Chapter - 35

Is That Him

Day by day and time goes by, but Jihyo still lives like corpses. She will go to work and come back at the evening without care any of others business. The cheerful and easy-going Jihyo has gone when Gary steps out of the house.

                She still does the same things all over again. When she comes home, she’ll say ‘I’m home.’ She’ll cook after take her shower. She will prepares 2 plates and cook food that enough for 2 persons. She’ll keep on waiting for him and when she realises that he’s not coming, only then, she’ll eat.

                She’ll hug closer his pillow and wears his shirts every night. She knows that he’s not coming, but, on the other side, she knows that she can’t deny that she loves and misses him. Crying every night when going to sleep is a new routine for her. On weekend? She’ll stay home until Monday come.

                Her family and friends? Mr & Mrs. Lee and Kwangsoo do come to the house and ask her to go back to their house but she just keeps quiet. Byul, Haha, Eunhye and Jongkook also give her good advices and words. They also ask her to move back to Mr & Mrs. Lee house but she refuses.

                It was when Christmas, she feels a very deep lonely and sad feeling lingering in her. She whines loudly shouting for his name at the balcony. She flops to the floor, begging for him to come back and hugs her, saying that all of this moment is just a nightmare.

                She drives to her aunt house which Mrs. Lee welcome her with open hands. She faints as Mrs. Lee walks to the kitchen to make her drinks. The doctor comes and checks on her, only then, her family know about the baby that she’s pregnant. That Christmas, Mr&Mrs. Lee house celebrate Christmas with everyone holding back their tears silently.

 

Present….

“Jihyo-ahh!” Haha shouts a bit to Jihyo who is sitting at the corner of the café. He rushes to her as she called him. He feels that something must has happened from Jihyo tone. He waves a bit before walks to her table. The waiter takes his order before leaves him and Jihyo.

The normal talk begins by asking how their day is and some random stuff. The waiter sends the order and makes both silent. Haha breaks the silent, “Jihyo-ah,what is the real thing that make you call me?” He knows Jihyo has something to say. Knowing her for almost 6 years make he can read her mind sometimes.

Jihyo sighs and looks out of the window. There’s a couple laughing around with the girl giggling in the boys arm. “They look nice together.” Jihyo points out that make Haha turns to where she’s pointing. “What is it Jihyo-ah?”

Jihyo looks at him before smirks, “Don’t you miss Gary?” The question makes Haha raises his eyebrow and stuns. It has been a long time that Jihyo mentions about Gary. She’s the one who refuses to talk about Gary. 5 years ago, Gary disappeared like wind.

Even Jongkook and himself also don’t know where he goes. They tried to contact his family in Toronto, but it seems like they change all their numbers and address. It remains as a mystery, no one know where he at that time. No one.

Haha stills remembered how broken Jihyo was at that time. She just like a corpse, locking herself from the world. He and Byul founded Jihyo lying weakly on the floor a day after Gary went missing. Her officemate, Rijin called Byul as she can’t reaches Jihyo neither Gary. She worried that of Jihyo still sick as she on her medical leave.

“Don’t you?” Jihyo says once again. Haha clears his throat, “Why out of sudden you talk about him?” He frowns at Jihyo. She smirks and leaves Haha’s question hang in the air.

***

Jihyo goes straight to Mr&Mrs. Lee house. Her new routine, still goes to her store and come back in the evening, but now, she has become more happy than she uses to when he gone. Sometimes, she also wondering if she is really happy or she just fakes it up.

She sleeps that night with a heavy heart with unspoken question about him. Why he come back? Why he MUST come back? Is he really doesn’t know her or he just faking? Is he coming back together with that woman? Is he happy with her? how many children they have?

When she tries to imagine his happiness with the other woman, she feels something stabs her heart. ‘Yahh! Stop being stupid Jihyo-ahh.. he has a new life with  that woman, he even doesn’t know you are. For the last 5 years you can life without him, why now that you can’t?’ Jihyo told herself before cuddles to sleep.

***

“Gil-ah, do you have Haha or Jongkook hyung number?” Gary asks Gil who is busy looking at the lyrics that one of his composers had done. He has been follows Gill from the morning, seeking for his friends number. He feels lonely actually, as no one to hang out with. This make he hates who is he right now.

Gil pretends not to hear to Gary question, he’s afraid if Gary has Haha or Jongkook contact number, he will go to them and he’ll meet that girl. That poor girl, Gil just can’t bear that girl to hurt more with Gary still in this condition. He feels really bad for not letting his friends know where Gary was for the last 5 years. He keeps on lying and avoids from meeting with them. 

Just let the fate flow.

Gary sighs with his annoyed face and takes all his things. “Yahh! Where’re you going?” Gil shouts from his sits. “Wae? Are you going to tie my legs now? Why are you so mean to me? You not even give me my friends’ number.”  Gary walks out of the room. “YAhh!! Where’re you going?” Gil shouts a little bit louder.

Gary suddenly peeks at the door, “Jog!” Gil shakes his head. This Gary is not the same Gary that he knows before.

***

Gary spreads his arm, inhaling the fresh air around Hangang. He looks around the park, people with their family and friends. He sighs as he misses his friends. He still wonder why his mum doesn’t want him to go back to Korea and Gil too, disapproves his idea.

 They seem like hiding something from him. He shakes his head, and tries to dismiss the thought. He plugs in his earphone and starts to jogs.

After a few moments jogs, a crying child near the bushes attract his attention, that make he come near to the child. He squads down and notices that the child cries silently, the child seem in puzzle looking at him. Gary wipes the kid tears and joins him to sit on the grass.

“Do you make your mother angry?” the kid shakes his head to Gary. “Do you get 0 for your exam?” the kid shakes his head again. “Does your mother didn’t buy you the toy?” again, the kid shakes his head.

Gary frowns and that kid copy him. “then, why’re you crying?” the kid looks sad suddenly. He plays his fingers, and mumbles, “My friends told that I have no father. They laugh at me.” Gary senses a sad tone there. He encourages himself to ask the next question, “Where is your father?”

The kid looks at him with a pair of sad eyes, “I don’t know, omma never talk about him.” Gary is taken aback at the answer. Silent lingers around them. “Are you a bad guy?” the kid asks, and Gary chuckles softly. “Do I look like ones?” The kid shakes his head. “Then, who are you?”

“Superman?” Gary says that make the kid giggles. “What is your name?” The kid smiles at him, feeling safe around a stranger like Gary.

Suddenly, an ice cream smashes on Gary’s face. An old lady, in her 50s maybe looks at him as if she gonna eats him in anytime. “Are you crazy? who do you think you are after what you did last 5 years?”

The ahjumma is Mrs. Lee. She pulls the kid behind her and looks at Gary. Gary stands, “I know it is rude, but who are you?” The kid looks so puzzle with the situation. Mr. lee smirks arrogantly, “What? Who am I? People always right, those 5 years mean nothing to you.”

“Ahjussi, this is my grandma. I came with her. Grandma, this is my chingu.” The kid suddenly interrupts. Gary shocks at that make him bows politely. “I’m Kang Gary. Nice to meet you.” Gary reaches out his hand but Mrs. Lee just folds her arm and ignores it.

“What make you thing that I’m gonna happy to meet you? Do you think that I don’t know who are you? What make you come back? Ani, why do you have to come back?” Gary frowns at the question, “I know it’s rude, but do I know you?” Gary asks innocently.

“Yeejin-ah!” A lady walks to them. The kid turns before calls the lady as omma. “Are you ok?” Gary looks carefully at the lady, she seems like familiar to him. “Ooo? The owner of the store?” Gary greets Jihyo and only then, she notices that Gary was there. Suddenly, she becomes afraid and angry at the same time that makes her trembles a little.

“Are you ok?” Gary tries to touch Jihyo shoulder but she flinches. Gary doesn’t know the reason why but he feels like his heart ache when the kid calls Jihyo omma. She is a married woman? That thought make he feels more hurt. What hurts him the much is when Jihyo flinches. Why he must feel hurt?

“I’m ok. Our store will call you when your order is ready. Then,” Jihyo bows slightly before drags Mrs. Lee and Yeejin from there. Mrs. Lee stares at Gary before follows Jihyo. Yeejin become more confuse.

***

“Who is that aunt? Why she so angry to me thought it is our first time meeting? That kid is the store ahjumma’s? Why I feel hurt? Why did the ahjumma flinches when I want to touch her?” Gary touches his chest, “Here, why does it feel so hurt? Can’t you just be like you always do? Why you must feel all of this bleeding thingy?”

***

“Jihyo-ah, do you know he had come back?” Mrs. Lee asks after the dinner. Jihyo froze a bit before continue to wash the dishes. “Oooo..” Jihyo says weakly. She walks away to her room. The view of Yejin sleeps peacefully her makes she trembles and suddenly feels nervous.

***

“Hyung-ah, I feel uneasy.” Haha suddenly says when he is hanging out at Jongkook’s place. They are gazing at the stars. Jongkook turns to Haha, “What is the thing that you feel uneasy?” Haha sighs a little at the question. He messes up his hairs, “That day Jihyo suddenly mention about him.”

“Chincha?” Jongkook become speechless. “She eats more than she always does.” Kwangsoo suddenly pops up from the living room and joins them. Kwangsoo with his curious face suddenly says, “Hyung, do you think what I am thinking? What if he comes back?”

Jongkook and Haha look at one another as they become speechless to what Kwangsoo just said. The boy and the girl is their friend, but the girl hurt more in this story. What should they do and which side should they be with?

***

Gil just arrives at the company when his secretary informs him that Haha wants to meet him and is waiting for him in his room. Gil sighs, it not he doesn’t like Haha to come to his company but, he knows what is the topic that they gonna talk about. He feels angry to himself for lying to Haha and Jongkook and even Jihyo by keep on says that he doesn’t know. But, there is nothing else he could do.

“Long time not see. How are you?” Gil gives Haha a brother hug which he readily receives. “Nothing much, I’m ok with that and this. How are you then?” Haha’s turns to ask. Actually, they are cold with each other but they’re gentleman after all. Gil’s secretary sends them coffees.

“Just like you. Nothing much, just busy with some new rookies.” Gil sips on the coffee. Haha smirks, “I was wondering how you can live at ease when you’re hiding something from us.” Gil sighs, he knows this topic will come out. “Why do you keep on saying that I’m hiding something Haha-ah? We’re friends right?”

Haha laughs arrogantly, “Because you’re my friend I don’t kill you when you keep on saying that you don’t you where is Gary hyung. When you keep on saying that you have no other choices. Wae hyung? What make you have no choice?”

Gil shakes his head and decides to tell Haha the truth. “Kraee, the truth is…” The door been open harshly that makes Gil stops and both turn their focus to the door. The person laughs playfully before and Haha gapes, he knows that laugh and that figure.

“Gil, I don’t care what you’ll do today, but I’m need Haha or Jongkook number.” The person still busy straightens his jacket make he doesn’t notice Haha who’s sitting there. “Ooo? Haha-ah. Glad to see you. How are you?” Gary jumps to Haha and hugs him tightly.

Haha become more confuse, “Are you asking how I am?” Gary nods happily, he feels so happy to see his friend after 5 years? “Thank you Gil-ah, you’re really my cousin. I’m touches for this surprise.” Gary puts his arm around Haha’s shoulder.

Gil nods weakly. “Are you opening as circus? Do think this funny? I’m not laughing here. How can you be so light up when you broke a heart?” Haha says that make Gary frowns. “Whose heart is broken? Who broke…” A punch lands on Gary face.

He groans on the couch, “You jerks! You might have forgets about that incident. But, Jongkook and I was there, witness how much she is broken. How can you live happily when you break another heart and makes she live like corpses?”

Gil holds on Haha and drags him out of the room when he wants to give the second punch. Haha struggles from Gil holds and tries to go to Gary again. Gil has to drag him to the meeting room. “Go to Gary and leave us alone.” Gil says to his secretary.

“Let me go! I want to punch that guy.” Haha tries to open the door. “How much do you want to hurt him? Do you even want to kill him?” Gil says that makes Haha taken aback. “But I feel betrayed by him and you. You told me that you don’t know where he is though you witness how broken was Jihyo.”

Gil sighs and gives Haha his time to continue. “I feel betrayed by him when he asked whose heart is broken? I’m not anyone to Jihyo other than a brother and friend, but I still feel the hurt. What if Jihyo the one who hear to it? I just..” Haha become speechless.

“It is not his fault.” Gil suddenly says after a moment the room been silent. Haha smirks at Gil, “It’s not his fault? Then whom? Jihyo? Because she loves him like she never does to anyone? Or just because she believes to his stupid promises? Or should we blame the fate, for meeting them? Just anyone and anything but not him?”

“The Gary that you just punch is not the same Gary that we knew 5 years ago.” Gil says, his eyes fix on the floor. Haha laughs as if he is mocking at Gil, “Stop talking nonsense. I have no time to laugh at you and your cousin jokes. How come that bastard is not the bastard that broke Jihyo into pieces?”

Gil looks into Haha eyes before smirks just like Haha does to him. Gil decides to trust Haha tell him the truth. Where is Gary for the all these time? Why he disappear like wind? Why he never tries to contact on them? Why he never tried to come back to Jihyo? How much he hurt? How much he tortured himself just not to call them? Why he asks whose heart is broken? And why he is being like that?

Haha stumbles at the table when listening to Gil story. He can sees Gil eyes become teary when he describes how much Gary tries not to contact either one of them in Korea. A man, he can hold back his tears but, he can’t denies that he feels how much Gary, his friends who just like a brother to him hurt himself when he went missing.

“Why you don’t tell the truth to him?” Haha says. Gil shakes his head, “It will become complicated Haha-ah. He will never understand because he can’t remember. Aunt told me not to tell him or Jihyo about this. They will hurt more. Let the fate do it works. What mean to be, will always mean to be.” Gil says and pats Haha shoulder.

***

“Hyung, mianhe.. chongmal mianhe…saranghae.. mianhee..” Haha says when he hugs Gary tightly. At first Gary was afraid when they come back to the room but when Haha suddenly hugs him, he feels so happy.

“What are you sorry for? For the punch? It’s ok! We’re brother right?” Gary says happily. Haha holds Gary hands tightly and people might think that they’re gay. “Mianhe hyung. I misunderstand your meaning just now.”

“It’s ok Haha-ah..  But, who is the one that you mention just now? The one that I had break her heart?” Gary asks out of his curiosity. There are so many thing that he can’t remember. He hates himself for that.

Haha looks at Gil, gives him a signal to help him out. “Ooo? Didn’t you tell me you have to meet Kwangsoo? You better go now, it’s not good to make he waits.” Gil suddenly blurts out. Haha looks at him with a confuse look before understand Gil’s meaning. “Kwangsoo?? Nae! Thank you for remind me. Hyung, ottoke? I have to go now.”

Haha pats Gary shoulder, “It’s ok. We have many times to catch all our lost time. You better go now.” Gary gives him a brother hug. “It is so nice to meet you, hyung.” Haha says before walks out the room.

He takes out his phone calling for someone. He waits for the call to be answer. “Jongkook hyung, we need to meet up, he has come back.”