Chapter 10

Thank You for Listening

  "Hey, Jungkook." The girl greeted numbly as she entered the room. Her tone wasn't cheery or upset, it sounded neutral, like a person greeting a stranger.

  She grabbed the seat by the bed and dropped into it. She sat down with her elbow on her thigh and her hand propping up her chin. There was a sour look on her face.

  "You know the dating topic my grandpa brought up a couple weeks ago?" she began glumly. "He's been bugging me about it the entire time. It's the first thing that comes out of his mouth when I come see that old man. I keep telling him I'm not interested but it just goes in one ear and out the other. I just came from grandpa's room you know." She said. "And do you know what he said to me? He said he found someone for me! Not only did he ignore my very blatant objection, he actually went out and found some guy!"

  She grabbed her bag roughly onto her lap and rummaged through the contents until finally pulling out several sheets of paper that were creased and crumpled as she had obviously taken no care while stuffing them in her bag. She held them up to Jungkook although she knew he couldn't see.

  "Grandpa actually gave me sheets! Sheets! These have all his family details, hobbies, and even a photo of him! What does grandpa think this is? Homework? A contract?!" she yelled. She roughly flipped through the sheets. "Apparently this guy is the child of one of my grandpa's best business friends. He wants me to meet him. When I said I didn't want to, he said that he would find other candidates. I didn't want to drag any people more into this."

  "Even my mom thinks this is taking it too far. She actually got into grandpa's face. It was so awesome to see my mom stand up to that old fossil." She laughed. "Grandpa started yelling too of course, but this time my mom's not going to back down so easily. She's actually still in grandpa's room arguing right now! I think some of the nurses are in there too now, trying to calm them down."

  The girl stopped laughing and held the sheets of paper to her face. On the first sheet was a profile picture of the boy, clad in a fancy private school uniform with a military theme.

  "The guy's not bad looking." She commented. "In fact, if I showed this photo to the girls in my class, they'd probably start squealing like boy group fan girls. But I still don't want to meet him." She flipped through the pages with her thumb. "It says here that he has excellent grades, a good school reputation, is part of his school's student council, and actively participates in sports. I think he's probably a nice guy, but I don't want to meet him under such messed up circumstances. Good guy or not, I don't want to date, or god forbid-" she shuddered. "Marry him."

  The girl sighed. "I really don't want to date a guy I don't know, and I'm pretty sure we have nothing in common, and I know for a fact that he definitely runs with a different circle from me. Even if things do go according to grandpa's plan, I don't think it would work out."

  "If I do have to meet him though." She began; her tone grew slightly more optimistic. "I can just tell him that I'm not interested. I mean, this guy is obviously smart, he'd understand! I mean, who in this day and age have arranged date meetings except for old people like my grandpa? I'm sure he's probably like me and just as against it. I mean, it says on this thing that he's popular, so he probably would date someone way better than me."

  A smile broke out on her face. "Yeah, that's what I'll do! I'm sure this resolve itself." She folded the papers in half and stuffed them back in her bag. She turned to Jungkook and smiled at him. "You know, I bumped into the nurse, the one that's always here, Na Yeon. And you know what Na Yeon told me? She said that the last time the doctor came to check up on you, you moved your hand!" She reached out and rested her hand on top of his. It felt warm. "That's so great, Jungook! You know that this means that you'll definitely recover soon. It would be so great if you wake up. I'll pray twice as hard for you to wake up soon."

  She giggled. "As soon as you wake up, you definitely need to get a haircut. It's reaching your shoulders now. You have a pretty face, so you might even be mistaken for a girl!" she joked. She looked over at the flowers sitting in the glass vase. The flowers were starting to wilt again. Some of the stems of the flowers were getting bendy and were drooping over the vase edge. "Looks like I need to replace the flowers again."

"You know, my mom just brought some fresh roses this morning. I'll bring them over here next time…"