Chapter 38

Thank You for Listening

  Jungkook saw a group of people ahead of him, standing to the side of the automatic glass doors of the hospital. They waved at him and he picked up his pace to join them.

  "Welcome to the club." Taehyung greeted.

  "What are you all doing out here?" Jungkook asked. In front of him was everybody: Hoseok, Taehyung, Sewon, Rayoung, Seokjin, Yoongi and Sera. Jungkook was surprised since it was the first time they had all gathered together in the same place.

  Rayoung jerked her thumb towards the hospital doors. "We all came separately to visit Jangmi, but her dried up mummy of a grandad kicked us all out. So we all ended up grouping together here. We're waiting around for a while to see if the wrinkled prune will leave so we can see her."

  "So what have you guys been talking about out here?"

  "We were just talking about Jimin and the police." Seokjin said with her voice full of spite, his hands balled in angry fists.

  "The police were all up in the hospital room the other day." Said Jungkook, remembering how they had invaded the room just the other day. "They were pretty pushy with the interview questions."

  "I know right?" Sera added. "They even tried asking me, and I didn't even have anything to do with it. I just woke up one morning to get news that the police want to see me and Jangmi's in a coma."

  "The police are like this because her grandfather was very insistent to the police that somebody should be blamed for this." Jungkook sighed.

  "They should just hurry up and send Jimin's to jail for assault." Yoongi spat. Seokjin nodded beside him, his arms firmly crossed over his chest.

  "He's not going to be punished." Sewon said suddenly.

  "What!?"

  "At the most he's going to get a slap on the wrist." Sewon continued. She looked just as disgusted as everybody else.

  "What!? Why!?" Rayoung yelled.

  "How!?" Hoseok asked. "For Christ's sake, everyone knows he did it, our whole school's been talking about it, the guy even confessed to some of his friends!"

  "His mother's a lawyer." Sewon answered. "A very good one."

  "Well, when Jangmi wakes up and tells the police that he did it, I don't think even the best lawyer in South Korea can get him out of that." Said Sera.

  Rayoung tossed her arms up in the air. "Oh my god, Jangmi wouldn't press charges! You should know her by now; she's too soft hearted to do that to anybody!"

  Jungkook nodded.

  Sewon breathed out and buried her face in her hands. "I feel so bad for this. I feel like it's my fault."

  Jungkook patted her on the back. "You didn't do anything; none of this is your fault."

  "God." She hissed. "I didn't think he'd do something this bad. I always knew there was something a bit off about him. He always seemed a little creepy. He was really happy when Jungkook was in the hospital, you know. I tried to distance from him, but I didn't think that it would end with someone in hospital."

  "Stop blaming yourself." Jungkook comforted. "None of this was your fault, you told him flat out that you weren't interested. Everything he did was his own responsibility."

  Rayoung walked up to her and wrapped her arm around her. "It's not your fault that you caught the unwelcome attention of some creep."

  "How did you even catch the attention of a guy like that in the first place?" Sera asked.

  Sewon sighed. "We were in many of the same classes. So we started talking. He seemed totally normal. He seemed like a pretty nice guy and he often helped me out, so I considered him a good friend. But I quickly noticed that he was kind of a jerk wad to other people when I wasn't around. I heard rumours around school that he liked me, but I really wasn't interested in him like that, so I tried to distance myself. When I finally told him straight out that I wasn't interested, he got really pissed. He started spouting crap like how he was so nice to me and I just blew him off like that. After that I stopped talking to him."

  "What a jerk." Said Rayoung.

  "And that jerk's getting off Scott free for putting Jangmi in the hospital." Yoongi spat.

  "Well." Taehyung started with a smirk. "Maybe not."

  Hoseok's eyes lit up. "You got a plan?"

  Rayoung crossed her hands and smiled. "Well, a basic idea."

  "Just a little bit of justified revenge." Taehyung grinned. "Nothing serious, we're just going to scare him a little. But we're going to need some muscle."

  "Taehyung you can't be serious-" Sewon began.

  Seokjin and Yoongi raised their hands enthusiastically. "We got plenty of that."

  "What? No!" Sewon exclaimed.

  "Great! Let's get started then."

  Jungkook stepped away and turned to the glass doors. "You guys go do that; I should go see Jangmi now."

"See ya Jungkook!"

  Jungkook walked towards Jangmi's room, shaking his head. Whatever Taehyung had planned, without a doubt it would leave a lasting effect on Jimin. The additions of three very angry best friends would probably make the situation so much worse for him.

  Jungkook lifted his head and he saw a person in front of him that made him slow down his pace. Standing right outside Jangmi's room door and staring at him, was the old, wrinkled, yet stone hard face of her grandfather.

  "Hello sir." Jungkook greeted in his most formal tone.

  The old man pointed his walking stick to the room. 'I hear it was one of your buddies who did this."

  "He was a former friend, but we haven't spoken in almost two years."

  "Either way, you better cough up any information you know about him to the police." He ordered. Jungkook could tell by his tone and demeanour that he was a man accustomed to people following his orders. The man curled up his lips in what could be a snarl on is time weathered face. "I paid top dollar for Jangmi's care and to have that punk arrested. He better pay for what he did. I will not stand by and let my granddaughter suffer through this."

  Jungkook's eyebrows furrowed and an irked expression briefly crossed his face. "Excuse me for sounding rude sir, but if you were concerned with Jangmi's wellbeing, then why did you force her to change her last name and arrange to have her married into Kim Namjoon's family?"

  The old man threw his head back and let out a loud "Ha!" he pointed a shaky but intimidating finger at Jungkook. "You got guts boy, to be speaking to me in that tone."

  "Please answer the question." Jungkook said.

  "What do you think boy? Of course she would be better off with the name of an established and respected family than that of her uneducated mother. Jangmi is a woman so she has no place to take over my business. Giving her to the Kim's ensured that she would be well looked after by a family on our level, and that my business combined with the Kim business would carry on, and she would continue to be protected by my name and fortune."

  Jungkook kept his face expressionless. The old man slowly turned away and began hobbling down the hall. "You better do as good of a job at looking after her as the Kim's. If not, I will give her right back to them."

  Jungkook balled his hand into a fist. "Jangmi doesn't need your help or mine. She never did." He heard one last "Ha!" before the old man disappeared down the hall.

  He turned to the door and stepped into the room. He walked over to the bedside and dragged the nearby seat closer to the bed and sat down. In contrast to the tense air in the hall where he had talked to her grandfather, the room was peaceful and calm. Jangmi lay on the bed, looking almost like a sleeping angel.

  Jungkook sighed and sat back in the seat. "You know, I just talked to your grandad outside." He began. "He's as unpleasant as you described, and maybe even a little bit worse. He looks the picture of a cranky old geezer…But you know, I don't think he's completely unredeemable."

  "Yes, he's unpleasant, but I you know what I think? I think he does care for you as his granddaughter. I'm not saying that that justifies anything he had done or makes him any less of a nasty person, but I know that this matters to you. I know family is important to you."

  "I think he did a lot of the things he did for your benefit. Albeit he was very misguided in the way he does things and his beliefs. I don't think he's evil. He's old, crotchety, cranky, selfish, and very old fashioned, and definitely incredibly ist, but I don't think he's evil. You know, he said he engaged to you to Kim Namjoon because he thought that he could take care of you."

  He chuckled. "God, there were so many things wrong with what he told me. Sewon would probably start the biggest argument with your grandpa if she had heard. She feels very strongly about these things. I'm pretty certain Rayoung would just kick his if she heard as well."

  He smiled and sighed. "You know, I've been thinking about what you said to me last time. I'm sorry, and you're right. I have been avoiding telling you some stuff about my life. It's only normal that you would feel unhappy about that. It wasn't because I didn't want to…there's some stuff about my life I'm not proud of, I've made decisions that I know that you'd think are incredibly dumb."

  He leaned forward and rested his hand gently over Jangmi's. "You know, I really don't know if you can hear me or not. But I could hear you when I was a coma, so I'm going to take the chance. To me it had made all the difference to my life. Even if you can't hear me, it doesn't matter. I'll just repeat everything all over again when you wake up."

  Jungkook smiled. "So I'm going to tell you everything. I'll come visit you every day and I'll tell you everything I've been avoiding telling you. This may be long and boring, and you may grow to think I'm annoying after this, so I'm going to say this in advance…"

  "…Thank you for listening."