Chapter - 36

Is That Him

“Is that so?” Jongkook looks at Haha. He was taken aback when listens to Haha. Haha just sighs, “He must have been through a lot Haha-ah. We always thought that Jihyo has been broken, but, it turns out that both are hurting. The one go because he loves her so much, the one waits because loves him so much.”

                ***

                Kwangsoo is walking around the junk foods when he notices a familiar figure next to him. “Hyung? Gary hyung?” Gary turns to the person that mentions his name. “I’m sorry, do I know who you are?”

                “Nae? Oooh, mianhe, maybe I have mistaken you with someone that I knew 5 years ago.” Kwangsoo says with a suspicious smile. Gary bows a little before walks away with his crackers. “Is that really wasn’t Gary hyung? If he is, why he doesn’t know me?”

                “Uncle, can I have this?” Yejin comes with chocolates. “Your omma gonna kills me. Let’s go to your grandma.” Kwangsoo takes Yejin hand. Yejin turns his head to a familiar figure near the counter. ‘That is chingu.’ He says by himself when he looks at Gary.

                ***

“Gil-ah.. what is actually happen to me last 5 years?” Gary is sitting and eating the crackers he just bought. Gil is having break in between the recording of new song for his rookies. He stuns, “What is happening to you?” Gil gives Gary back his question.

Gary raises his eyebrows, “Can’t you tell me? you know that I don’t remember anything right? I become so confuse, many people mention about thing that happen 5 years ago.” Gil turns to him, “Don’t you have anything more important to do besides annoyed me by asking what happen   years ago?”

“Didn’t you come back to manage uncle’s new company here? Then, you must prepare something. Stop annoyed me and does your works.” Gil says something to his composer about the arrangement of the song. “But I have no work to do.” Gary murmurs.

“Gil-ah.. Gil… Yahh! Gil-ah..” “Go and find something to do!” Gil suddenly raises his voice that makes his composer and Gary shock.

***

“Do you think this is a playground?” Jihyo looks at Gary. Does it make any sense he wants to work at her store? Gary follows Jihyo to everywhere she goes. “How come applied for a job consider as a joke?” Gary mumbles, Jihyo becomes more confused.

“Look here, Kang Gary-ssi, my store can’t afford to pay someone who is irresponsible and untrustworthy person like you. So, stop annoyed me.” Jihyo tries to walk away but Gary spread his hands that make she can’t move.

“It is so impressive for you to remember my name.” Gary says and moves his face a little closer to Jihyo. Jihyo avoids his gaze, “You’re one of my customers, how come I don’t remember your name?” Jihyo stutters. “Interesting..” Gary whispers to Jihyo.

“Omma!” Yejin runs to Jihyo. Jihyo pushes Gary aside that make he stumbles a bit and hugs Yejin. “You’re here. How was school?” Yejin smiles happily as Jihyo his hairs. He raises his head and smiles when he sees Gary is waving at him.

“Ooo, chingu-yahh!” Yejin ignores to Jihyo questions and runs to Gary. “Annyeong chingu. What are you doing at uri omma store?” Yejin asks Gary that makes him squads to be on the same height as Yejin. “This store is your omma’s?”

Yejin nods, “I have some business with your omma.” Jihyo walks to Yejin and Gary. “What are you doing right now, Kang Gary-ssi? Do you find this funny?” Jihyo folds her arms. She feels hurt to see Gary talks to Yejin. She feels as if Gary is mocking and insulting on her.

Yejin reaches for Jihyo hands, “Omma, uri chingu says that he has business with you. What is it?” Gary Yejin hairs, “Your omma is so stingy. She doesn’t even give me to work here. I’m so sad Yejin-ah..” Gary pretends to cry.

Yejin frowns, “Stop playing around Kang Gary-ssi..” Jihyo glares at Gary. “Yejin-ah, don’t you feel bored?” Gary ignores to Jihyo. Yejin nods a bit before looks at his omma. “Then, should we go and play around?” Gary says and holds Yejin hands.

Jihyo pulls Yejin away, “You can’t!” She suddenly raises her voice that make some of the customers and her workers look at her. Gary shakes his head, “Don’t you see Yejin-ah? Your omma is soooo stingy. I can’t even play with you.” Gary says with a low voice.

Yejin holds on Jihyo hands, “Omma, why can’t I play with chingu? He looks so lonely.” Yejin says as he looks at Gary. “Excuse me store ahjumma, we can’t report someone is missing until it is 24 hours right?” Jihyo who is folding her arms nods a bit.

Gary suddenly scoops Yejin, “You can’t report me for kidnap your kid because we gonna come back before 24 hours!” Gary runs out of the store with Yejin is giggling in his arm. Jihyo wants to run after them, but, the view stops her. A very beautiful view with Yejin is laughing in Gary arms.

***

“Chingu, don’t you have friends?” Yejin says as he on his ice-cream. Gary chuckles softly, “why? Don’t you like to play with me??” Yejin shakes his head. Gary pats his head softly, “I do have, but they’re so busy with their work. They can’t play around with me like you do.”

They’re sitting at the bench in the mall. They just come out from the mini playground in the mall. “Don’t you have work?” “Wae? If I don’t have work, you won’t be friend with me?” “Anii, uri omma says, if you have work, then you’ll have money. If you don’t have money, how will you gonna buy me the ice-cream?”

Gary laughs a bit and careless Yejin cheek, “You’re so cute. Don’t worry, I have many money, I can buy you many ice-cream.” “Chincha?? Yeayyy!” Gary smiles looking at Yejin, at somehow, he feels like there something that connects Yejin and him.

***

 “Annyeong Yejin..” Gary waves to Yejin who is holding on Jihyo hands. It is almost the 5p.m when Gary come back with Yejin.

Yejin suddenly lets go Jihyo hands and runs to Gary. He hugs Gary, “Can’t you stay a little bit longer?” Yejin murmurs. Gary pats his back softly, “I’ll come again tomorrow and the day after. Ok?” “Chincha?” Yejin smiles when Gary nods to him.

“Promise?” Yejin gives Gary a pinky promise. “Promise, I’ll come every day.” Gary links their finger. Jihyo suddenly snatches on their hands, “Who says that you can come again? Don’t promise something that you can’t do Kang Gary-ssi.” She feels the warm between Gary and Yejin. But, when Gary promises to Yejin, she suddenly become angry, she doesn’t want Yejin to hurt like she did.

“Aigooo… that is not how you teaches a child ahjumma.” Gary flicks on Jihyo forehead that makes she rubs her forehead in pain. “I’ll come tomorrow Yejin-ah. I’m going.”

Gary says as he walks out of the stores and waves to Yejin. Yejin waves to him before go to his omma. “Omma, kwenchana?” Yejin rubs Jihyo forehead. Jihyo holds his hands, “Yejin-ah, can’t you stop be friend with that guy?” Yejin shakes his head, “Shiroo. I like him. He is my chingu.” Yejin says and walks out of the store, leaving Jihyo sits alone on the floor.

“Who are you really, Kang Gary-ssi?” Jihyo talks to herself. She signals to one of her workers to look on the store before runs to Yejin and apologize to Yejin.

***

Gary keeps on coming to Jihyo’s store thought he has receives his order. He will come in the morning, helps the other workers to get ready the store and stay until the evening to play with Yejin. Jihyo sometimes can’t stop herself from loving Gary presence actually.

But, every times she remembers about how did Gary leaves her alone makes she becomes so angry and furious. To go to the clinic all alone and feels the pain alone make she feels hurt. To raise Yejin all alone and ignore all the rumours about her being a mistress, she holds them up all alone. She fights alone for the past 5 years.

“Jihyo-ah! What’re you dreaming about?” It is Jongkook. Jihyo smiles at him, “Ooo? Oppa? What are you doing here?” Jihyo walks to him. “Just strolls around. Where is Yejin? He always come with you right?”

“He..” “Oooo??! Jongkook hyung!” Gary walks to them. Yejin is holding his hands tightly and bow slightly to Jongkook. Jongkook actually feels shock to meet Gary at Jihyo store with he holds on Yejin hand. How much did Jihyo hurt when looking at them?

“Gary-ah!” He gives Gary a brother hug before messes up with Yejin hair. “What are you doing here Gary-ah?” “Gil told me to do some work, so I’m coming here to work. Wae?” His eyes fix at Jihyo who is walking away, to give them some room to talk maybe? Yejin still holds on his hand.

“What Gil means by is about the new branch, not this kind of work.” Jongkook notices how tight Yejin holds Gary hand, and makes he feels happy and flutter at some point. This should happen before, a very long time ago.

“Eyy, come on, we had not meet for so long, and the first thing you mention is about work? You make me feels burden. It feels just like yesterday we graduate from high school and today you already talk about work.” Gary turns to Jihyo who is walking to them. She seems like ready to go home.

“Jihyo-ah, what is this kid work as?” Jongkook tries to see Jihyo reflect. “I had never hires someone like him. Untrustworthy and irresponsible.” Jihyo says arrogantly that make Jongkook knows that she still can’t forgive Gary. She just doesn’t know the truth, how much Gary loves her.

“Don’t listen to this ahjumma.” Gary says and tries to pinch on Jihyo nose which Jihyo pushes away with a killing stare at him. “I’m Yejin appa.” Gary says and pats his chest. He changes smiles with Yejin. Jongkook and Jihyo are taken aback.

“With whose permission? He is my son, and will always be my son. Only mine. He is not yours.” Jihyo says with a painful gaze can clearly be seen. She snatches Yejin hand and drags him out of her shop. Leaving Gary in confuse with Jongkook stares at Gary. Yejin tries to run back to Gary when Jihyo glares at him and makes he follows Jihyo.

“Gary-ah, have you remember anything about what had happen 5 years ago?” Jongkook asks Gary. “What actually had happen last 5 years hyung? Can’t anybody tell me?” Gary says and makes Jongkook speechless. “I just feel something connect me with Yejin that make me feel like I should be his father.”

“Do I ever know this ahjumma before?” Gary looks at Jongkook for an answer but the question has make Jongkook become more speechless.

***

“Omma.. Why do you don’t like I’m being friend with appa?” Yejin asks after his shower. Jihyo is combing his hairs and froze at the way Yejin calls Gary. “He is not your appa yejin-ah.” “But he says he is my appa.” “He is not.” Jihyo starts to feel angry.

“He say..” “He is not! That guy is not your appa and I don’t like you to be friend with him! I hate it!” Jihyo raises her voice to Yejin. Yejin shocks and lower his head, staring at his hands. Jihyo feels frustrated at herself, angry at Yejin keeps on saying that Gary is his appa and angry at Gary who seems like just playing around with her and Yejin.

Everything happen in one time makes she confuses. Should she trust Gary not remember anything about her when his doing all the same thing as the Kang Gary she known. The only different is the way he talks, the new Kang Gary talks like an immature teenager that can annoyed anyone listen than the old Kang Gary, he maybe bluff off, but the way he talks like a rhythm.

“Yejin-ah. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you but I don’t like that guy.” Yejin wipes his tears, Jihyo always told him, a man never cry. “But why?” He murmurs. “He is a bad guy Yejin-ahh..” Jihyo holds on his hands. “He is not.. He said he is my appa..” Jihyo sighs at that. “Can’t you just understand? He is..”

“He says he is my appa in front of my friends.” Yejin cuts Jihyo words. Jihyo looks at him with a confuse look. “What?” “He came to my school today, during recess. Every day, my friends will tease me and say I have no father. He came like a superman. He said, ‘Who say Yejin has no father. I’m his appa. I work far away before and now I have come home.’ that’s mean he is my appa and no other one can replace him.”

Yejin takes his pillow, “Omma, I’m going to Kwangsoo uncle. Good night.” Jihyo didn’t notices that Kwangsoo and Mrs. Lee were standing at the door all the time. When Kwangsoo takes Yejin away, Mrs. Lee approaches Jihyo. “Is he talking about Gary?” She asks that makes Jihyo bits her lips.

“Have you tells Yejin the truth?” “What is the truth? The truth he is my son, and only mine. No one else gonna take him from me. I raises him alone for this 5 years and it gonna be like that.” Jihyo holds back her tears. “But, he needs his appa.” “Who is his appa? He has no appa and it is full stop.” Tears scrolls down, she feels so frustrated, she knows she can’t denies the fact, but…

“If you  say so, I can’t say anything.” Mrs Lee leaves Jihyo alone, to have her own time. “But, what if he’s really lost all his memories?” Mrs. Lee says and walks out the room. She knows when Jihyo tells her that Gary says that he lost his memories. She finds it is weird, or maybe it just Gary’s tactic, but she had spy on him and seems like he really lost his memories.

***

                “I miss you..” Gary Jihyo face slowly before gives she a long kiss on her forehead. Jihyo squirms a bit from her sleep. She smiles at Gary who is frowning at her. She wraps her arms around Gary neck and pulls him for their morning kiss.

                Gary smiles between the kiss. “I miss you..” He says before both laughing in one another arm. The laughs seem fills with a happy vibe, just like a just married couple.

                Jihyo sits up straight when the alarm rings. She rests her head in between her hands, as she feels a little bit dizzy from the sudden movement. “What was that?” She asks her self about her dream. It is not she never dreamt about him, but, this is the first time she dreamt about him after their ‘reunion’.

                “Does that mean that I should give him chance?” She says by herself and sighs. She ignores all her thought by go to wake up Yejin.

                ***

                “Kang Gary-ssi.. I have something to say to you.. I hope you’ll not surprise. You can be Yejin appa..” Jihyo sighs looking at her reflection in the mirror. She’s practicing what she wants to say to Gary. It is almost the lunch since she meets Gary. Every time she wants to tell Gary, her voice stuck on . Nothing comes out when she meets Gary.

                “You can do it Jihyo-ahh.. you’re doing this for Yejin not because you want him back. Come on.. hwaiting!” Jihyo nods at her reflection and walks out of the washroom. She smiles looking at Gary from far, he is wiping the shelf like the other workers do. The view makes she confuse actually, she can’t differentiate either it is just an act that he makes or it is the reality.

                Her steps then froze on the floor as the next view stabs her heart. A lady wears a knee dress and greets Gary that makes he turns. The lady is holding a little boy hand, maybe at the same age with Yejin? Jihyo looks at the lady’s figure as she feels familiar at the figure.

                ***

                “Oppa..” Gary turns to the voice. Both exchange smiles, Gary shakes his head playfully and points at the girl. Gary acts like he is angry and pouts at the boy. The little boy takes his hand and makes him squads. He hugs Gary, maybe to comfort him.

 “Your omma is a bad person,” Gary folds his arm and the kid also copy on Gary. The girl sticks her tongue out before Gary spreads his arms, welcoming the girl. Gary says something  to one of the workers before walks out of the shop.

***

“That is what a family should be like..” Jihyo murmurs by herself looking at Gary back view. He carries the boy in his arm and the lady hand seems very comfortable links with Gary’s. “It is her. it is her..” jihyo laughs speechlessly with tears flows down like 5 years ago, the day he walks away with a lady..

And after 5 years, the same lady by his side…