Chapter 22

Thank You for Listening

  "It's a great day isn't it?" Hoseok said loudly with his hands dramatically up in the air. "Nice weather~!"

  "It'd be better without your cheesy lines." Jungkook replied in a drone. The weather was beautiful but the day was far from great as far as Jungkook was concerned. The day was warm, but being in the midst of busy crowds of people somehow elevated the temperature to sweltering.

  "Just trying to get you out of your lame mood, jackass."

  "Then do it in a less campy way."

  It was barely mid-day but Jungkook already felt tired. Hoseok and Taehyung really weren't kidding when they said that they were going to drag him here at any cost. He was only five minutes late in getting out of the house and he found Taehyung halfway through his kitchen window.

  It had been a long car ride, and they were now in line to get into the place. The line seemed to stretch on forever both from the front and behind. They had been waiting in line for over half an hour, the torturous wait was now made even worse by the fact that the family waiting behind them had a six year old kid who apparently wanted to be here even less than Jungkook did, and had just now started crying, loudly.

  Jungkook could only grit his teeth and bear it. Even though he had never been the type to receive headaches, he felt like he might be on the verge of one. The kid's wailing was shrill and sharp, but the only thing he could do was put up with it. He can't be mad at a child, they're small and don't know any better, even if he was annoyed, he wasn't going to snap at a child.

  Too bad Taehyung thought differently.

  "Oh my god, kid, shut the hell up!" Taehyung yelled with the ferocity of a barking dog.

  The kid looked stunned for a minute, completely silent, Jungkook and Hoseok were the same. Jungkook stared at Taehyung wondering what the hell he just did. Taehyung normally wasn't the type to yell; heck, he loved kids, too. Finally, the kid started crying again, only this time with even more tears. He was flat out bawling.

  "Where do you get off yelling at my kid?!" the mother demanded angrily.

  "Where does your kid get off just plain yelling?!" Taehyung snapped back.

  Hoseok tried to pull Taehyung back, but Taehyung just kept on talking. "You should teach your kid not to scream like a brat in public, you're his parents!"

  "How dare you-"

  At this point the father joined the argument as well; people around them were staring at them. Jungkook couldn't believe the situation Taehyung was putting them in. If he was on the verge on a headache earlier, he definitely had a full blown one now. This would be the first time in his life he had ever received a headache from stress.

  "Cover his mouth!" Jungkook hissed to Hoseok.

  Hoseok didn't even need to be told. He covered Taehyung's mouth with both his hands from behind and pulled him backwards away from the angry family. Jungkook stepped in between them.

  "I am so sorry for my friend's behaviour." Jungkook apologised, adopting his most formal language and tone. He didn't know why he was the one that had to apologise when he had done nothing in this incident and Taehyung was the instigator. "He just has some anger issues, but it's still our fault, we apologise, and we apologise to your child as well."

  The parents looked appeased but they still kept shooting glares towards Taehyung, who did the same back to them. The only reason Taehyung wasn't providing some retort at the moment was because Hoseok still had his hands firmly clamped over his mouth. Hoseok believed, correctly, that it would be a bad idea to let Taehyung go.

  Jungkook knelt down to where the kid stood. He had now lowered his crying to snotty sniffles. "Sorry about that little guy, he didn't mean it. Apology accepted?"

  The child sniffed, rubbed his eyes and nodded.

  Jungkook smiled and ruffled the kid's hair. "Thanks, kid."

  He stood up and returned to his group, who were now standing a considerably further distance from the family, creating a gap that the family chose not to close.

  Taehyung struggled free from Hoseok's grip. "Let me go ! I can't breathe!"

  Hoseok released Taehyung. "Wow, who knew you were so good with kids." He said to Jungkook, ignoring Taehyung gasping for air beside him.

  "Normally I'm not, I rarely talk to kids, but I had to do something thanks to Tae." Jungkook shot a glare at Taehyung, who was too busy catching his breath to notice. "I felt bad for the kid."

  "Tae, try not to make an of yourself again." Hoseok advised.

  "Screw you." Taehyung coughed.

  Finally they were at the end of the line. They each paid for their tickets and they were allowed in the streets of busy Insadong. Jungkook found it to be a welcome break, although the inside of the place was still packed, it had open space which allowed people to spread out, unlike the lines which were equivalent to a sardine can. It made the place feel considerably less hot, but still it made no considerable improvement in his mood. Taehyung's stunt and dented whatever was left of is good mood. Jungkook looked at Taehyung and sighed loudly.

  "Shut up and let's get going." Taehyung commanded, annoyed. He grabbed Jungkook by the shoulders and pushed him forward through the crowd.

  After several steps, Jungkook shook off Taehyung's hands and walked on his own. He walked slightly slower than the two of them so he lagged behind by a few steps. Every now and then the two would glance back as if to check that he was still following them. Jungkook thought that they might as well put a leash on him with the way they were acting.

  Once they passed the entrance area, the place started to look more like a fair or street carnival. Around them were stalls selling various trinkets and toys with little practical use, but were all pretty to look at. Ahead of them further away on the fields, they could see the shapes of rides such as a Ferris wheel, a mini rollercoaster, and various other rides that Jungkook didn't know the name for.

  Jungkook followed Hoseok and Taehyung as they went ahead to check out the things they wanted. Jungkook couldn't summon much interest in any of the stalls himself. The guys just briefly hovered over the stalls to see what they had, they didn't buy anything, except for Taehyung who wanted to buy a laser pointer. Jungkook could guess that it would make a great new tool of annoyance for both him and Hoseok.

  "Hey look it's one of those laughing clown games!" Taehyung pointed excitedly. He was pointing to a brightly coloured stall with several rotating clown head figures with their mouths open for you to throw a ball in. The clowns looked like they had suffered some years of wear and tear. The paint on them was chipped and they had lost the brightness in their colour. Instead they were dull and a little bit grey. Jungkook figured that they probably looked very creepy at night.

  "I used to be the best at this game!" Taehyung grinned.

  "Are you so sure about that now?" Hoseok challenged.

  "You wanna bet? I'll kick your ."

  "Good luck!" Hoseok laughed. "Jungkook, you're good at math, how much does it cost for two people?"

  "Do you seriously need to ask me for something that simple?"

  "I can't be bothered to think, it's the damn weekend."

  Jungkook rolled his eyes. "Twelve dollars."

  Hoseok and Taehyung handed their money to the guy behind the clowns and he gave them about five balls each. Jungkook knew that they were going to be there for a while. Both Hoseok and Taehyung were competitive, whichever won, the other would demand another game, and since both of them had plenty of money to burn, they'd probably be going for several rounds.

  Jungkook stood back, behind the other people trying to play the game. He was just going to watch them; he wasn't interested in participating, not to mention that he found those clowns creepy. You'd think that for an event this big, they could afford to get those things repainted.

  Jungkook smiled a little. He couldn't say that his mood was significantly better, but it had been a good idea for him to leave the house. He was grateful that Hoseok and Taehyung cared about him enough to force him out of the house. They were good friends, even if he was certain that from now on, they were going to also be his greatest source of trouble.

  He did wish that this place could be a little quieter though. The collective noise of people talking and ride music was a little overwhelming for a guy recovering from a headache. People's voices just seem to mix together. He could hear a child screaming, the voice of a group of girls chatting, and a guy on a loudspeaker advertising the haunted house. He could make out the sounds of a man coughing, a woman complaining about something, and…

  "…J…."

  Jungkook's eyes widened and his head snapped up. He heard something.

  "…Jung…"

  It was faint, very faint, almost completely blended in to mix of voices, but he was certain he heard it. It sounded so familiar. His heart sped up as his mind searched in its memory for where he had heard it before. His ears pricked up and it was as though every one of his senses were suddenly heightened. Time seemed to slow, the people around him slowed to almost a halt, every other noise seemed to grow softer as if someone turned the volume down with a remote.

  "…kook…"

  Jungkook spun around. He was certain of it; he knew who that voice belonged to. He had no doubts; he had been listening to it for half a year, almost the only voice he had heard in that year. He could never forget it.

  He scanned the crowd, his eyes darting everywhere, but he couldn't tell the source of the voice from the sea of heads moving around, the only thing that looking seemed to do was confuse him. He was getting agitated; he could hear the voice slipping away. He began to panic. He clicked his tongue; he'd just have to go with just the voice.

  He dashed off into the crowd, following the source of the voice with just his ears. He pushed passed people, clumsily moving through the crowd. He could hear people around him clucking in disapproval as they were pushed aside, but Jungkook didn't care. He could only focus on the voice.

  It was getting louder now, he was getting closer. He could hear it now just as clear as when he was in the hospital.

  "Rayoung, are you sure you're reading the map right? Give it here…"

  Just behind the horde of people, just in between two moving people, he could see a small, pale, delicate hand. It looked like the hand was about to move away. Before it could, Jungkook grabbed a hold of that wrist.

  The owner of the hand stopped in her tracks, surprised that suddenly she was being held back. She turned around to face the person holding onto her and her eyes widened. Her whole body loosed in her surprise and her handbag slipped off her shoulder. She opened and she whispered in a breathy voice that was barely audible.

 

 

 

 

 

  "…Jungkook."

 

[A/N: Aaaaaaaand we'll leave it at there for the day ;)

  Subscribe, comment, upvote!]