Chapter 32

Thank You for Listening

  "Sorry I'm a bit late." Jangmi apologised, huffing as she was out of breath.

  "Don't worry, I saved you a seat." Said Sera, patting the empty seat beside her. "What took you? And why are you out of breath?"

  Jangmi sat down and dropped her bag on the floor. "The bus driver was new and he didn't know the directions and a passenger had to direct him. I'm tired because I had to some through some people to get here. There's an argument between some people outside here and they were kind of blocking the way." She turned her attention to the active basketball court. "Did I miss anything?"

  "Not much. The game just started." She answered. "Why is your bag so chunky?" she asked, referring to how angles of books stuck out from beneath the fabric of her bag.

  "I'm meeting with Rayoung in the shopping centre after this and she needed me to bring her the textbooks she left in my locker yesterday."

  "Oh, okay." Sera looked back onto the court. "Nothing important has happened in the game yet, but I'll tell you when anything happens okay?"

  "Thanks Sera."

  Having finally caught her breath, she sat back and watched the game. She still couldn't really tell what was going on, which was embarrassing since most normal people would've gotten this by now, but she could easily spot Jungkook in the midst of all the players. He looked like he was having fun, and that was worth watching for her.

  The game played on and Sera occasionally informed her of what was going on, although she put in much less effort in before, simply just saying short phrases. Some crowded murmuring behind her informed her that the fight outside was still ongoing and was now attracting attention from the spectators. After a while she heard the high pitched squeak of a whistle and the players dropped the ball and moved off towards the side of the court.

  "A break?"Jangmi asked.

  "Yup." Sera confirmed.

  From out the corner of the court appeared a person that was unexpected by Jangmi. Standing in front of the team and standing straight and holding up her index finger as if making a point, was Park Sewon, graceful and confident as ever.

  "Is that Sewon?" Jangmi asked. "What's she doing?"

  "Dunno." Sera shrugged. "But she's holding a clipboard and she's got a whistle around her neck. Maybe a coach or manager or volunteer or something."

  Jangmi watched as Sewon conversed with Jungkook. She handed him a water bottle and the two laughed about something. They appeared to be chatting casually and having fun. Jangmi felt something heavy weigh in her stomach. She couldn't help but feel inferior again. Sewon was pretty, confident, assertive, and intelligent. She and Jungkook seemed to fit together. They definitely seemed like they would make a more compatible couple than Jungkook and Jangmi did.

  She wondered why Jungkook and Sewon broke up in the first place. He had never made any mention of her even once since she knew him. Jangmi understood that most people didn't like talking about their previous relationships, but she was a little bit uncomfortable with it. It added to the list of things she didn't know about him.

  "Are you okay, Mimi?" Sera addressed her with her nickname. "You've gone kind of quiet again."

  "I'm fine." She brushed off. "Do you know what's the time?" she said, quickly trying to change the subject. "I don't want to be late to meet up with Rayoung, but I also want be able to talk to Jungkook after the game is over. Do you think there's enough time?"

  "I'll check for you. Wait, let me get out my phone." Sera fumbled through the content of her bag. "What time do you need to see Rayoung?"

  "Oh, it's…"

***

  Jangmi sighed as she drew shapes in her mint choc chip ice cream with her mini plastic spoon.

  "Okay, what's wrong." Said Rayoung bluntly.

  "Hm? Nothing's wrong."

  "Don't give me that, I've known you for years." Said Rayoung. "It's to do with your boyfriend isn't it? What happened?"

  Jangmi looked bashful. "Well…y-you're kind of right…but nothing happened. Everything's fine with us. It's just my worries getting a bit overboard."

  "What worries? You can always tell me you know."

  "Well, it's nothing big." She answered, embarrassed. When she tried to put it into words, it sounded so trivial. "I'm just a bit worried because we don't really have that much in common, and I still don't know that much about him…"

  "Well, you guys have only been together for a short while. You'll know him better with time."Rayoung stated. "And you guys seem pretty happy despite being different so I don't think that's a problem."

  "Thanks Ra." Jangmi smiled. Rayoung had a very blunt way of speaking, but Jangmi loved how she always did her best to cheer her up. "How are things going with Tae?"

  "It's fine." She said.

  "You can tell me more than that." Jangmi teased. "You guys are so cute. I never would've thought you would like someone like him."

  Rayoung's brows furrowed and her cheeks were tinted pink. "I didn't either." She grumbled. "Didn't think I would like him but it's been really fun. He does the craziest things and I'm pretty certain I should start an emergency bail him out of jail fund, but it's really exciting and he's pretty sweet."

  "Aaaaawwww." Jangmi cooed.

  "Shut up." Rayoung moaned, embarrassed.

  Jangmi's eyes widened suddenly and dropped open, her face the picture of stunned shock as she stared past behind Rayoung. Her hands slackened to the point that she could almost drop her ice cream. "Shut up."

  Rayoung turned around and the first thing she saw, standing at a stall and paying the cashier, was Kim Namjoon. "Oh that son of a ." she hissed.

  The two girls looked at each other and then both dashed off in the same direction. They ducked down behind a row of large potted plants, wedging themselves in between the rectangular pots and the glass surface of the railing that prevented people from falling into the shopping centre floor below.

  "Do you think he saw us!?" Jangmi whispered.

  "No, he was busy paying the cashier." Rayoung answered in a hushed tone.

  People walking by gave them strange looks but the girls didn't care. They just hoped that their glances didn't tip Namjoon off that they were there. Jangmi wanted to move to find a better hiding space since she was worried that Namjoon might see their reflections in the glass, but she was too afraid that he might spot them if they moved away from the pots and out into the open.

  "What do we do?" Jangmi panicked.

  "I don't know!" Rayoung hissed. "Just hope that he goes away."

  "Is he gone yet?"

  "I don't know, I'll check." Rayoung she lifted herself up higher to peek over the plant leaves, but before her head can rise above the top of the pot, Jangmi pulled her back down.

  "No! Don't do that! What if he sees you?"

  "Then how else do you expect us to see if he's there or not!?"

  "How about you just stick your phone camera up and take a picture? We can see if he's still there from the pic."

  "Good idea, let me get my-"

  "What are you doing?"

  Rayoung jumped from the noise, knocking the giant pot back. Jangmi was surprised by the noise but was relieved when she realised that it wasn't Namjoon, but it was the voice of a girl. She looked to the side and saw a familiar face. "S-Sewon?"

  Sewon wore a puzzled look on her face and looked at the both of them strangely. "Jangmi?"

  "Who is she? She knows you?" Rayoung asked Jangmi.

  "What are you doing?" Sewon asked.

  "U-uh, w-well, I uh um…"

  "We're hiding from her ex." Rayoung answered for her.

  "Seriously?" Sewon raised her eyebrow. "Isn't this going a bit far?"

  "You severely underestimate my dislike for this person."

  Jangmi shyly nodded to agree with her friend.

  "Hey, can you do us a little favour? Can you tell us if there's still a teenage guy near the stall behind us?" Rayoung hissed, jerking her thumb behind her.

  Sewon looked over to the stall. "Well, there's a guy there but, wait, I think that's Kim Namjoon from Anyoung."

  ", that jackass's still there!"

  "Wait, Kim Namjoon's your ex-boyfriend!?" Sewon gasped.

  Jangmi nodded bashfully.

  Sewon wore a look of disbelief on her face which Jangmi didn't blame her for having. It was difficult for most people to believe that a character like her and Namjoon would ever be a couple. Despite Namjoon being a snob, to the outside public he was known as a smart, handsome, and respectable young man, and Jangmi normally wouldn't even come close to his circle of people.

  "Well, now we got the explanation down, can you please leave? You're bringing attention to us cuz you probably look like you're talking to a bunch of plants." Rayoung hissed.

  Sewon didn't look quite done with the questioning and looked directly at Jangmi. "Are you serious or is-"

  "Jangmi?"

  The hair on the back of Jangmi and Rayoung's necks stood up as they recognised that voice. Standing looking over the pots was Kim Namjoon, confused and had a disapproving expression on his face.

  Out of Jangmi's mouth was a string of stutters as she tried to come up with a sentence to say.

  "! Run!" Rayoung yelled. She grabbed Jangmi by the wrist and the two of them shot out from behind the pots.

  "Wai-" Namjoon called out from behind them.

  Without looking back, Jangmi and Rayoung ran as fast as they could towards the shopping centre car parks, leaving a stunned Namjoon and Sewon behind them.

 

[A/N: **THE FOLLOWING CONTENT INCLUDES SHAMELESS ADVERTISING FROM TWOSUNS**

UYCReYG_zpsjkgvrbnm.png

Summer, 1023:  

  In the ancient times of Goryeo Dynasty in South Korea, Emperor Namjoon ruled the Namkyung area, later known as the City of Hanseong. When his daughter is of the golden age to get married, he wishes Prince Seokjin from the Kingdom of Baekje to marry her, reason being that he wants to create a powerful force in the Dynasty if two rich kingdoms form an aliance by the marriage of their royal children.

  After stumbling into the Princess by accident, Jeon Jungkook, who is a servant at the Royal Palace of Namkyung, immediately falls in love with her. However, knowing his rank in the Royal Palace, he knows that there is no way that the Princess will love him. But when the Princess decides to make him her personal servant,

 

Jungkook realizes that he might just have a chance.

 

  Hop over there and show me some love? :>