Chapter 26

Thank You for Listening

[A/N: Double update tonight!]

  Jangmi thanked the bus driver and hopped off the bus. She checked the time on her phone to make sure she wasn't late, even though she didn't really need to, she was about ten minutes early. But for her, she still felt worried that ten minutes might cutting it a bit close, what if some unforseen thing happened that would slow her down?

  She pushed the thought out of her head. It was just her nervousness making her anxious about every little thing. She told herself to stop worrying and she continued on her way to Jungkook's school entrance.

  She had learnt that for whatever reason, Jungkook's year finished school about an hour late today. They had previously decided to meet up that day, so she decided that she might as well just go see him at his school.

  Jangmi found herself in the school's entrance and she peered in through the gates. The place was empty, every other student had gone home and Jungkook's year had yet to be released. She admired how clean and orderly the school was. There was a row of orange flowers by the path into the school building. The school was a private school, but smaller than Namjoon's. Jangmi thought it looked better though, she found Namjoon's school to be a bit flashy in showing that they were rich.

  She leaned with her back against the brick wall next to the gate. She was nervous, in her head she kept wondering whether showing up at his school like this would be considered weird. Namjoon had done that to her, it was his way of knowing where she was as soon as she left the school, and also his way of advertising to her classmates that she was 'taken'.

  But this was different; she wasn't here for the same reasons as Namjoon. She just wanted to see Jungkook and hopefully it'd be a nice surprise. Or at least that was what she kept telling herself. In the back of her mind she still nursed the worry that this was creepy or weird.

  She took out her phone and opened her phone camera, checking her face in the screen. She made an effort to look nice today. Nothing dramatic, but she had did something to her hair. She moved her phone to the side of her head to check if anything was out of place. She had braided the front section of her hair and tied it in the back. It was a modest difference but it served to keep her hair out of her face.

  She put the phone back in her pocket and wondered how long it would be until Jungkook came out. She heard quiet chatting behind the gate and she saw a couple of boys exit the school, passing right by her. His year was probably leaving now.

  She waited as more students left the school gates, each passing her by without noticing her, until Jangmi felt a tap on her shoulder.

  "Hey hospital girl! What are you doing here?"

  "Oh hey, Taehyung! It's you." said Jangmi as she recognised the bleach blond hair and crazy grin.

  "The one and only." He smiled. "Are you waiting for Jungkookie?"

  Jangmi nodded.

  "Aaaww that's so sweet I'm going to barf." He made fake gagging sounds.

  "Shut up." Jangmi giggled. She was starting to like Taehyung; She liked his eccentric personality. "Weren't you the one who came to our school to visit Rayoung?"

  "I was just passing by." He defended.

  Jangmi grinned at that.

  "Hey, get out of the way, you're blocking the gate." A girl's voice ordered.

  The order was directed to Taehyung and not Jangmi, as Jangmi was standing by the wall just out of the way of the entrance. Taehyung turned around to see who was telling him to move and is face dropped all emotion and his mouth closed shut. He quietly moved to Jangmi's side. Jangmi wondered what would make Taehyung go quiet all of a sudden and she stared at the girl in front of them. 

  She was pretty. That was the first thing Jangmi noticed. She had a beautiful face with pointed features. Her hair was cut in a shoulder-lengthed, slick black bob that was parted from the right side of her head. She wore her uniform differently from the other students, it was neat and flattering. The school jumper only reached to her slim waist and was tucked in at the bottom, and the skirt fitted to her waist. Jangmi didn't know how she managed to achieve this with a school uniform but she admired it. Overall, Jangmi loved how this girl looked. She wished she could look like that.

  "You need to stay out of the way of other students, Taehyung." She said.

  Taehyung rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

  She noticed Jangmi standing behind him. "That's a different uniform. Are you waiting for someone?"

  Taehyung made a panicked expression, but Jangmi didn't notice it. "Y-yeah, yes I am." She answered.

  "What's your name?" The black haired girl asked.

  "U-um, I'm Jangmi. Im Jangmi."

  "Who are you waiting for? Some students are staying behind out back for a short meeting, maybe they are back there. If they are I can take you." She offered.

  "Jungko-"

  A hand came around her neck and covered , muffling her answer.

  "Don't worry about it Sewon, I got this covered." Taehyung said, and he used his other hand to push her through the gates and all the way down the path, shoving through some other students who gave them strange looks.

  Jangmi struggled free from Taehyung's grasp and turned back to see the girl, apparently named Sewon, standing looking at them from the gate, her shoulders slack and slightly agape. Taehyung quickly grabbed her by the shoulders again and turned her away from Sewon, pushing her behind a wall until they were out of sight.

  "Taehyung! Let go of me! What was that for!?" Jangmi demanded.

  "Trust me, I just saved both our asses." He said.

  "Huh? Why? Who is she?" Jangmi peeped out from the wall to catch another look of Sewon but Taehyung immediately pulled her back by her slim wrist.

  "Don't do that!" he hissed. "Look, that girl is Park Sewon and she's…Jungkook's ex."

  The words took a while to sink in for Jangmi. For the first few seconds they were just sounds and letters that meant nothing to her, but her brain finally translated the words and their meaning sunk in. She felt like something heavy like a stone had just dropped into her stomach.

  "So you see we really don't want her around to be asking questions." Taehyung explained. "Oh ! He's here!"

  From further in to the school, Jungkook could be seen approaching the entrance.

  "Look, none of this ever happened okay?" Taehyung said to Jangmi, stressing the importance of his words. "Especially my involvement okay? I don't want to die!"

  "Hey what are you doing here?" Jungkook asked, looking at Jangmi with a look of pleasant surprise, but at Taehyung with suspicion.

  "Oh…um I came to see you." Jangmi answered. "I hope it's not weird or anything."

  Jungkook was speechless, and he coughed to hide a blush. "No, it's great." He smiled.

  "Imma just leave you two now." Taehyung backed away and made the puking gesture with his hands.

  "See you." Jungkook waved, choosing to ignore his exaggerated show of disapproval. He noticed how Jangmi seemed to be looking at the ground. "Is something wrong?"

  "Huh? Oh, no…nothing's wrong." She smiled. It was a lie. She glanced back to where Sewon had been standing. It was a shock to her to see his ex-girlfriend. She was so beautiful. She had the grace, and confidence which Jangmi sorely lacked. She wondered why Jungkook would go for her instead of Sewon.

  "Are you sure?"

  "I'm sure." She smiled again.

  He leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Let's go then."