Chapter 14

Thank You for Listening

[A/N: Special update for Not_Jamless! Enjoy!]

  "Congratulations, Jungkook." Na Yeon said as she moved to give Jungkook a big hug.

  Jungkook smiled and returned to the hug. "Thank you for helping me, Na Yeon-sshi."

  Na Yeon let him go. "Don't worry about it."

  The two were standing in the hospital lobby, just enough behind the sliding glass doors that I didn't automatically open. Today was the day Jungkook was officially discharged from the hospital and Na Yeon was seeing him off.

  "Good luck finding her." she wished with a girlish smile on her face.

  Jungkook laughed. "I definitely will, don't worry about it." He took on a more serious expression. "Are you sure you can't tell me anything else about her? Her grandfather was at the hospital."

  She shook her head. "There are too many elderly people coming to this place to know which one he was."

  "Well, she told me about two months ago that her granddad and mom had a fight in the hospital. That should have raised attention."

  "This hospital is very big on patient privacy. If they caused a commotion, the hospital staff involved wouldn't talk about it. Wherever this fight happened, it definitely didn't happen in any area I work in."

  "Is there any other clue you can give me?" he asked. "Like any distinguishing features?"

  Na Yeon thought about it for a moment. "Well, like I said before she had straight black hair that just passed her shoulders and she was rather small looking in size. She has a pretty nice and clean face, but since she kept her hair loose, her face is kind of hidden most of the time." She looked like she remembered something. "Oh, her school uniform! It was dark blue!"

  Jungkook's ears pricked up, a school uniform would be of great help, but he needed more details. "Dark blue? Anything else?"

  Na Yeon gave a sheepish smile. "Well, the skirt was dark blue, but every time I saw her, she wore a non-school woollen jumper that covered her shirt, so I don't know what her shirt looked like. All I know is that the skirt was blue."

  Jungkook groaned in a joking fashion and ran his hand through his hand. Blue uniform pretty much described every other school uniform around. "Damn, looks like I have my work cut out for me."

  Na Yeon laughed. "Don't worry; I'll be cheering for you." She looked at him and smiled. "Good luck out there, kid."

  "Thanks." He smiled.

  Na Yeon held out a walking stick to him. He looked at the object and groaned. "Do I have to carry this?" For some reason the hospital insisted that he use the walking stick despite his protests that it was unnecessary.

  "Afraid so." She answered.

  Jungkook reluctantly took the stick, but he held it by the metal pole part. He was very unwilling to use it. He turned to the glass doors and began walking. "Well, see you!" he waved as he walked through the sliding doors.

  "Bye Jungkook!" she waved.

  He stood outside the hospital entrance and basked in the warm sunlight. It was the first time he had been outside in over a year, and he realised how much he missed the bright sun and open air. In front of him in the streets he could see several cars drive past and pull up. All around him he could see people walking in and out of the place both alone and with their families.

  Jungkook sighed. He would be making his trip back home alone, not that he had expected anything else. His parents were both overseas on either personal or business reasons. He had just dumped his girlfriend, and he didn't have any friends whose relationship with him was strong enough that they'd come visit them. Any that did had given up on him in the first month he was in hospital.

  Jungkook sighed again. Two years ago he had realised that he didn't really have any friends that were 'real'. Their relationship was shallow built on the fact that they either went to the same school or saw each other every day. They didn't particularly care about him, and that was the realisation that had sent him in a depression and eventually also to his situation in a hospital.

  But it was funny. He didn't really care about that anymore. It had been such a major factor in his life, but after listening to her talk for over a year about her life and her friends, his resentment had melted away. He now realised that it was also his fault that he didn't have any close friends. He never bothered to extend out his hand and ask for help. He never tried to get too involved in their lives. He never put effort in making the relationship genuine.

  Now that he was out of hospital, he was going to do things differently. He was going to make an effort instead of giving up. He was going to start everything from scratch and build up to what he hadn't had before.

  He looked at the single orange rose that he held in his left hand. It was the last surviving flower in the vase. The rest had all long since died and wilted. He only managed to save this one before the nurses decided to throw the rest away.

  He had spent the last week in hospital asking everyone around him if they knew anything about the girl who visited him. They were all surprised to find out that she wasn't his girlfriend, but they all provided what little information they knew, they thought of it as a romantic hospital story. Unfortunately it turns out the girl had also done a very good job keeping details away from the hospital staff. Nobody knew a name.

  He was glad that Na Yeon could give a description of what the girl looked like. It was greatly helpful to Jungkook to be able to finally put an image to the voice he's been hearing for a year, even if it was a vague one, but a small girl with black hair was a very broad description. It fit thousands of girls in the area. It wouldn't really help him find her.

  Jungkook twirled the rose in his fingers. It looked like it wouldn't last much longer. Its petals were drooping from the stem, the leaves were turning brown at the edges, and creases were visible in the petals. It would disappear soon, and with it, the last piece of physical evidence that she had ever been in his life.

  Jungkook readjusted his bag on his back, left the walking stick leaning against the hospital's wall, and began walking. He wasn't going to give up. He was going to find her somehow, but first he needed to get cleaned up, and he needed to get his life back together.

 

  And he also needed a haircut.