Chapter 34

Thank You for Listening

  Jungkook read through the school notices on his phone, flipping through most of the content as they didn't apply to him. He was just trying to find information on his basketball practice times since he heard from a classmate that it was changed. At the moment it looked like it was just a rumour since he couldn't find anything on the web page related to basketball, so instead he was just scrolling through the numerous notices. Lost property, overdue books, and information on the school play. All of them were boring to him, but one notice caught his attention.

  All those interested in joining in helping the community please join the newly established charity club, please see Mr Jung in the history staffroom if you wish to join or want more information of the club and our activities.

  Before, Jungkook wouldn't have bothered to even read a notice for charity, once upon a time he would have found it tedious, but now it caught his interest. He held his phone in front of Jangmi. "What do you think?"

  Jangmi read the contents, mouthing the words as she read. Jungkook had discovered that it was a habit of hers to mouth out the words she was reading.

  "Do you think I should join?" he asked her.

  Jangmi looked up and enthusiastically nodded her head, a bright smile on her face. Jungkook should know that a nice girl like her would be all in for this idea.

  "You really should!" she encouraged. "It'll be a good thing to put on a resume, and it would be great to help other people!" she blushed and she lowered her voice. "Uh, I-I mean, that is if you want to. If you're not interested in that kind of thing."

  Jungkook grinned. "Do you do any charity work?"

  "Well, I do, but not in school. It's not really anything big. It's just volunteer work at a nearby animal shelter. You know, wash and feed the animals sometimes."

  "How come you've never said anything about this before?"

  Jangmi shuffled around uncomfortably. "Well, I don't go there that often anymore…Grandpa doesn't like it. He thinks it's below our station to be working with what he calls 'mutts', and he doesn't like that he can't keep track of me there."

  "He doesn't let up, does he?" Jungkook sighed.

  "Yeah. But it's okay, grandpa's a bit less um…attentive to what I do so I called the shelter and now there's an arrangement for me to go every other week. I think that's long enough to stay under grandpa's radar."

  "Well, if he does notice, I'll just cover for you."

  "Thanks, Jungkook."

  Jungkook smiled. Jangmi's charitable nature was rubbing off on him. He looked back to his phone. "You know, I think I will join. It'll probably be good for me."

  Jangmi beamed and she stood up on her toes to give Jungkook a small kiss on the cheek.

  "Well, then I'm definitely going if that's the reaction I'm getting from you." He grinned.

  Jangmi flushed.

***

  Jungkook opened the door to the meeting room. He was a bit late since he was held up by a detention that was Taehyung's fault but he got blamed for. Half of lunch was over and he was pretty certain he missed out most of the important stuff being discussed by the club. He hoped that there would be a friend of his in the club so he can catch up on the details without having to ask the teacher. Mr Jung was notorious around the school for providing long and unnecessarily drawn out answers to any questions asked by students.

  The inside of the room was packed with students all varying in ages. Unlike in a usual classroom where all students are neatly seated in the seats, kids were sprawled over on the tables, cabinets and floors. Two senior girls were sitting cross legged on the desks with a third girl lying on the table with her head in one of their laps. Bags were piled on tables and on the floor, and there was a seventh grader sitting inside the open book cabinet playing on a DS.

  There was one face that he recognised; sitting at the desk right beside the teacher with a pen in her hand and taking down notes, was Sewon.

  "Jungkook!" she said when she saw him. "I didn't know you would be joining."

  "Thought it might be fun." He said as he sat in the seat next to her. "Can you tell me what happened so far? I was stuck in detention with Tae."

  "Well, we were just discussing what activity we should do." She slid a sheet of paper in front of him. "So far we have these ideas."

  Jungkook briefly read through the sheet. The ideas ranged greatly from starting a cupcake stall to raise funds for a charity, to raising awareness of abuse. "So has there been an agreement on any of these?"

  "No, right now we're just pitching ideas. We also still need to see which one of these ideas will be approved by the principal."

  "Oh, okay."

  The teacher raised his voice to speak to the room. "Okay, all of these ideas are great, but they need to be pitched to the principal in a way that he would agree to them. They need some polishing, and some of these ideas are also quite controversial. Who wants to volunteer to work on this and how them to the principal?"

  Sewon raised her hand up.

  "Okay, Sewon. We should have one more since all this work might be a bit much for one person. How about you, Jungkook?"

  Jungkook was surprised that the teacher singled him out of the entire class. It must be because he was sitting right next to Sewon. "Sure, sir." He answered.

  "Looks like we're partners." Sewon smiled. She handed him a pen. "Let's get started."

  She then continued to make plans with Jungkook on how to go about the activity. He was soon struck by the realisation ta this arrangement was rather awkward. Sure he still talked to Sewon often, but he hadn't been placed in a situation where they were so close for such a long period of time.

  "Jungkook, are you listening to me?" Sewon asked with annoyance in her tone.

  "Yeah, sorry I was a bit distracted." He apologised.

  He pushed the thought out of his mind. He was making a big deal out of nothing. It would just be two friends working on club activities. Nothing bad was going to come of it.

 

[A/N: Or is it really???]