Chapter 9

Thank You for Listening

  "I can't believe it!" She yelled as soon as she burst into the door, her voice startling a doctor that was passing by the room outside.

  She marched up to Jungkook's bedside and dumped her bag unceremoniously on the polished floor. "Do you know what grandpa wanted to talk to me about yesterday?!" She exclaimed. "He says he wants me to find a guy! He's actually pressuring me to get a boyfriend! Not just a boyfriend, but he's talking marriage!"

  She threw her hands up into the air. "I'm only sixteen and I have never even had a boyfriend in my life! And suddenly he expects me to find a marriage candidate?! Even my mom was pissed."

  She grabbed the metal railing on the bed, her force causing the bed to rattle. "And not only that, grandpa wants to control who I end up with as well! He only wants someone of either a high status or rich as hell. I nearly threw my bag in his face when he said that. I can't believe him! It's the twenty first century and we're in a first world country, who here talks about marriage at sixteen?!"

  She groaned and threw herself into the chair. "Are all rich people like this? I didn't know this still went on in modern society." She turned to Jungkook. "What do I do?" she moaned.

  She squeezed her eyes shut and she had her hand to her forehead as if she was suffering a headache. After a while, she opened her eyes and started talking again.

  "I'll just reject any idea he has of me dating some rich boy for his own benefit. Flat out, I'll just say no." Sufficiently calmed down, she dragged her bag closer to the chair. "I know this sounds embarrassing, but I always believed in that true love stuff you hear in Disney movies. I want to marry a guy I actually like, not for some business advantage." She blushed at her words. "I can't believe I'm telling you this, like you probably don't think of me as a total embarrassment already."

  "Well, good luck to my grandpa if he thinks I can attract a guy." She joked in a self-depreciating way. "I'm invisible in school already. I don't talk much outside, I'm socially awkward, and I can't flirt to save my life." She looked at Jungkook in an almost sad sort of way. Even after so many months in hospital, he still looked pretty handsome. She bet that he would never have had any trouble with dating back when he was awake.

  "I'm not much of a looker either." She said. "Well, I do think I look alright, and I think I look pretty good if I make an effort, but I'm not flashy or stunning or anything; nothing that would attract attention. No guy would actively go for me."

  The girl's face lit up in a smile. "My friend on the other hand, you should see her, she's really pretty! She's got the beautiful big brown eyes, and she's got the body of a model. Too bad she doesn't really make an effort. She says she's more comfortable wearing glasses and comfortable clothing. She thinks no guy is worth the effort of dressing up for." 

  The girl laughed. "But any guy would be lucky to have her, if they can handle her personality. She's pretty headstrong and fiery. Most people don't expect her to have that personality because she's usually reserved and a bit nerdy like me, but if you piss her off, she will fight you."

  The girl took out a thick book from her bag, opened it up to the folded page, and set it out on her lap. "Well, you probably heard enough of my life; I'll finish reading the chapter for you…"