Chapter 33

Thank You for Listening

  Jangmi sat in the bleachers of the crowded court. The quiet murmurs of the crowd surrounded her. The game had yet to start. Today she had come early; she was quite happy about that as in her mind it made up for being late the last game. She saw Sera coming her way and she tucked her legs back into the chair to allow her room to get into her seat.

  "Here." Sera said as she dropped a packet of chips on her lap. "They were cheap today so I bought extra."

  "Thanks!" Jangmi smiled.

  The teams began to gather onto the court. Jangmi caught Jungkook's attention and she waved at him. He flashed her a grin back. She smiled. She looked onto the other team as they poured onto the court, facing Jungkook's team. For a moment Jangmi thought the uniform looked familiar. She tried to search in her mind where she had seen it before but she it was difficult. She felt like she had it right on the edge of her mind but she just couldn't quite reach it.

  The uniform was forest green and a yellowish gold. She tried to think back to what school had green and gold colours. Just as she was about to remember, she saw the answer walking up to the front of the team.

  "Oh my God." She squeaked, her voice barely audible.

  Standing at the front of the team, obviously the representative of the school, was Kim Namjoon. He was glaring right at Jungkook, and he was showing him a blank face back.

  Jangmi fell off her seat. Her fall cushioned by her bag on the floor and thankfully muffling the noise. She dropped her chips on the floor. She hurriedly got on her knees and half crawled behind the chairs, hiding behind Sera as a shield.

  "What? What's wrong?" Sera asked panicked, looking confused.

  "It's Namjoon!" she hissed, her voice becoming squeaky.

  "Oh my God." Sera whispered. She turned back to the court and looked around. "Where?"

  Sera had heard plenty about Namjoon mostly due to her brother's loud complaining of him, but since she wasn't normally a part of their circle of friends, she had never met him in person and didn't know what he looked like.

  "The one up front of the other school!" Jangmi answered.

  Sera craned her neck to see. "That guy? Wow, he's quite hot."

  "Sera!"

  "Yes, yes, I know he's a jerk. I'm just a bit surprised is all. I didn't think he'd look like that." She bent down and grabbed both of their bags, placing each at her sides. "Here, there's more stuff to cover you with."

  "Thanks." Jangmi squeaked. "Do you think he saw me?"

  "Well, he's glaring at your boyfriend, so I think not."

  Jangmi peered at the court from a gap between her bag and Sera's side. The game had started. At the moment it looked like Namjoon was too focused on the game to have noticed her. If he saw her, their meeting would be made even more awkward with their last meeting in the shopping centre. As she tried to get a better look, a pair of legs blocked her vision.

  "Sewon?" Jangmi looked up.

  Sewon peered over the bags, looked over at Namjoon and then back at her. "Wow, he really is your ex." She said.

  "Y-yeah…" she mumbled.

  "I'm just a bit surprised. I debated with him before. He came of as kind of an uppity jerk."

  "S-sorry."

  "What are you apologising for? He's not your boyfriend anymore." Sera added.

  "How did you ever get with him?" Sewon asked.

  "U-um…my grandpa and his dad are kind of…friends that set us up…"

  "You mean forced you." Sera snorted. "From what I heard, he was a jerk to you, and you should hear the stuff my brother says about him."

  Sewon pointed a finger to the court. "Well, it looks he's got it out for Jungkook out there."

  Jangmi poked her head over the bags to see an intense game on the court. As usual she couldn't tell what was going on, but she could spot Jungkook and Namjoon. They appeared to be glaring at each other as they fought for the ball.

  "Looks like it's your current boyfriend versus your ex." Said Sera. She took out her phone. "My brother would love to hear about this."

  "Um, who's winning?" Jangmi asked.

  "At the moment the scores are even." Sewon said.

  Jangmi watched nervously as the game continued. She did her best to get a good view despite her awkward position. Sera had her phone out and was recording the game. Yoongi and Seokjin would love to have footage of this. Jangmi hoped that Jungkook would win. If Namjoon won, they would never hear the end of it. He would gloat until he lost his voice. Not to mention it would give way for a string of insults to come Jungkook's way.

  Jangmi adjusted her weight uncomfortably. She had been kneeling behind Sera for a while. Thankfully the seats behind her were empty, but it still didn't give her much room. The joints in her legs were aching after supporting the pressure of her weight for so long, and her position was restricting blood flow.

  The game still hadn't made much progress. From what Sera was telling her, both teams were extremely competitive. Every time one team looked like they were winning, the other quickly evened the score.

  "Okay, one more goal and our team wins." Sera explained.

  Jangmi stared intently at the court. She was tense at the possible outcome. Jungkook had the ball and he was dribbling it across the court. Several of the opposite team members were chasing him, including Namjoon. The other members were blocking her view of Jungkook. Through the blur of limbs, she saw Namjoon's foot hook Jungkook's ankle, and he stumbled and dropped the ball. He nearly hit the floor before he regained his balance.

  Jangmi felt something hot rise up in . She pushed herself up with all her force and rose up from the seats. "He tripped him!" she shouted, pointing her finger straight at Namjoon. He looked stunned that she was there.

  "I saw it too!" Sera backed up for her.

  "Referee!" Sewon called out.

  Suddenly Jangmi fell back onto the floor, discovering that her legs were numb after kneeling for so long. Her knees were sore, and the fall hurt her backside. Sera shot up to lend her a hand in getting back up.

  While Jangmi struggled to move her legs enough to get into the seat, there was an argument going on in the court. When she was finally seated, it appeared that the argument was resolved. "What happened?" she asked.

  "I don't know." Sera answered.

  Sewon returned from the court to where they sat. "Okay, they're starting again. They're letting Namjoon off."

  "What? Why?" Sera exclaimed in disbelief.

  "They say they don't have enough evidence."

  "We saw it though!"

  "Well the thing is…" Sewon began with her brows furrowed. "Jungkook didn't point him out as the perpetrator."

  "What!?" Jangmi and Sera both exclaimed. "Why not?"

  Sewon sighed. "If I had to guess what he's thinking, he wants to end the game fairly."

  "Why?"

  "I don't know. His damn pride or something." Sewon clicked her tongue and shook her head.

  "So what's going to happen?" Jangmi asked.

  "They're restarting from before the trip." Sewon answered. A whistle was blown and the game started again. "See?"

  Jangmi was speechless. She didn't understand why Jungkook would just let Namjoon get away with it. He cheated. And by letting him off, he was risking losing to him.

  She was even more nervous as she watched the game. She clenched her hands tightly as she listened to Sera explain what was happening. All she could see was a blur of movement on the court. Finally she heard the crowd erupt in cheers.

  "Mimi!" Sera exclaimed excitedly. "Jungkook and Hoseok won!"

  Relief washed over her and she cheered in excitement. She moved in to give Sera a tight hug, and her hug was reciprocated. Jungkook gave Hoseok a high five and they laughed. Namjoon scowled at them but all they did was grin.

  "My brother's going to love this." Sera grinned.

  The players moved off the court, and soon so did the crowd, slowly filing out of the doors. Jangmi waited impatiently by the side of the doors even when everyone else had already gone home, until she saw Jungkook come out.

  "Congratulations." She smiled, running up to him.

  "Thanks."

  "Why did you let Namjoon off?" she asked.

  He shrugged. "I kind of wanted to prove to him that I could beat him fairly." He looked at Jangmi sweetly. "Thanks for sticking up for me." He bent down and he gave her a soft kiss on her lips.