Chapter 37

Thank You for Listening

  Jungkook paced around his room, resisting the urge to check his phone. It was early in the morning on a weekend, but he had woken up even earlier than he would if it were a school day. Something was bothering him and he couldn't sleep.

  He had a feeling that it was about Jangmi. Naturally it would be so; she had ran away from him crying just yesterday and he hadn't hear from her since, but the feeling of dread in his chest told him that it was worse than that. Something was wrong. For a brief second he thought that maybe he was feeling anxious because he was worried that she may break up with him, but it seemed too trivial.

He was restless. He couldn't sit still and he was walking rhythmically in a circle around his room. He had sent several text messages to Jangmi but there had been no reply. His phone rested in his desk, and he was desperately resisting the urge to pick it up, knowing that there would be no reply.

  His phone rang and he instantly ran over to his phone. He hoped that it would be Jangmi, but as soon as he picked it up, his hopes were dashed. The caller ID said that it was Rayoung who was calling him.

  Why was Rayoung calling him? Suddenly his feeling of dread doubled. Rayoung wouldn't call him unless it had to do with Jangmi. Nervously, he picked up the call.

  "Jungkook?"

  "W-what's wrong?" Jungkook asked. Rayoung's voice was shaky.

  "I've got some bad news."

  And in an instant, his horrible dread was confirmed.

  "Jangmi's in the hospital."

  Jungkook was in shock. He stopped thinking and everything in the world seemed to stop. All noise around him diminished.

  "Jungkook?"

  Jungkook snapped out of it. He didn't know how long he had been out of it, but that wasn't the concern right now. "What? How?"

  "She was pushed down the flight of stairs at the overpass around your school. The police are getting involved."

  "Why!? Who did this?"

  "I don't know the full details as to why." She said, bitter anger in her tone. "But it seems to be your classmate. I think his name is Park Jimin."

  Jungkook's eyes widened in shock, his relationship with Jimin was damaged but he never thought that he could do anything like this. "W-where is she? What hospital?"

  "The same one you were in." she answered. "Room 227."

  "I'll be right there."

  He hung up the phone, grabbed a jacket and made a mad dash to his bike, ignoring anything else that went on around him. He roughly put on his helmet and drove to the hospital. He knew he was speeding but he didn't care, he needed to get to the hospital.

  As soon as he saw the big white building, he parked his bike and hopped off, running towards the glass doors. In front of him he saw Park Jimin standing outside the building, his eyes red and full of regret. The instant he saw Jungkook his eyes grew fearful.

  But Jungkook didn't even look at him. He shoved right passed him like he barely existed, and ran straight into the hospital.

  He jogged up the stairs and navigated the maze like halls of the hospital, counting the numbers of each room until he finally stopped in front of the door of room 227. He huffed, out of breath, and he put his hand on the door knob, only it opened outwards from a force pushing from behind. He stepped backward to avoid getting hit, and he came face to face with a black haired woman.

  Jungkook guessed that this woman was in her late thirties or early forties. She was of a thin build and her face boasted with high cheekbones. She had the face of a kind woman but one who has endured a great deal of stress in recent times. Jungkook instantly noticed a strong family resemblance with Jangmi. He knew that this woman must be her mother.

  The woman wore a look of mild surprise and looked him up and down. She smiled at him. "You must be Jungkook."

  "Yes. You must be Jangmi's mother." He replied. "Nice to meet you."

  "Jangmi has talked a lot about you." She said. "I keep telling her to bring you over some time so we could meet, but every time she made an excuse to put it off. She blushed and fidgeted every time I brought it up. She was always so shy when it comes to such things. She's too timid for her own good." She made a sad face and rested a hand on his arm. "It's good to finally meet you, although the circumstances are less than…preferable."

  Jungkook glanced at the door. "H-how is she?"

  Her mother sighed. "She's…well, maybe you should go in and look yourself."

  Jungkook looked at her and gave a brief nod. He opened the door and he stepped inside to a white room that was so familiar to him. Early morning light streamed in from the open window across the door, the pale curtains waved as the wind quietly blew in. Jangmi lay with her eyes closed on the bed, and standing by the bedside, was a friendly and familiar face.

  "Nurse Na Yeon."

  Na Yeon nodded and gave a small smile. "Jungkook."

  He walked numbly to the bedside. Jangmi looked like she was sleeping peacefully. "What's her condition?"

  The nurse made a melancholy smile. "Just like yours. She's in a coma."

  Jungkook felt the blood run out of his body. "How?"

  "She's mostly uninjured aside from a couple of bruises that will get ugly by night time but will go away, but when she fell down the stairs, she hit her head pretty hard and she got a severe concussion. She fell unconscious before help could get to her, so she's in a coma."

  Jungkook was in shock. He stared at Jangmi's body; she looked just like she was sleeping. He couldn't believe she was in something so serious.

  "Don't worry about it." Na Yeon tried to assure. "Concussion comas usually don't last that long, normally they would be awake by now. At the very worst she should wake up in a week."

  Jungkook walked closer to the bed and he rested his hand on Jangmi's, just like she did for him so many times before.

  "It's a bit ironic isn't it?" Na Yeon commented. "Your positions have switched." She sighed. "I've been wanting to congratulate you for finding her for a while, but now that I got to see you again, the timing and situation are all so wrong."

  Jungkook made no reply. He stood there silently. Nurse Na Yeon comfortingly rested her hand on his shoulder. "Everything will be fine." She assured.

  "What's going to happen now?" he asked.

  "Her family paid handsomely for her care. She will be looked after here until she wakes up." She turned to him. "Everything's going to be okay."

  Through the melancholy in the room, Jungkook smiled. "Yeah. I know."