Chapter - 33

Is That Him

‘Oppa, let’s have lunch together.’ Jihyo presses the send button to her favourite person. She turns to the computer and continues her work while waiting for his reply. Her email notification ring, it is from Byul.

                Jihyo almost scream when she sees the picture that Byul sends. It is her honeymoon picture. She looks so happy with Haha hugs her close. The background of the picture is sea. The others picture really shows how happy they are. They married 3 or 4 months ago.

                She reaches for her phone as it beeps. ‘Love I’m sorry. Can’t we lunch together next time? Gil asked me to lunch with him before you messaged. I’m sorry.’  Jihyo smiles at the thought of how desperate could Gary looks like just wants to lunch with her.

                ‘It’s ok oppa. I’ll have my lunch with my other colleagues. Have fun with Gil oppa.’ She sends the message before turns her focus to the picture that Byul sends. She’s scrolling at the picture and stops at the picture with the background of the sea.

                ‘I want to marry at the sea.’ She smiles at the thought.

                ***

                “Gary-ah, mian. I can’t go lunch with you, my mom suddenly call and asks me to lunch at home.” Gil scratches his head as he feels sorry for breaking his promise to lunch with Gary. “It’s ok Gil-ah. I’ll go lunch with her.”

                “Is everything all right Gil-ah? Why is aunt suddenly call you to come back home” Gil sighs at Gary question. He sits next to Gary, “Everything is ok. I don’t know why, but, omma words give me hint.” Gary raises her eyebrows, showing that he is waiting for Gil’s next word.

                “She asked me, why I never bring girl home to meet her and appa? Do you know what does it mean?” Gil sighs at the thought with Gary laughs at him. “Go find a girl and marry Gil-ah.” Gary says in between his laughs. He’s actually laughing at Gil because of his funny face when marriage issues come out.

                “You’re talking about marry with me? Are you crazy? You’re the one who has a girl but still don’t want to marry.” Gil smirks. Gary pats his shoulder, “I’ll marry sometimes Gil-ah. I had…” Gary turns to his phone as it rings.

                “Hello. Nae, Kang Gary imnida.” Gil looks at Gary with his curious face. “Nae. I did. So, the result has come out? Is that so? Is it ok if I come now? Nae, kamsahamnida.” Gary hangs the call and reaches for his snapback and jacket.

                “Where are you going? What result were you talking about?” Gil looks at Gary who is busy wearing his jacket. Gary smiles at him, “Nothing Gil-ah. I’ll get going. See you tomorrow.” Gary waves to Gil before walks away.

                “Does he go to test his fertility level?” Gil blurts out by himself.

                ***

                “Jihyo-ah..” Jihyo turns to the voice. “Ooh.. Minho-ssi. It’s been a long time.” Jihyo nods awkwardly to Minho. Rijin and Sungkyung looks at Jihyo and Minho. “Unni, Sungkyung-ah, this is my college mate, Choi Minho.” They nod to one another.

                “Where’re you heading to Minho-ssi?” Jihyo tries to ease the awkward moment that she feels. “I was planning to get some lunch.” Minho smiles at Jihyo. “Lunch? Let’s have your lunch with us.” Rijin says as she can feel the awkward vibe between Jihyo and Minho.

                “Is that alright?” Minho asks as he looks at Jihyo who seem like dreaming. Sungkyung nudges Jihyo arm to make she pulls herself together. “Nobody want to eat alone right?” Sungkyung says before Rijin leads the way to the restaurant.

                Rijin and Sungkyung go to the counter to order and leave the duo alone. “Unni, do you feel the awkward vibe between them two? Or am I the only one feel like that?” Sungkyung asks as they wait for the order.

                “I feel it too, but just let it be. Everyone has their own past.” They look at Jihyo and Minho who are talking to one another.

                ***

                “How have you been?” Minho starts the conversation after a few moments they sit awkward. Jihyo looks at him with her big beautiful eyes. “Nae? I’m doing fine.” “Are you still with sunbae?” Jihyo nods at his question as she feels there is no need to elaborate on it.

                “I don’t know whether should I bring this thing up or not but, I decide to apologise to you for the stupid thing that I had done to you.” Minho looks at Jihyo, tries to read her mind. “I did them just because of my jealousy to sunbae and I didn’t realise that I was hurting you. I’m sorry Jihyo-ah.”

                Jihyo takes a deep breath before answer to Minho. “It’s ok Minho-ssi. Everything have past, we can’t change the history. The most important thing now is we must live to the fullest for our future.” Jihyo smiles as she tries to ensure Minho with her words.

                “Sunbae must give you a good influence isn’t he?” Jihyo frowns at his statement. “He is the person that I know who will always have that kind positive vibe. And it seems like he had influence you.” Jihyo smiles shyly and she can feel she is blushing.

                “What about you Minho-ssi? How is your life?” Jihyo changes the topic as she feels that her heart keep on flutter and tighten as Gary’s name is bring up. Minho smiles at her as he knows why Jihyo changes the topic. She blushes as if it is the first time Gary name been mention.

                “I’m a married man now.” Minho nods with a smiles as Jihyo looks at him with her disbelief look. “Thanks to sunbae actually, he makes me realises how much I love Soelhyun. When she closes to Gary, I hate myself for letting my woman to be with other man.”

                Jihyo smirks as she knows how painful it was when Seolhyun always mingle with Gary. “What is she doing now?” “She’s doing fine and, she’s pregnant.” “Chincha? Congrats Minho-ssi.” Minho smiles looking at Jihyo happy face. “What about you?”

                “Me? Soon, maybe??” Jihyo laughs shyly. Minho laughs as well as he knows what Jihyo mean. “Let’s eat.” Rijin and Sungkyung put the plates on the table. “What’re you laughing at?” Sungkyung asks. Minho and Jihyo look to one another before laugh leaving Rijin and Sungkyung in blank.

                ***

                Gary reread the message that Jihyo sent about the restaurant that she will go for her lunch. He holds tight on the envelope in his hand. He didn’t tell Jihyo that he will join her for the lunch. He wants to make surprise to Jihyo. Besides, he has something to tell Jihyo.

                He takes a deep breath before walks in the restaurant and pulls a smile on his face. He hopes that Jihyo will not notice that. Maybe not before he tells Jihyo about that. His legs become heavier as the view that greet him make him feels it is impossible to move.

                Jihyo is sitting with a man. Gary narrows his eyes to ensure who is that person is and he feels like his heart bleed as he knows who that man is. His heart skips a beat, ‘Minho.’ Gary laughs as he feels speechless to what he just sees.

                They’re laughing. Together? ‘Were they planning all of this together?’ Gary walks with his heavy steps to the car before burst into tears. He drives with tears rolling down his cheek. Angry, sad, pain, regret, all are combine as one deep inside his heart that only gives him pain rather than happy.

                He glances at the envelope, tries to deny the fact that he had known. Tears coming out without warning that make he screams with all he has. ‘Does fate is playing with him? Why must now when he had planned all the things that he wants to do with her?’

                ‘The result is not valid.’ ‘It is not a fact.’ ‘Life feels like unfair.’ ‘All of this just scary dreams.’ All this word coming through his mind with him can’t even stop them. He rests his head on the steering before notices that he is parking at their basement.

                He walks into the house and his knees give up when all their memories are rewind in his mind. When Jihyo always pats his . When he brushes her teeth and she shaves him. He sighs, losing of any suitable words. The puppy that he gave to Jihyo runs to him as if he knows Gary is having a hard time.

                ***

                Jihyo smiles as she notices Gary’s shoes at the shoe rack. “I’m home!” Jihyo pouts as there is no responds. She walks to the living room, there he is, watching the TV. She gives him a back hug and rests her head on his, “Oppa, I’m home.”

                Gary releases the hug with his eyes still fix on the TV and Jihyo frowns to his unusual responds. She decides to let it slip by sits next to him and rests her head on his chest by hugs him tightly. Gary reaches for the remotes and changes the channel to one and another.

                Jihyo pouts, “Oppa, is there bad happen? Does Gil oppa gives you too much of work?” Jihyo pats his chest softly. “Aniya.” Gary says and Jihyo can feel the coldness from Gary tone. “Oppa, is there something that you want to confess?” Jihyo raises her head, looking at Gary, but, his eyes still froze at the TV.

                “Ani.” Again, the answer is short but cold. “Ani, when you’re clearly not smiling when I hug you? Ani, when you’re not hugging me back like you always do when we watch TV together?” Jihyo looks at Gary, waiting for his answer.

                “Aren’t you the one who have something to confess to me?” Gary answers her question by giving her his question. Jihyo shakes her head with her innocent face. She pouts cutely like she always does when she wants something from Gary.               

“Then what with Minho?” Gary says to Jihyo. “Nae? Minho?” Jihyo asks of her confusion and only then she remembers that she had lunch with Minho. She puts her hands at Gary’s arm, “Oppa, we just had lunch together, nothing more than that.”

                Gary smirks at Jihyo, “Just having lunch? Don’t you think that he will try to do what he had done before?” Gary says with concern voice. His temper has cool when Jihyo touches him. Jihyo smiles at him, “Oppa, don’t be childish, he will not be doing that, he had marry to Soelhyun.” Jihyo Gary’s cheek.

                Gary pushes Jihyo’s hands away, “What? Is what I’m doing is childish to you?” Gary raises his voice and only then Jihyo realizes her mistakes. “Op..” “Yes, I know that what I’m doing is childish, yes, being immature means childish.” Gary lets out deep breath.

                Gary turns and takes his jacket, “I know, I’m just a loser. I have no fixed job and maybe you regret to be with me. If you has tired with all of this just say it all out. Make it easier for me to understand. But, don’t ever cheat to me.” Jihyo shocks to what Gary says and she walks to Gary.

                Jihyo tries to put her hands on Gary’s shoulder but he flinches before continues, “I’ll let you go Jihyo-ah, just don’t cheat to me.” Gary says before walks to the door. Jihyo looks at Gary who is walking away without a move. She feels hurt for making Gary feels that way and for Gary’s words.

                Being alone without Gary? Jihyo fells to the floor with that in her thought. She just can’t imagine what is it feels to not has Gary around. All their crazy things together keep on rewind in Jihyo mind. Jihyo cries for the first time after being with Gary. The memories of their anniversary still fresh.

                She knows, it is her mistake for lunch with Minho. Does that mean Gary was there? But he says that he couldn’t make it as Gil want him to finish the song. Jihyo slaps herself when she realizes that Gary is trying to make a surprise for her.

She smiles with that in mind but her smiles fade away when she thinks of Gary says that he’ll let her go. Jihyo feels grateful for Gary that showing his jealous side. She takes her phone and calls someone. “Haha oppa, is Gary oppa with you?” Jihyo says after she greets.

“He told me that he is on his way to join us. Wae Jihyo-ah?” Haha asks as he feels something is not right with Jihyo tone. “We have some fight oppa. But it is because of me and it is actually a little bit misunderstanding.” Jihyo explains and sniff.

“Are you crying Jihyo-ah?” Haha says with his concern voice. “Nae, he mentions about break up.” A tears scrolls down, “What?! This kid sure wants to die.” “Oppa can I ask one thing from you?” Jihyo clears her throats before continue, “Don’t kill him, I want him in one piece.”

She can hear that Haha is laughing at her. “He sure has plant cheesy chip in your mind. Ok, I know what he means to you. hang up Jihyo-ah.” Haha says. “Thank you oppa.” Jihyo hangs up the call and bring herself to fresh up and waits for him to come back home.

                ***

                Jihyo alarm rings at 6 in the morning. She flinches a little, trying to find a warm body that she always cuddles to, but there nothing. She opens her eyes and sighs, ‘He is not coming home.’ Jihyo looks around the living room, she was sleeping on the couch as she waited for Gary.

                She brings herself to their room and get ready to go to work. ‘I miss him.’ Jihyo pleads as she flops herself on the bed. His scent still there that make she becomes teary. “Go to work and settle all your work then you can come home earlier to settle all this.”

                She says to her reflection. “Go! Go! Mrs. Kang!” Jihyo blushes at her own words. “Mrs. Kang gonna be.” With that word, Jihyo manages lifts up her mood and starts to get ready for work.

                ***

                “Why’re you sleeping here Gary-ah?” Gil pats Gary’s that make him flinches a bit. “Are you having marriage problem? I was about to ask you about the tips in marriage.” Gil says cheekily. Gary rubs his eyes and takes all of his things.

                “I’m not coming today.” Gary says before he walks away, leaving Gil staring blankly at him. “What’s wrong with him?” Gil his chin. “Wait! Wasn’t he wearing the same clothes as yesterday? What had happened? Does my cousin is not fertile enough?”

                Gil shakes his head, “War is coming.”