reality when Hyo Rim embrace his arm and ask in her y voice “Baby, what are you doing here alone? And what are you looking at? Let’s dance.”

Suho push her hand from his arm and said “I’m not interested in dancing with you and please just don’t disturb me. I’m better here being alone. Just go Hyo Rim. I’m really not interested in you.”

“But Suho oppa.”

“Please Hyo Rim. I’m begging you. Please go. I’m asking in a good way.”

Hyo Rim pout and stamp her feet and walk away. Suho let out a relived breath.

After a few hour at the party, it’s for the cake cutting time. Mr. Lee ask Mrs. Lee to walk on the stage and stand right in front of the cake. All of them sing the birthday song and Mrs. Lee smile and cut the cake right after the song finish. Then she take the microphone and start to talk.

“Thank you for everyone who come today. I really appreciate it. My husband and kids really make me happy today and I really love this party. But today, it’s not only my birthday party, but there is something else to. Something that will make me happy.”

Then she call Hyo Rim and Suho on the stage. Suho and Hyo Rim walk on the stage and smile. Suho give a light hug and kiss on the cheek to Mrs. Lee. Then Suho whisper “Mom what are you planning?”

“Just wait son. You’ll know later.” Mrs. Kim moving the microphone far. Then she start to talk again using the microphone.

“Well today is my happiest day. It my birthday and it my son’s engagement to Hyo Rim.”

Suho was shock. He look at his mom and said “MOM! What are you saying?”

“Keep quiet son. Just listen and follow okay.” Mrs. Kim said slowly.

“Yes it’s my son Kim Jun Myeon and my future daughter-in-law Seo Hyo Rim engagement party.”

The moment Chorong hear that, she was shock and broken. She look right on the stage and at Suho. Suho look at Chorong and their eyes meet. Without realizing, Chorong start to cry. She try to hold it but she fail. She wipe it many time but tears keep on falling. When Suho saw that, his heart broke down. Chorong couldn’t bear to hear it anymore. She ask permission to Namjoo to go and walk away as fast as she can without even letting Namjoo to say anything. She walk out the hall and run away as far as she can with her heels on. When Suho saw Chorong running away, he take the microphone from his mother and said.

“I’m sorry. You guys hear it wrong. There will be no engagement party today. It’s just my mother’s birthday party. My mom was just joking. She really like to joke. So there will be no engagement party.” Then he give the microphone back to her mother and walk down the stage and run to find Chorong. He ignore the voice of his mother calling him. Mr. Kim walk back on the stage and whisper on Mrs. Kim ear “What was that? Why didn’t you talk to me about this first?”

“Why would I? I told you it was a surprise.”

He was so angry and pull Mrs. Kim down from the stage. Hyo Rim follow from back.

“I know. But this is too much. You should ask Suho first. It’s his life you messing with Hee Kyung. How many time have I told you not to interface your kids’ life.”

“I have to do what best for him.”

“And making him engage with Hyo Rim without telling him is best for him. Hee Kyung listen to this. Stop interface in his live. He still love Chorong and let him be. Marrying him with Hyo Rim won’t give him happiness. Only you and Hyo Rim will be happy, but your son will suffer. This is my last warning Kim Hee Kyung. If you do this again, I don’t know what I will do. And you listen to me properly. Me and Namjoo, both don’t like her and we will never take her as our in-law. If you think your happiness is more important than your son and family, continue doing it.” Mr. Kim said firmly and walk away leaving Mrs. Kim numb.

Suho on the other side, trying to find Chorong but he fail. He try his hard to find Chorong but still, he fail. Rain start to fall heavily and make Suho worry more. Since the rain is falling really heavy, Suho ran back to the hall and try to find Namjoo. When he saw her, he ask “Do you know where Chorong went Namjoo?”

Namjoo just shook her head. Then he ask again “Where is Changsub? He must know where she is?”

“Changusb oppa follow Chorong unnie when she ran away after that stupid drama mom just did.” Namjoo answer.

Suho sight and start to curse. He really felt guilty. He really thought he will be able to hate her but he fail. He still truly and dearly love her.