Chap - 37

Is That Him

“Gaeun-ah, can’t you please look after the shop? I feel unwell.” Jihyo says to one of the workers and walks away without turns back. She drives to somewhere, somewhere that she never forgets the way. A place that she will go when she feels alone and down.

***

“Wait a minute…” Mrs. Lee shouts at the door bell from the kitchen. “It’s ok omma, I’ll get it..” Kwangsoo says as he just comes down from his room. He froze at the person who is standing at their door.

“Who is that Kwangsoo-ah?!” Mrs. Lee shouts from the kitchen before gives up waiting for Kwangsoo responds. She walks to the door and turns out she also froze. Yejin shakes Mrs. Lee and Kwangsoo’s hands, “Grandma, uncle, this is Yejin appa..” Yejin says that make Kwangsoo and his mother shocks.

“Ahjumm…. Song Jihyo-ssi was not at the shop, that’s why I help to send Yejin home.” Gary says before smiles them. “Appa, let’s get in..” Yejin says out of blue. Kwangsoo reacts quickly, “Nae, nae, please come in..”

***

“Aunt, your food are so delicious.. I suddenly miss my omma food.” Gary says with his mouth full with food. Mr. & Mrs. Lee look at one another as Gary says so. Yejin is already sleeps after tired playing with Gary and Kwangsoo. Gary stays until dinner as Yejin whine wants to play with him. He is more than willing to as Jihyo is still not coming home.

“hope you don’t mind if I’m asking...where are your parents?” Mrs. Lee starts her investigation. Kwangsoo sits next to Gary and eats the desert. Gary smirks at the question, “They supposed to be at Canada, but it turns out that we’re at Boston. So, now they still at Boston.” Gary explains to them.

“Kwangsoo-ssi, do you know me? That day we met at the market right?” Gary looks at Kwangsoo who is sitting next to him. “Do you really don’t know me? we were at the same college.” Kwangsoo looks at him. “So, do you know Jongkook hyung and Haha?”

“Of course. I even know Gil hyung, your classmate, Gaeko hyung..” Gary chuckles at the statement. “Why is it Gary? Don’t you believe in what Kwangsoo says?” Mr. lee notices he is laughing at Kwangsoo words.

“I do believe, it just I found it funny because I don’t even remember anything about I’m going to college.”

***

Jihyo walks into the house with heavy steps. “Noona-ah.. you’re late..” Kwangsoo says. He was watching the TV when Jihyo walks in. it’s been a long time he didn’t see Jihyo walks like that. like a zombie. Jihyo turns to him.

“Did you go there again?” Kwangsoo asks. Jihyo looks at him with her mong face and swollen eyes. “Why do you have to go back there?” Jihyo gives him a weak smile before climbs up to her room.

“Why she must go back to that house thought she knows that will only hurt her more? Gary hyung is already here, why she have to go back?” Kwangsoo talks to himself. Jihyo will always go back to their house whenever she misses Gary. She must not admit that, but, Kwangsoo knows her.

***

“Yejin-ah.. we must let him go.. he is more than happy now.. he has his own family and he must not know that you are his son. You are Kang Yejin, Kang Gary’s son. But, let’s ignore the fact and just live in imagination, son..” Jihyo says and tears pours down. She covers not wants Yejin to wake up.

She pats Yejin slowly before drifts off.

***

Jihyo pushes the trolley and walks to the next section looking for some sweets and crackers for Yejin. Mrs. Lee asked her to shop for some groceries. She smiles looking at the familiar figure in front of her. The person seems in confusion to choose between the hazel peanut chocolate and the cashew peanut chocolate.

“Just buy both of them, if you can’t finish them, I’ll help you..” Jihyo says to the person. “Ooo? Jesu-ssi..” It is Gil. He still call Jihyo as Jesu-ssi, thought Gary went missing for last 5 years. Jihyo has reminds him not to call her that but he just ignores to her warning, just like Gary always does.

“Do you know Gary hyung has come back?” Jihyo asks Gil though she knows the answer. It is a stupid question though. Gil seems to be taken aback from Jihyo question. “Are you in hurry? If you’re not, let’s have a cup of coffee. It’s on me..” Jihyo nods to him willingly.

***

“Why do you don’t tell me that he has come back oppa?” Jihyo breaks the silent. Gil sighs, “I’m afraid you’ll hurt Jihyo-ah. For not letting you know that Gary is here, I’m sorry..” Gil smiles at Jihyo, hoping that she’ll forgive him.

“It’s ok oppa.. I had met him. The funniest thing is, he says he doesn’t know me, but he knows you, Haha oppa and Jongkook oppa.. what a great drama he acts on.” Jihyo says full with her annoyed and sarcasm tone.

“It is true that he doesn’t know you Jihyo-ah..” Gil says weakly. “What? Wait, does he has a twin or what that makes he doesn’t know me?” Jihyo sips on her drinks. “He lost his memories.” Gil looks at Jihyo and the way he looks at Jihyo makes she knows that he is not joking.

“He can’t remember anything about his college life. He just can remember up until his high school life. The day he sent his parents to the airport is the last thing he remembers. He lost his 10 years of life just like that. Those 10 years are empty for him.”

“What happen to him oppa?” Jihyo asks and feels like tearing. But, she holds back her tears, she doesn’t want Gil to think that she is still caring about Gary. “I can’t tell you why Jihyo-ah.. I’m sorry..”

Jihyo nods, “If that so, I can’t force you.” “Has Yejin met him yet?” Gil asks as he remembers on Yejin. What a poor boy he is. Jihyo nods, “He calls Gary as his appa..” Gil looks surprise at Jihyo statement. “Don’t worry.. he doesn’t know that Gary is his real father and vice versa.”

“That day, Gary went to Yejin’s school and says that he is his father. Yejin so happy that make I can’t bear to say no.” “Are you ok Jihyo-ah?” Gil asks. Another stupid question is been ask. Jihyo smirks at Gil, “I think I should be grateful for not being crazy after what had happened.”

“But, he’s happy isn’t he? With his family?” Jihyo suddenly blurts out. “Family? Who?” Gil feels confuses with Jihyo statement. “Gary? I saw him that day. He and his family, they look so happy.” Gil suddenly laughs softly that makes Jihyo feels like he is mocking on her.

“When did Gary has family? His parents are at Boston right now and they only arrive next week. You’re getting old Jihyo-ah.” Gil laughs and Jihyo just sits there silently. Tries to put the puzzles together. ‘Is that means Gil oppa is also doesn’t know about that lady’s existence?’

***

Gary doesn’t for the next 2 days and Yejin keeps on waiting on him. When Yejin keeps on asking about him, Jihyo blames herself because doesn’t has Gary’s number. She wants to blame Gary for giving hope to Yejin but she keeps on telling herself that Gary with his family but in the same time, she feels sorry on Yejin.

When Yejin suddenly shakes her hands, makes she backs to reality. He is pointing at someone who is coming to the shop. It is Byul and her son, Dream. Jihyo smiles and waves at them, “Indeed, Song Jihyo will never changes, a mong Jihyo will always be mong.” Byul says before hugs Jihyo.

“Yejin is also here? Are you not going home yet? Do you wait for your mother to finish her work?” Byul says to Yejin. Yejin shakes his head, “I’m waiting for appa. He promised to come.” Byul gapes in shock to what Yejin just said. She looks at Jihyo.

“You don’t have appa Yejin-ahh.” Dream says to Yejin. “I do have.” Yejin says in a little bit low voice. Byul notices that Yejin looks offended, “Yejin-ah, let’s play with us, at the playground.” Yejin doesn’t move from his position before Jihyo pulls his hands and walks with Byul and Dream.

***

“Does Yejin know that Gary oppa is his real father?” Byul looks at Jihyo before turns to Dream and Yejin play at the slides. Jihyo smiles weakly, “He doesn’t. and he’ll never know about that.”

“This is not right Jihyo-ahh.. I don’t mean to backup Gary oppa, but both have the right to know the truth.” Byul feels poor for Yejin, he has father, but he can’t call him that. “Then tell me what is right? Tell Yejin that he is Gary’s son? Or tell Gary that Yejin is our son?” Byul nods to Jihyo.

“Do you expect me to tell all of that when Gary doesn’t even knows who I am?” Byul looks puzzles. “Nae, he doesn’t remember anything about us. Gil oppa told me that he can only remember up to his high school time. I feel a little bit doubt on what Gil oppa said, but that is what I know.”

“Besides, he has someone else who is much better than me. they’re just like an ideal family should be.” Jihyo looks at Yejin who is laughing happily with Dream, she feels so sorry for Yejin, ‘Yejin-ah..what should omma does?’

***

“Omma, can’t you call appa asks him about our picnic tomorrow?” Yejin says to Jihyo when she combs his hairs. Jihyo froze a bit, she remembers Gary told her to go picnic together on weekend at the day before the lady and a kid came and he went missing.

“Yejin-ah, can’t just the two of us go picnic, without that ahjussi?” Jihyo tries to comfort Yejin, she worried that Yejin will mad on her. besides, there is no way Gary will come when he has his family with him. “I don’t want to, if appa not there, I’ll not go picnic.”

“We can have Kwangsoo uncle together…ok?” Jihyo comforts him again, but he shakes his head, disagree on Jihyo’s idea. “If appa not coming with us, I’m not going..” Yejin takes his pillow and walks to Kwangsoo room again, leaving Jihyo speechless alone in the room.

***

“What the heck are you doing for this one month?!” Jaesuk slams the file on the table. He is not satisfied on Gary’s proposal for the company. “Mr. Yoo, I’m sorry for disappoints you, but the….” “Are you going to say that the time I gave to you are not enough?!” Jaesuk cuts Gary before he finishes his words.

“I don’t care! I want you to come out with a new proposal in 48 hours!” Jaesuk says strictly. “But..” “No more excuses. You can go now.” Jaesuk adds. Gary bows slightly, before walks out of the room.

***

“Jihyo-ahh, can’t you call Gary?” Mrs. Lee pleads to Jihyo who seems in blank. “Yejin keeps on calling for his appa..” Mrs. Lee adds before puts the towel on Yejin’s forehead. He has fever and his body temperature is high. He keeps on calling for Gary.

Jihyo just can’t think anythings, she doesn’t know that Gary can affects Yejin this bad. If she knows, she will not argue on the picnic issues and brings him to the picnic. The whole day, Yejin keeps on asking for Jihyo to call Gary but she refuses. It turns out, he fells sick after his shower.

“No, we can’t..”Jihyo says to Mrs. Lee. Mrs. Lee sighs, “Can’t you let go of your ego a bit, at least for Yejin?” Jihyo ignores what her aunt says and keeps on wipes Yejin body. “I don’t have his number and we can’t disturb him aunt.” “Why can’t we? Yejin is his son..”

“Yejin is my son and that it’s. He’ll be alright. ” “Noona, this fight is between you and Gary hyung but why Yejin becomes the victim? This won’t do.. I’ll call him..” Kwangsoo takes his phone from his pocket. “Good, son. Ignore what this girl says.” Mrs. Lee supports on Kwangsoo.

Jihyo turns to Kwangsoo and Mrs. Lee who are waiting for the other person to pick it up. “He’s not picks up.” Kwangsoo says weakly. “I told you not to disturb on him.” Jihyo says before continues to wipe on Yejin body. She actually was hoping Gary to pick up the call, but..

‘Where’re you when you’re most needed?’