Chapter - 12

Is That Him

“Here, your caramel macchiato.” Jihyo hands the cup to Gary. “What’s with your tone? Anything happen?” Gary asks as he feels different in Jihyo’s tone. He looks at Jihyo with full of concern. “It’s nothing. I’ll go first. Byul asks me to go breakfast with her. Then,” Jihyo bows to Gary then walks away.

                “Oyy slave. Oyy.” Gary shouts at Jihyo but she’s not turning, she walks without looking back. He calls Jihyo. “Oyy, how dare….” “Ohh sunbae, I’m busy. I’ll call you later.” Jihyo hangs up the call. “Serve your right.”Jihyo says and walks to her class.

                Jihyo sits beside Byul as usual. “Ohh Jihyo-ah. You’re early today. Is Gary oppa not here yet?” Byul asks and looks at Jihyo. Jihyo is getting books from her bag. “Aniyo. He is at the rooftop. Wae Byul-ah?” “Ani.. it just you usually breakfast with him yet today you come to the class with your Americano. I just find it’s weird.”

                Jihyo looks at her cup. “Ohh, I just don’t feel like breakfast with him today.” Jihyo drinks her Americano. “Wae? Are you two fighting?” “Aniya Byul-ah. We’re not fighting. We’re ok.” Byul was about to ask Jihyo further when Prof Kwang enters the class.

***

                “Where is this girl? Why doesn’t she message me or call me as usual?” Gary looks at his phone. He looks at it as if he is drilling hole on it. Suddenly, a chalk lands at his head. “Yah, Kang Gary! Are you not paying attention in the class? Meet me after class.” Prof Choi shouts and makes the others to look at Gary. Gary bows his head a bit to make Prof Choi knows that he is sorry.

                “What’s up with you, dude?” Gaeko whispers to Gary. Gaeko is sitting next to Gary. He is Gary’s classmate. They know each other and had been classmate since their first year. “You’ve never not paying attention in the class.” “Ahh.. molla.”

                “What bother you Kang Gary? Is there something happen? You had never did so in my class.” Prof Choi asks with his concern voice. “It nothing Prof. Thank you for your concern Prof.” Gary says and bows as gratitude to his lecturer.

“You know that you’re my favourite student but I must be fair to all my students. You must be punishes. I want you to clean and arrange all the table and chair after class for one week. Starting from today.” Prof Choi says to Gary. He must strict to all his students.

                “It’s ok Prof. You should be. Thank you. I’m sorry for not paying attention in your class.” Prof Choi nods and walks out of the class. Gary takes out his phone and dials Jihyo’s number. But, his call is being divert as Jihyo off her phone.

                “Where is this girl? She sure wants to make me angry.” Gary talks to himself and tries calls Jihyo for one more time, but he get the same responds. He feels frustrated and decides to start his punishment. He sighs heavily.

***

                “Jihyo-ah, are you not messaging Gary oppa?” Byul asks on their way to Prof Yoo’s room. Byul find it weird when Jihyo didn’t touched her phone for the whole day. “Wae Byul-ah? You keep on asking me why I’m not messaging sunbae?” Jihyo feels a little bit angry? Or jealous?

                “Aniya Jihyo-ah. I just find it’s weird as I always see you tell him whatever you do.” Byul says and smiles as she feels something from Jihyo’s tune. “Are you sure you two are not fighting?” Byul decides to tease Jihyo. “Nothing Byul-ah. It just I don’t like it when Gary..” “Go to club? Isn’t it?” Byul cut Jihyo. “Ohh, how did you know?” Jihyo asks with her mong face.

                “Haha oppa told me last night that he will go to the club with Gary oppa.” Byul explains. “Jihyo-ah, are you jealous?” Byul looks at Jihyo with a meaningful smile. Jihyo is avoiding Byul’s eyes. “Aniya Byul-ah. Why I want to be jealous?” Byul shrugs at Jihyo. “That is only you, yourself know the answer.”  

                Both silent till they reach Prof Yoo’s room. During Byul discussion with Prof Yoo, Jihyo keeps on silent. She tries to think what she really feel when Gary says that he is at the club with some hot girl. But, she has no answer for that question. She might has the answer, but she afraid to admit it because she fear it will hurt herself.

***

“Gaeko, where is Gary? It is lunch time.” Jongkook asks Gaeko when he doesn’t see Gary comes with Gaeko to the cafeteria.  “I think he had been punishes by Prof Choi.” Gaeko says and then munches his food. Haha and Jongkook look at Gaeko’s face to make sure he is not joking. “Chincha hyung. Gary hyung keeps on staring at his phone and Prof threw chalk at Gary. He asks Gary to stay after the class.” Gaeko says then continues to eat his food.

                “What happen to that hyung? He had never do so for the last 4 years.” Haha says and feels confuse. “Isn’t it hyung? I feel weird too.” Gaeko says. “Who is he waiting for to call till he didn’t concentrate in class?” Jongkook says. He is so concern to Gary.

                “Who are you talking about?” Gary says as he sits next to Haha, facing Gaeko. “You!” They three say in almost sync. Gary shocks, “Me? why?” “Gary-ah, are you ok? You know you always have us to share your problems.” Jongkook says with his concern voice. “Nae, hyung. You always have my love.” Haha says then tries to kiss Gary. Gary nudges, Gaeko and Jongkook laugh at them.

                “Ahh, keman! What wrong with you guys?” Gary looks at them seeking for an answer. “Gaeko tells us that you been punish by your Prof for not concentrate in the class. He also told us that you keep on staring at your phone. What happen? Is there anything happen to aunty and uncle?” Jongkook explains to Gary.

                “It nothing hyung. Gaeko, you shouldn’t tell them. My parents are always ok.” Gary looks at Gaeko. Gaeko lower his head as he feels guilty. “Why shouldn’t he hyung? We’re family right?” Haha says as he feels a little bit upset at Gary. “Mianhe Haha-ah. That is not I mean.” He tries to fix the situation.

                “I think I know who’re you waiting for hyung.” Haha says after a few moments they eat. “That loud ahjumma isn’t it?” Haha looks at Gary. “Aniya.” Gary says but still eats his food. Haha and Jongkook laugh at Gary as they know Gary is lying. “Who is loud ahjumma?” Gaeko asks as he doesn’t know anything about Jihyo. “She is Gary’s slave.” Jongkook says and smiles at his dongsaeng. “Whoaa.. Gary hyung daebak.” Gaeko says and thumbs up at Gary.

                “Ahh, keman! Let just eat in peace.” Gary says as he feels a little bit annoyed. “Whoa, someone needs to be peace here.” Haha says that invite laughs and Gary’s face becomes red.

***

                “Noona, are you not going to eat?” Kwangsoo says as he and his parents have staring at Jihyo for the past few minutes. Jihyo is staring at the food as if she gonna drill a hole on them. “What are you thinking?” Kwangsoo asks for one more time.

                “Are you fighting with him? It is normal Jihyo-ah.” Mrs. Lee says and eats her food. Mr. lee and Kwangsoo look at Mrs Lee for further explanation. “Jihyo has namjachingu. Kang.. kang.. Jihyo-ah, what is his name again?” Mrs Lee asks Jihyo. “Kang Gary!” Kwangsoo shouts. “Yah! Who shouts at dining table?” Mrs Lee says with his strict voice. Kwangsoo bows his head a little bit to apologize.

                “Aniyo aunty. We’re not in that kind of relationship. Chinchayo.” Jihyo says to Mrs. Lee then looks at Mr. lee and Kwangsoo repeatly. “Jihyo noona had caught a big fish.” Kwangsoo says. “What do you mean Kwangsoo-ah?” Mrs. Lee asks as she feels attracted to know Gary more. “He is our student president.” “Whoa! Don’t let him go Jihyo-ah.” Mr. Lee says then winks at Jihyo.

                “Aniyo uncle. We’re really not in that kind of relationship. Please believe me.” Jihyo feels like crying just to make they believe her. “Arasso, we will act as you’re not has any relationship with that boy.” Mrs. Lee smiles and looks at her husband. Mr. Lee, Mrs Lee and Kwangsoo laugh loudly. The dining table full of laughter, thanks to Gary.

***

Jihyo is laying on her bed after brushes her teeth and washes her face. She’s trying to sleep but can’t. She feels like there is something she still not done, but she doesn’t know what it is. She keeps on turning on the bed till her phone ring. She looks at the ID. It is Gary. She sits up and straightens her hairs before answer the call. She breathes in deeply.

                “Yobu..” “How dare you not call me for the whole day. I called you and you didn’t pick up.” Gary says with his angry tone. “Mianhe sunbae. My phone was on silent mode.” Jihyo is trying to think of some word. “Then, can’t you just call me back?” “Mianhe sunbae. Chongmal mianhe.” Jihyo says with pleading. “Forget it. What were you doing today, that make it so difficult for you just to send me a message?” Gary asks Jihyo as his normal routine.

                “Nothing much. My class ended before 1 then I went to lunch with Byul. Then, I accompany Byul to meet our lecturer.” “Why?” “Byul needs further explanation on some topic. It is not good if people see Byul goes to Prof Yoo’s room alone as Prof is a man.” “Ohh, then?” “The discussion end at 3. Then, Byul and I go to window shopping. We headed home and the end. Applause!” Jihyo says then laughs.

                “Are you enjoy that much?” Gary says with his cold tone. He is actually smiling. “Sunbae.” Jihyo says out of sudden. “Wae Jihyo-ah?” Gary asks with concern voice. “Tomorrow I’ll bring you your caramel macchiato ok?” “Ohh, I’ll thought something is happening.” “Whoaa, are you that worry at me?” Jihyo laughs and Gary is blushing now. Thanks God he is not with Jihyo now. “Who do you think you are that make me worry? Aigoo, silly girl.”

Jihyo is laughing, “Sunbae, say my name one more time.” “Wae?” Gary asks. “Just one more time.ooo..sunbae.” Jihyo is whining like a baby girl that wants her milk. “Jihyo-ah.” Gary says Jihyo’s name not knowing why Jihyo wants it. “Ok, good night sunbae. See you tomorrow.”

                “Oyy slave, slave.. slave..”.” Gary says but no responds from Jihyo, he looks at his phone, the call is still on going. “Jihyo-ah.” “Nae sunbae.” Jihyo answers Gary. “See you tomorrow. Night.” Gary says and ends the call. “Aigoo, this old man, I just about to say good night yet he ended the call.”

                Someone is sleeping with smile that night and the other person try to look for the best clothes for the next day.