Chapter - 15

Is That Him

                Jihyo walks to soccer field after Gary leaves her. It has been her habit to go to the soccer field. She must apologize to Gary for making him angry. She smiles along the way trying to make herself happy and builds some words to tell Gary. She reaches the field and stops when she looks at Gary and he is laughing with a girl. That girl must be one of the cheerleader team, looking at her outfit.

                “Ohh, noona? Are you not going down to the field?” It is Soohyun. “I don’t think so, who is that Soohyun?” Jihyo pointing at the girl that sits next to Gary. “She is the leader for the cheerleader team, Soelhyun.” Jihyo takes a deep breath but she find that the air are so heavy.

 “Come noona, let’s go to the field.” Soohyun says and turns to Jihyo. Jihyo walks together with Soohyun, her eyes pins at Gary. She approaches Gary who is still laughing and Gary stop laughing when he looks at Jihyo. Jihyo walks to Gary and smiles at him. “Why are you here?” Gary says with sarcastic voice. “Go!” Gary shouts at Jihyo, and she shocks, she walks away. She holds her tears as she doesn’t want to look weak.

Soohyun runs after Jihyo. “Noona! Are you ok?” Soohyun asks her. “It’s ok Soohyun, sunbae is happy without me. Maybe sunbae has problem. I’ll texts him.” Jihyo says and walks away. She avoid from make eyes contact with Soohyun, she afraid Soohyun will know that she is hurt.

                That is the first time, for almost one month, she go home by bus. She looks at a pair of couple in front of her. The girlfriend lays her head on the boyfriend shoulder.  She feels like crying and the tears she holding is burst out. She’s crying and totally ignores what the other passengers might say.

                Jihyo reaches home earlier like she always does before being Gary’s slave. Thinking about the scene where Gary laughed with the girl make a tears come down. “I’m home.” Jihyo says. “You’re home? I didn’t hear any car coming, how did you get home?” Mrs. Lee asks Jihyo. “By bus.” “Eyy, Gary didn’t send you home? wae?” “He must be busy aunt.” Jihyo says with a low voice, Mrs. Lee looks at Jihyo and she feels that something is not right.

“Aunt, I’ll not come down for dinner, don’t enter my room.” Jihyo says then heads to the room. Mrs. Lee couldn’t answer Jihyo as she hears a slam on the door.

                Jihyo cries in the shower, she, herself don’t know how long does she shower. After the shower, she tries to study for the upcoming exam, but she cannot focus. Her mind is drive to Gary. ‘Why did sunbae raise his voice at me? What had I done wrong that makes him shout at me? He had raised his voice at me once then he apologized, but this time?’ Jihyo lets out a heavy breath.

‘So, sunbae like girl like that. The first character for being a cheerleader is must be beautiful, then, know how to dance, everything is so opposite to me. For almost one month, I had never sees sunbae laugh like that when he’s with me.’ Jihyo recalls back how happy was Gary before she came.

                Jihyo walks to her bed and reaches for her phone. She scrolls her phone and looks at the contact list. She calls Gary but before the call been connected, she hangs up the call. She repeats for almost ten times and let out a heavy sigh. She’s crying again, she feels her heart rips into pieces, she don’t know why, but she keeps on crying and she doze off due to cry so hard.

                ***

                Jihyo reaches for her phone as soon as she woke up. She’s afraid that she missed Gary’s call. But there is no call or message from Gary. She lets out a heavy sigh and she breaths deeply to avoid tears from coming out.

                She orders a cup of Americano and caramel macchiato and buys breads. She is determines to make up with Gary. Her eyes swollen because cried so hard last night. Gary is reading when she arrives at the rooftop. She walks to the bench and gives Gary his drink. “Here.” She hands the paper cup to Gary. “Just put it there.” Gary says still focus in his reading and didn’t look at Jihyo.

                Jihyo sits facing Gary and unwraps the bun and hands it to Gary. Gary packs his thing and stands up. He doesn’t look at Jihyo at all. He walks away without a word, leaving Jihyo blank and didn’t take the bun from Jihyo.

                Jihyo looks at Gary as he walks away. She eats the buns and there she go again. She is crying while tries hard to munch the bun. She keeps on thinking what did she does wrong. After the breakfast, she walks to the class, totally ignore people around her.

                “Jihyo-ah, are you ok? You’re not paying attention in the class.” Byul approaches Jihyo after the class. They are heading to the cafeteria. “I’m ok Byul.” “But your eyes, they are swollen.” Byul says and points at Jihyo’s eyes. “Ahh, chincha? I must be so sleepy that they swollen a lot. Come, let’s go to the cafeteria”

                “Ehh, isn’t that is Gary oppa, Jihyo-ah?” Byul says and point at one of the table. It is Gary, he having lunch with the cheerleader girl, Soelhyun. “It is him.” Jihyo says with low voice, her heart feels the same thing that she felt last night. She recalls back how cold is Gary at her this morning and now, he is laughing, enjoying the cheerleader accompany.

                “Let’s go and say hello to him.” Byul says and pulls Jihyo to go to Gary’s table. “It’s ok Byul-ah, maybe that is his girlfriend. Don’t be the third wheel.” Jihyo says and pull Byul to the opposite side of the cafeteria.

                In the midst of their lunch, Haha comes. He sits next to Byul and Byul moves aside as if they have used to it. Jihyo feels something is going on between them. “Byul-ah, is there something I don’t know between you and this lil boy?” Jihyo looks at Byul who is still munching her food. “Who is lil boy?” Haha complains.

                “Mianhe Jihyo-ah. Actually, I’m going out with Haha oppa.” Byul says to Jihyo with a guilty face. “Ohh,it’s ok. There’s nothing to be sorry.” Jihyo smiles at Byul. “She’s afraid that you gonna jealous.” Haha says and laugh. “How long had you been together?”

                “Do you remember the day that we went out to buy my dress for my competition? Gary oppa came and took you away and Haha oppa accompany me?” Jihyo nods at Byul question. “That night, Haha oppa message me and asks me out. I thought he was just playing around.” Byul takes a deep breath before continues.

“But after he sent me the same messages for one week, I accepted him. I just want to give a try yet it still going till now. At the same time, you spend a lot of you time with Gary oppa, that why I can’t tell you earlier.” Byul is smiling all the way she recalled back how desperate was Haha asking her out.

                Haha is blushing, “Speaking about that devil, where is Gary hyung, ahjumma?” Byul looks at Jihyo and when she was about to answer, Jihyo speaks first. “He is busy.” That is the only logic reason that Jihyo can think.

                “Ohh, I guess because of his upcoming tournament.” Haha says. “Tournament?” Jihyo asks as she doesn’t know anything. “He will have a soccer competition a day after Byul’s competition. A soccer competition between the uni. How come you don’t know?” Haha says and invites another broken heart to Jihyo.

                Jihyo leaves the questions hanging. They continue to eat their lunch silently. Byul and Haha sometimes laugh together and leave Jihyo in her own world. When they finish their lunch, Haha looks at the opposite side and sees Gary.

                “There’s Gary hyung. Who is that girl? Let’s go say hello to him.” Haha is holding Byul hand and pull her Gary’s table. Jihyo froze at her position. “Come ahjumma.” Haha says one more time. “It’s ok. I just remember that I have thing to do. I have to go first.” Jihyo bows slightly and leaves Byul and Haha.

                Byul looks at Jihyo as she walks away. Haha shrugs at Byul and walks to Gary’s table. “Hyung! Who is this?” Haha calls Gary and points at Soelhyun. “Ohh Donghoon-ah, this is the leader for the cheerleader team, Soelhyun.” Gary says to Haha. “Ohh,Byul-ssi, how are you?” Gary says as he looks at Byul who is standing beside Haha. “Annyeonghaesayo.” Soelhyun greets Haha and Byul.

                “We had lunch with Jihyo just now.” Byul says to Gary, ignoring his question and Soelhyun greet. She is looking at Soelhyun and Soelhyun smirks and seems like jealous when she mentions Jihyo’s name. Why should she? She must not be Gary’s friend as Haha also doesn’t know who she is.

                “Ohh, is that so?” Gary seems like doesn’t want to know any further about Jihyo. “Where is she?” Soelhyun suddenly asks, with a fake smile. “She has some works to do, so she takes her leaves first.” Haha says and Byul notices that Soelhyun seems like smiling for knowing Jihyo is not around.

                “Oppa, khaja. I feel like Jihyo needs me right now when someone can’t be there for her.” The person that Byul mentions is Gary. Gary looks at Byul, he wants to ask what happen to Jihyo, but, his ego blocks him from asking.

                “Hyung, we’ll go first. Enjoy your lunch, Soelhyun-ssi.” Haha smiles and pulls Byul and walks away.

                Gary’s phone vibrates. ‘Sunbae, I had clean the class. Mianhe, because I didn’t wait for you.’ It is Jihyo. He ignores the message. Five minutes later, he receives another message. ‘Sunbae, I can’t accompany you to the field. Got something to do. Mian.” It is also from Jihyo.

                Soelhyun looks at Gary as he stares at the phone. She touches Gary’s hand, “Oppa, are you done? Let’s go. I have class after this.” She is smiling at Gary but her smile froze when Gary pulls his hand from her. “Let’s go.” Gary stands up and takes his bag and snapback.

***

                Jihyo looks at her phone every five minutes, she is hoping that Gary will reply her message. She send message to Byul, asking where she is. When Byul says that she is at the singing room, practice for her competition, she heads there.

                When she arrives, there is Haha and Byul in the singing room. Haha seems has some talent in singing. Byul smiles at Jihyo before signals at her to sit and continues to her practice. Jihyo sits on the floor and watches the couple practice. Jihyo sometimes laughs at the couple when Byul annoyed at Haha keeps on pointing her mistake.

Haha shows his charm when he helps Byul in her singing. Jihyo suddenly wish that Gary will do so to her. Just in case, she has a fashion show competition. Thinking of Gary, she takes out her phone from her bag, wishing that there is call or message from Gary, but there’s nothing.

“Ahjumma! Take care of my girl. I have to go. Anything you just inform me.” Haha says to Jihyo. He takes his bag beside Jihyo and when he’s about to walk away, Byul grabs his hand and point at Jihyo. Jihyo is staring at her phone, completely ignore what Haha said just now.

Haha walks to Jihyo and waves at Jihyo. “Ohh, waeyo Haha sunbae?” Jihyo asks Haha and put her phone aside. “Yah! Ahjumma, it’s weird. Is there anything you want to tell us? You seem have problem.” Haha says then sit facing Jihyo. Byul sits beside Haha. She had talked to Haha before about Jihyo weird behaviour the whole day.

“Just calls me Haha or Haha oppa like Byul calls me. I got goosebumps when you called me Haha sunbae.” Haha says. “Is there anything you want to share?” Haha insists Jihyo. He’s very sure that Jihyo has problem. “It’s ok oppa. I’m ok.” Jihyo smiles at Haha and Byul hoping that they will not ask anymore.

“Chincha? You know, we do always bickering, but I always an oppa to you.” Haha trying to make Jihyo tells her problem. “Then, I’ll leave Byul to you. I have meeting with my teammates.” Haha says then stands and waves at them.

“Jihyo-ah, are you sure you’re ok?” Byul moves to sit beside Jihyo. “Byul-ah..” Jihyo cries and lands her heads at Byul shoulder. “Wae Jihyo-ah?” Byul wraps her hands at Jihyo shoulder. “It’s hurts Byul-ah. It’s hurts a lot.” Jihyo sobs and Byul her hair, letting Jihyo cries. “It’s ok Jihyo-ah. Go on, cry. Cry out of your heart.”