Chapter - 38

Is That Him

Yejin has fully recovered from his fever, it just he keeps on asking Jihyo where is Gary. Jihyo makes herself busy by going to the shop early in the morning and come home late when Yejin is already sleeping. Gary has not coming to the shop too.

Jihyo revises on the stocks when Gary suddenly snatches her arm. “Let me go!” Jihyo tries to pull her hand from Gary. “Where is Yejin?” Gary drags her to the car park. He forces Jihyo to get in to the car. He pulls his seatbelt before looks at Jihyo, “Where is Yejin?”

“Why do I must tell you? You have nothing to do with him.” Jihyo raises her voice, she feels annoyed and hurt to be treated like this by Gary. Is she an easy girl? That Gary can come and go whenever he feels to. Though he not care about her feeling, does he ever thinks about how Yejin would react?

She froze when Gary reaches for her seatbelt and plugs in it for her. “What make I have nothing to do with him? He is my son right?” Gary says confidently and steps on the gas. Jihyo looks at him, “Have you remember anything?” Jihyo looks at him.

“What to remember? Yejin says that he is my son, what so hard to remember?” Gary says that makes Jihyo sighs. “So, you still not remember?” Jihyo says by herself. “What did you says?” Gary asks. “Nothing.” Jihyo answers weakly.

“Why do you ask about Yejin?” Jihyo looks at Gary. She misses their jokes, and Gary’s hugs when he was driving. The drive seems so long than last 5 years. ‘Forget about it Jihyo-ah. He is someone else.’

“Kwangsoo called and messaged me tells me that Yejin sick. So, here I’m. It just, I know it’s late. I’m sorry, I just read the message and get voicemail this morning.” Gary glances at Jihyo from time to time. “You must be very busy with your family right?” Jihyo eyes fix at the road.

“Family? Kind of.. since they just come back here right? so, I kind of busy. so can I know where is Yejin?” Gary explains his situation for not turn up for these few days. Jihyo smirks at his statement, “Why bother to come for Yejin? Aren’t you supposes to stay with your family?”

“Because he is my son, remember? Besides, I had done all the things that I need to do with my family, so, now, it is Yejin turn.” Gary stops at the traffic light. He turns to Jihyo and she is staring at him, unreadable stare. Frustrated? Annoyed? Angry?

“Do you find this funny?” Jihyo suddenly says. “What is the funny thing? Just tell me where Yejin is?” Gary says and in the same time leans closer to her. Jihyo moves backward and hold tight on her seatbelt. “Why should I?”Jihyo still plays push and pull with Gary.

He leans a little bit closer instead of gives up. The honks can be hears from the car behind them. “The green light?” Jihyo asks. “Where is Yejin?” Gary repeats his question. “Gary-ssi...” Jihyo avoids Gary’s gaze. The gaze that never fails to melt her heart. Not last 5 years, not now.

“Where is Yejin?” Again the same question, “Gary-ssi..” Jihyo tries to push Gary, she actually worried that someone might come and break on their mirror. The honk getting louder with people complain on them. Gary raises his eyebrows, waiting for Jihyo answer.

“He is at home.” Jihyo gives up. “Can I kiss you?” Gary suddenly says before drives. Jihyo froze at her position. Gary reaches out his hand and mess up Jihyo hair and pinches her nose softly, “It will be easier if you tell me beforehand, the traffic wouldn’t happened.” Gary says with a playful smile clearly can be seen.

***

“We must bring Yejin to the hospital.” Gary says, he is patting Yejin head softly. Yejin sits on his lap. He runs to Gary when he hears Gary’s voice. “Why? He has fully recovered and he has taken his medicine.” Jihyo shakes her head, disagree to Gary’s idea.

“I know that he is fully recovered but we still need to check on his condition now. Where is his card?” Gary starts to search the room. He sits Yejin on the bed. Jihyo pulls his clothes that makes he can’t move. “I say it clearly, we don’t need to. Full stop.” Jihyo clenches her teeth.

Gary turns and suddenly locks Jihyo in between his arms. His arms rest on the makeup table. “Are you going to give me Yejin’s medical card or I’m going to kiss you in front of Yejin?” Gary whispers to Jihyo. Yejin claps his hands, happy to see Gary and Jihyo in that position.

“Appa jjang!” Yejin gives Gary thumbs up. Gary smiles cheekily to Yejin before looks at Jihyo. He tilts his head a bit and raises his eyebrows playfully.

***

“Doctor says Yejin is fully recovered now.” Gary says to Jihyo as they get out of the doctor room. “Didn’t I tell you?!” Jihyo fists her hands to Gary. Gary just laughs softly before walks in hand with Yejin. Yejin is between Jihyo and Gary.

“Dr. Kang!” Gary suddenly shouts as he recognises the person walks out from one of the doctor’s room. Jihyo suddenly froze at her position, she knows that person. ‘What should I do? Yejin must not meet that person.” When Jihyo still busy debating by herself, the person is already reaches them.

“Aigooo… looks who is here? Are you ok?” Naeun asks Gary. “I’m ok, I bring my son to for the medical check-up.” Gary says clearly that makes Jihyo looks at him with a puzzle look. Naeun squads and pats Yejin head, “So you’re Yejin, right? your appa tells me so many things about you. I have son, do you want to play with him?” Naeun asks and Yejin nods happily. He likes it when he has many friends to play with.

“No.. it’s ok. Yejin will be ok.” Jihyo says, she hopes that no one notices that she is stuttering. “If this is the son, this must be the mother. He is your son, she is your wife isn’t oppa?” Naeun says. Jihyo becomes more confuses at the same times, she feels like they’re actually playing and laughing at her.

“Who? This ahjumma? Of course not.” Gary says. Naeun shakes her head to Gary, “You can’t have the son without the mother, isn’t unni?” Naeun looks at Jihyo and Jihyo looks at her with a very confuse looks. “Ooh,, mianhe,, I’m Son Naeun. Doctor Son Naeun.” She reaches her hands out to Jihyo.

“She’s lying to you, ahjumma. Her name is Mrs. Kang. Dr. Kang Naeun.” Gary sticks out his tongue to Naeun when she fists her hand. “Don’t you ever dare to get rid your husband surname. Do you get it Dr Kang?” Gary adds.

“Arashemida…” Naeun answers in annoyed tone. “Oppa, unni, I need to go now. See you next time. Yejin-ah annyeong..” Naeun waves to Yejin and bows slightly to Jihyo. jihyo looks at Gary and Naeun who is walking away. What is this?!

***

“How many years have it? 5 years?” Jihyo suddenly breaks the silent in the car. Yejin is sleeping at the backseat. “What?” Gary asks. “Dr. kang..” Jihyo says with a sigh. “Ooo.. of course.. long..long..time ago..” Gary laughs softly.

“Are all of you that open minded?” Jihyo looks at Gary, he is smiling, ‘What are you thinking? She?’ Jihyo says by herself and makes her heart feel a deep cut. “Yes, she is.. she is an easy going person.” Gary says, he is making a turn.

“Oohh,, I see.. Doesn’t she feel jealous seeing you with us?” Jihyo asks weakly. “Of course she is..” Gary glances at Jihyo who seems in blank. He pats Jihyo head, “Don’t worry, she’s not. Didn’t I tell you that she’s open-minded.” Gary smiles when Jihyo nods.

“Why I feel that you’re the one who jealous right now, ahjumma?” Gary glances at Jihyo. That question makes Jihyo question on herself that day.

***

“Hyung, how can we make that two to be together again?” Haha looks at Jongkook. They’re finding ways on how to make Gary and Jihyo spend time together more. Haha shocks when listens to Jongkook and Byul’s story. Yejin calls Gary his appa, so, he must do something.

“I just feel unfair, we all have a happy life now, but Gary hyung isn’t. you and Eunhye already married and I had married to Byul. Why Gary hyung can’t? I feel sorry for him.” Haha says to Jongkook. Jongkook was about to answer when his phone rings.

“Nae uncle… nae.. I got it.” Jongkook nods in between. He smiles to Haha after he ends the call. “Who was that hyung?” Haha asks out of his curiosity. “Idea.”

***

“Why should I?” Jihyo looks at Jongkook and Haha. Why should she agree to what they just say. “Because you’re the only that can help him.” Jongkook replies to her. “You’re the only person that we know can do the design and those things.” He adds.

“But, my major is not in design. I only have basic in design.” Jihyo says. “That is more than enough. Besides, the theme is summer, so, it is much easier.” Haha says to Jihyo, and Jongkook nods to him. Jihyo sighs heavily, “But I don’t want to work together with him.” Jihyo says.

Jongkook and Haha look to one another that make Jihyo suspects something is going on. “What is it oppa?” Jihyo asks. “You can’t say no Jihyo-ah.. we had submit your name to be the designer for this project and the president agreed. Besides, we’ll help you out with some matter, ok?” Haha says with a cheeky smile.

“Congratulation Jihyo-ah. Hope you’ll have a good teamwork with Gary for this project.” Jongkook says sarcastically and reaches Jihyo hand and shakes it forcefully.

***

“Go get ready now.” Gary turns Jihyo body for her to get into the house. “What do you think you’re doing?” Jihyo pulls herself from Gary and looks at him. “I’m asking you to get ready, why it is so hard? Go!” Gary says that makes Jihyo feels annoyed.

“I won’t.” Jihyo folds her arms and glares at him. “Then, I assume that I’m taking him by myself.” Gary glimpses at Yejin who is already in the car. Yejin waves to Jihyo and she waves back with a force grin.

***

“Why are you doing this to me actually?” Jihyo glances at Naeun and a kid at the field. She doesn’t know that Naeun will come too, and she suddenly feels down and jealous. She knows she shouldn’t but she just can’t help it. Gary frowns at her before notices that she is looking at Naeun.

“Ohh, Naeun? Chill out ahjumma, she’s ok. She just wants Daegu to have friends, since they just come back right? come..” Gary grasps her hand and makes her to sit next to Naeun. The kid next to Naeun stands up and bows to Jihyo, “Annyeonghaesayo.. I’m Kang Daegu.” He says, and at some point Jihyo feels betrayed to hear his surname.

Jihyo notices that Yejin is sitting on Gary lap and grips on his hand tightly, he bows to Daegu and introduces himself. “Let’s go cycle..” Gary takes the bicycles that Naeun brought and leads the boys to cycle.

Jihyo feels that she is hanging herself for coming today. She becomes the third wheel for this perfect family’s picnic. But, at the same time, she feels like pulls Naeun’s hair and makes a scene. She feels like Naeun the one who should be awkward, and not her. but, since Gary had choose her, she must accept it.

“Unni, I hear that you work together with Gary oppa in his project. Hope you can work well with him.” Naeun breaks the silence. Jihyo feels a little bit angry to her words, is she mocking on her or what? Should she thanks her or should she punch her?

“Nae, it happens that way, I can’t reject the offer, I hope you don’t mind.” Jihyo gives her a fake smiles and Naeun smirks at her. “Of course not. Hope you enjoyed your time with him. I think oppa loves to spend time with you and Yejin.” Naeun says. Jihyo blurs, is Naeun making fun at her or she’s supporting on her?

“How long had you known Gary-ssi?” Jihyo asks. She wants to know, either her or Naeun the one that become the obstacle in this complicated relationship. She is also wondering, does Naeun not remember on her or she just fakes on it. She clearly remembers the innocent looks on Naeun when she steps in THEIR house last 5 years.

Naeun was about to answer when Gary suddenly calls on her. “Unni mianhe, oppa called for me. we’ll talk later, ok?” Naeun runs to Gary and the boys. They laugh at the boys’ funny doing. Jihyo becomes speechless and laughs for unknowing reasons. Is she happy or is she actually feels hurt from what she sees?