Chapter 35

Thank You for Listening

  In a quiet, near silent library around Jungkook's school, where the only sound that could be heard was an occasional cough, Jangmi stood hidden in between the shelves, trying to balance herself in a crane position. She reached her hand up, trying to grab a book without falling down. She had her knee raised and was balancing eleven books stacked on her thigh, her other hand resting on the top of the books so they wouldn't tumble.

  The one book she wanted seemed just out of her grasp. Her fingers could touch it, but she just couldn't get a solid grip. If she stood higher on her toes she might be able to grab it, but in her current position, she was likely to fall. She would have put the books on the floor, but somebody had spilled something wet onto the carpet, and since it had a weird and unidentifiable smell, she didn't dare let the books touch the floor.

  She stretched her arm as far as it can go, but still the book didn't seem to want to move out from the other books it was wedged between. As she was tugging it out, a larger hand grabbed the book and pulled it out. Surprised, she hopped back. Both her hands swiftly moved underneath the books to support them and she dropped her leg.

  "Here." A male voice said, and he dropped the book atop the stack in her arms.

  "O-oh, thank y-you."

  Jangmi looked up and was surprised to see a face she had seen before. It was a raven hared boy with an eyebrow piercing, the rude boy who had bumped into her at Jungkook's school and made an insincere apology.

  "Well, isn't this Im Jangmi."

  "H-how do you know my name?"

  "You're the famous 'hospital girl'." He answered. "Rumour travels fast around my school."

"O-oh." Jangmi didn't like the fact that she had made a name for herself at Jungkook's school, but it was a plausible explanation. Still, she didn't like how he had called her by her full name. It felt weird for people she didn't know to call her by name.

  "I'm Park Jimin." He introduced with a smile.

  "Nice to meet you." She answered in a polite but wary tone. He appeared friendly and nice, but she felt that there was something off about him. His eyes, they were looking at her, not in the normal way where a person's eyes flicker around to see you as well as the surroundings, this boy looked directly at her, his eyes as unmoving as a doll's.

  "That's a lot of books." He commented.

  Jangmi suddenly felt self-conscious. Ten out of the twelve books she was holding in her arms were manga. And they were the really girly kind as well. She blushed and hoped that the two normal books were large enough to cover the manga. "Y-yeah."

  "Here, let me help you with that." He said as he moved forward to lift the books off her.

  Jangmi took a step backwards and turned away. "N-no thanks. I'm fine."

  "Why not?" he asked. "Those books are obviously heavy."

  "I'd rather not bother somebody I don't know." She said.

  "I'm just offering help." He said with a smile.

  Her eyebrows furrowed. She didn't like his friendly attitude. Normally she would accept this behaviour from anyone else, but with Jimin, there was too much of a discrepancy between how he acted the first time she met him, and the current one acting nice to her. It was suspicious. "Thank you, but no thanks."

  She tried to walk away but Jimin followed her. "Hey, if it's about the way I acted when I bumped into you, I'm sorry; I was in a bad mood that day."

  "Thank you for the apology." Jangmi said with no gratefulness in her voice. She highly doubted his sincerity. "But I have to go."

  Jangmi sped up her pace and left him behind. She knew she was being rude and she felt a bit bad about it. But she got a strange feeling from Jimin. The way he acted so friendly and charming was similar to Namjoon's public façade. Except Jangmi had to say that Namjoon wasn't as bad as Jimin; at least he didn't give off a weird feeling.

  Suddenly she heard something hit the bookshelves behind her, and the sound of several books tumbling off the shelves. She spun around and saw Jimin on the floor, hunched over and leaning on the bottom of the shelves.

  "W-what happened!?" She exclaimed, panicked. She rushed over to Jimin as fast as she could with the weight of the books and knelt down in front of her. He was clutching his chest; his breathing was shallow and rapid, before it grew deeper and more difficult. She could hear him wheeze, and his symptoms soon increased to coughing.

  "A-are you okay!? What's happening?"

  "A-asthma…a-attack-k." he coughed, barely able to push out the words without a wheeze in between.

  "Oh my God." Jangmi panicked. She set her books down on the floor and she took out her phone. "Should I call an ambulance?!"

  "N-no!" he wheezed. He forced himself to stand up. "I-it's fine, it happens. I-I j-just need fresh air."

  Jangmi didn't know how an asthma attack should be treated, but she still felt that she needed to call somebody. But she decided to listen to him. She supported him by the arm and helped to lead him outside. She looked back at her books as she left, but chose to just abandon them.

  She led him out to a small bubbling fountain outside ad she sat him down by the edge. She waited with him as his coughing and wheezing slowly began to subside.

  "Do you need some water?" she asked nervously.

  "N-no, I'm fine.' he answered with a rasp.

  "Are you sure you're okay now?" she asked with her phone in hand. "I can call for help."

  Jimin waved his hand dismissively. "Don't worry about it, it happens a lot. I just have mild asthma."

  Jangmi thought for a moment that his attack didn't at all seem to be mild, but she kept shut.

  "S-sorry, I have some medication in my bag. Can you come with me to get it?" he said with a weak voice.

  "H-huh?"

  "I left my bag in my school, it's really close to here." He said in a begging tone.

  Jangmi didn't really understand why she needed to go with him, but he looked so ill and weak that she felt a twinge of pity. "O-okay."

  "Thanks." He smiled. He got onto his feet and began walking in the direction of his school. Jangmi followed behind him. She silently walked the path towards Jungkook's school, wondering why he would leave his bag in the school while he went to the library. It was definitely a very short way from the school to the library, a two minute walk, but it still seemed a bit strange.

  She followed him into the school and passed several of the buildings. The place was empty, school had ended a while go and there was not a student in sight. It was eerily silent. They walked into a building and Jimin pointed to a classroom door. "My bag's in there." He said, and he went into the room. Jangmi waited outside.

  Jangmi heard muffled talking around her, which startled her. She hadn't been expecting any noise from what she thought of an empty school. The noise appeared to be coming from the other classroom in the building. Through the brown wooden door, she could hear laughter and light-hearted talking from the other side. She thought it was strange the voices sounded familiar.

  "That's your boyfriend in there."

  Jangmi jumped and saw Jimin beside her. "D-don't do that."

  "I didn't do anything." He shrugged. "You were the one distracted."

  "What… did you mean that's Jungkook?"

  "Just look through."

  Jangmi walked up to the door and looked into the little rectangular window in the door. Inside she saw Jungkook and Sewon, sitting side by side over an open exercise book. The both of them were smiling and laughing, casually chatting about something together. Jangmi felt a pang of something sharp go through her chest. Jungkook and Sewon looked so close. They looked more like a couple than Jangmi thought she and Jungkook ever did. The two of them looked almost like a picture book good looking couple.

  She stepped back from the door. Why were they together? What was Jungkook doing here with Sewon? Why hadn't he mentioned anything about this to her? Hundreds of unpleasant thoughts passed through her mind.

  "Looks like your boyfriend's getting pretty close with Sewon." Jimin said. Jangmi turned around and saw a smile on his face." Isn't he getting a bit too close for just a club partnership?"

  Jangmi's face showed her confusion.

  "Oh? Didn't he tell you?" he said. "If I were you I wouldn't be too happy that he's getting so friendly with his ex-girlfriend."

  Jangmi was speechless. She took a slow step backwards, and then she took another. She her heels, and without another word, she ran out of the building, leaving Jimin behind.