Chapter 21

Thank You for Listening

  The sun was shining, the air was clear and fresh, and there was not a cloud in the sky. The weather had been almost perfect the past few days; however Hoseok and Taehyung felt none of its positive effects. Instead the good weather seemed to be covered up by the depressing air surrounding their friend.

  Jungkook wasn't really showing it much; most of their other classmates couldn't tell anything was wrong. He still played soccer and basketball with them, he did well in class, and he seemed to be laughing during social situations like he normally would. However it was the little things that were different about him that set the mood around him, things that only Hoseok and Taehyung noticed.

  He was much quieter. It was almost eerie. He didn't initiate conversations, only respond to when asked. While most of the others were talking, he just stood at the side silent and staring off into space. He ate less during lunch, there was always at least half leftover, and he walked slightly slower than he normally did.

  ", did you see Jungkook today?" Taehyung asked.

  "I saw him go to class, but I didn't get to talk to him." Hoseok answered.

  "Can you try?"

  "What do you think I've been trying to do this whole week?!" Hoseok snapped. "Every time I ask him, he just brushes it off and says that he's 'fine'."

  Taehyung groaned and ruffled his hair in frustration. Jungkook's mood was pissing him off. No matter what they tried to do to get him out of it, he just seemed adamant in staying in his little hole of depression. "Can't even talk to that jackass after school, he's just been going straight home after the last bell rings."

  "We need to get him out of the house." Hoseok decided. "He's only got two classes today; he's going straight home after third period. We need to cut him off before he leaves." He turned to Taehyung. "Do you have a free fourth?"

  "No, but that doesn't matter."

  "Good, meet him at the parking lot as soon as the bell rings."

***

  Jungkook walked with his bag loosely on one shoulder. He walked around to the back of the school where the parking lot was. As he approached the row upon row of vehicles, he pulled out his keys from his pocket, the metal jingling with each step he took.

  As he neared his motorbike, he saw that there were two guys standing right in front of him, blocking his way.

  "Yo." Hoseok greeted, noticeably irritable in his tone.

  "What are you two here for?" Jungkook asked calmly. He pointed to Taehyung. "Don't you have chem?"

  "So?" Taehyung responded.

  "We're here to talk to you." Said Hoseok.

  Jungkook sighed. "I told you guys I'm fine."

  "That is bull and you know it."

  "We're here to get you out of your extremely lame depression." Said Taehyung.

  "I'm not depressed." Jungkook replied. There was a hint of annoyance at their allusion that he was.

  "Then what do you call your moody attitude?" Hoseok pointed out. "You've been quiet all week, you eat less, and you're pretty much house bound. It's starting to piss us off." His voice was beginning to rise. "Your attitude is starting to rub off on us, and that's not the only thing that's annoying us, Sewon's starting to notice it too, and the last thing I want to deal with is your ex-girlfriend coming up to me and asking questions." He glared at Jungkook. "Do you think that the girl you're looking for would be happy to see you like this? See you moping about for a goddamn week?!" 

  A growl was beginning to form in Jungkook's throat.

  "There's a street carnival in Insadong tomorrow." Taehyung cut in. "We're here to tell you to get the hell out of your rut and go with us."

  "Street carnival?"

  "There's a proper name for it but I don't remember it. Basically it's like a fair. Stalls, food, rides and performances."

  Jungkook sighed. "I'm not interested-"

  "Not your choice." Hoseok stated. "You're going if we have to drag you by your ankles in your pyjamas into my car. Taehyung will pick your lock."

  "If I say okay will you let me get to my bike?" Jungkook asked, now visibly annoyed.

  "Either way we're still showing up at your house tomorrow at ten."

  "Fine, I'll go." He answered curtly. His answer sounded less than sincere but it made little difference. It was enough to satisfy Hoseok and Taehyung. He pushed pass the two and got on his bike.

  "See you tomorrow." Said Hoseok.

  Jungkook grunted in response before he took off, leaving behind him the roar of the engine of his motorcycle.

  Jungkook drove straight home, through the usual streets and roads. He found himself on his front door much earlier than he normally would as he had driven at a much faster speed than usual; a driver had actually flipped him off from their car because of it.

  He unlocked his door and headed straight up to his room, unceremoniously dropping his bag and jacket onto the hardwood floor. He shut his door and plopped himself onto his bed. He was agitated.

  He rolled over and groaned. He shouldn't be annoyed at his friends, they were looking out for his best interests and he knew that, but their confrontation still hit a nerve with him. One thing that annoyed him was the belief that he was depressed. He wasn't. He had been at that point in his life once before, and he had sworn to himself that he was never going there again. He was just frustrated.

  After so many months of searching, information being so infuriatingly small in number and difficult to come by, he had come across something that could have been a potential clue, only for it to be another dead end. It was enough to drive him insane. He almost felt like giving up right then, but he had promised himself that he was not going to give up on anything again; especially not when the end result was so important to him. 

  This past week he was admittedly not normal, but he definitely wasn't depressed. He felt a strong sense of frustration, and he wanted to keep to himself until he calmed down lest he snapped at somebody. Socialising was not in his interest when he was pissed. Jungkook had felt that he had done considerably well over the week in acting normal, the only ones that had picked up on anything were Hoseok and Taehyung.

  He sighed. He should at least be grateful that he had two friends that looked out for him. He really did appreciate their sentiment, but he wanted to be left alone for at least a few more days. He considered ways to get out of going to Insadong tomorrow, but every idea was met with a block. If he chose not to go, Taehyung will without a doubt pick his lock, and they would end up dragging him out unprepared. He didn't doubt that they would go that far. Jungkook was strong but he was no match against two guys both the same strength as him and twice as determined. If he blocked his doors some other way, Taehyung would probably still break in somehow or other.

  Jungkook had no choice but to give up. He would have to go with them. He might as well, going out would probably be good for him. It wasn't healthy for him to be cooped up inside his house.

  Jungkook hopped off his bed and grabbed his laptop. If he was going there tomorrow, he might as well look up some details.