Chapter 41

Thank You for Listening

  Jungkook opened the door with his left hand while balancing the weight of a bouquet with his right. Once again, the florist took liberty in arranging it. It was really elaborate. The flower shop workers knew his story since he had visited them in his search for Jangmi. When he came back, they had asked him if he had found her yet, and when they heard that the answer was "yes, but she's in the hospital", they made an effort to make sure the flowers they arranged for him were very well done. Jungkook regretted it; these were a bit embarrassing to carry through the hospital, especially when pretty much every worker knew the backstory to it. He really needed to change florists.

  He stepped in to see Nurse Na Yeon writing something on a clipboard.

  "Well that sure is a pretty bunch of flowers, Jungkook." She said with a cheeky grin as soon as she saw it in his hands.

  Jungkook groaned and walked over to the window. "Can you please not? And please tell your co-workers the same thing. I won't come back to this hospital in future if this goes on. All the workers give me really weird grins when they see me, the receptionists know me by name and keep saying "good luck" to me."

  "Oh come on, don't rob us of a little fun. We work in a place filled with death and disease. Your little love story is like the light of the hospital. It's become legendary. It's a great conversation starter; you should see how some of the nurses and even the doctors squeal about it. It's better than a movie, and we now have a story about this hospital that we can pass on to future patients."

  "God, please no." Jungkook joked.

  "Come on, it's so cute!"

  "How can you stay so light-hearted when it's over Jangmi being in a coma?"

  "It's a concussion coma." Na Yeon said, waving her hand dismissively. "By all means she should've woken up ages ago. She should be awake any minute now. We've kept some workers on high alert for it so we can call you, and be the first ones to hear how the story ends."

  Jungkook stood around awkwardly, looking at Jangmi and then to Nurse Na Yeon. "Um, do you mind leaving?" he asked, but he kept a smile on his face.

  "Oh! Yeah!" Na Yeon hurried outside. Before she shut the door she stuck her head into the room one last time. "Oh, and if she wakes up, tell me immediately okay?"

  Jungkook rolled his eyes. He turned back to Jangmi and sat down. "Sorry about this Jangmi, but when you wake up you're going to get a pretty nasty shock over how much this story has blown up. You're going to get a lot of attention from the doctors and nurses." Jungkook imagined how she'd react and he laughed. "Good luck dealing with Nurse Na Yeon."

  "I'm still not sure if you can hear me or not, but like I said before, I'll just repeat everything I said when you wake up."

  "And I guess we're now up to the part about my high school life. Well, for most of it was pretty normal, had friends, played soccer and basketball. Nothing really interesting happened until…" he made an awkward face and looked away. "Well, until Sewon. This is…really weird to be talking about to you but…well, you wanted to know…"

  "Back then I was friends with Jimin. We were in the same group of friends so we were considered to be pretty close by the school. I first bumped into Sewon because of Jimin. At lunch my friends and I saw the two walking together and he introduced her. I already knew quite a lot about her since Jimin talked about her a lot. Sewon was polite and she said hello. There wasn't much interaction on the first meeting, but she left a huge impression. I mean, she held herself elegantly, she moved really gracefully, and she had an air of confidence and togetherness about her. I could immediately tell what Jimin liked about her. She was really pretty too. I mean, you've seen her. She looked like could model. And she took care in her appearance."

  "Oh God, please don't break up with me for saying this." He begged. "After the meeting, I didn't really intend on talking with her or anything afterwards, but we kept bumping in to each other. We didn't even have any classes together, but we kept bumping into each other in the halls, the school court, and the library. Even a couple times in the shopping centre. It was a bit awkward since we talked really easily but we both kind of were trying to avoid it at the same time. We talked about a lot of stuff; some of our hobbies were similar. I found out that she was a smart girl with a very strong and sturdy personality. The type of girl that knew what she wanted and worked for it. I was really impressed by her."

  "Then one day I went to a party started by one of my friends. And I found out Sewon went there too. We met up by accident when I found her in the hall of my friend's house. Well, we spent most of the time chatting, neither of us was that interested in the party. Sewon wasn't the type to go to these; she came with one of her friends who begged her to go with her. A friend of mine interrupted us because he needed help with something. I don't remember what it was anymore, but after I finished helping him, I found Sewon bent over on the kitchen floor. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she the heel of her shoe just broke, and that she wanted to go home but her ride was now drunk. So I offered to take her instead."

  "I helped her outside and I took her home. I helped her to her front door. Before she went inside, there was a quiet moment. At that point I was fairly certain I liked her. She looked lovely. She leaned in and well…we nearly kissed. But I backed away the last second since I knew Jimin liked her, and I had an obligation towards my friend. I made it clear to Sewon. I just left her there and went home."

  "Well, we still kept bumping into each other everywhere. You can guess that it was pretty awkward, since there was obviously something there but we were trying to avoid it. Finally one time after school, she came up to me after soccer practice and I was at my locker. She made it clear that she wasn't going to leave me alone without talking things out. She said that since we liked each other, there was no reason not to get together just because one other person liked her. And I ended up agreeing…and we kissed. I knew I was going to upset Jimin…but I'll be completely honest…I didn't really care."

  "After that, Sewon broke the news to Jimin, and he came up to me and started a huge fight. He kept yelling at me but I didn't say a single word back. I didn't really feel anything…I knew I had done something bad to the guy, so I just took it. I thought deserved it, especially when I really felt nothing about doing it. He concluded that it was all my fault and I did nothing to change it. I really don't know if I let him because I didn't care enough to correct him, or whether I thought it would just be easier for him. But either way I regret not doing it since it led to you getting hurt."

  "So that's the story of how I met Sewon. Jangmi, I am begging you, please don't break up with me for telling you this. This might have been unpleasant to hear, but I wanted to clear up my side of the story. Please don't break up with me, and thank you for listening."