Chapter 2

Thank You for Listening

  "Hello again!" The girl said nervously as she shut the room door behind her. In her arms she held a simple bouquet of white roses wrapped up in clear wrapping. "Surprised to see me back here so soon?"

  It had only been a day since she last came here. She walked over to the window sill. "I have to visit my grandpa again so I'm here…again. Sorry, but I kept my promise! I got you some fresh flowers!"

  The girl began removing the wilting roses from the vase and unwrapping the bouquet. "I got you some fresh white roses! They just came into the shop today so they're definitely of good quality. My mom even helped me arrange it into a bouquet, which isn't really that useful if I'm going to put it straight into a vase, but it was fun to do something with my mom."

  The girl finished arranging the flowers in the vase and sat down in the seat beside the boy. "Sorry, I'm blabbering again…I really hope it doesn't bother you if you can hear me, but I don't know why…but I find it really easy to talk to you…I know it sounds strange doesn't it? I have trouble telling my problems to my friends, but it's so easy to talk to you, a guy I don't even know…"

  The girl broke into a bashful smile. "Oh hey! Your name! I checked the sign outside your room and it says Jeon Jungkook. It's weird, I said so much to you the other day and I didn't even know your name…I really should have checked. Sorry, Jungkook." She tapped a finger to her cheek and made an expression of thinking. The girl made a melancholy smile. "You don't know my name either. I'm not going to tell you. If you know my name and you wake up, you might rat me out." She laughed. "What I'm doing is already embarrassing. If you can hear me you probably think I'm annoying and weird. I'm not going to put a name to my voice."

  The girl stood up and looked at his peaceful face again. "It's really easy to talk to you…it's weird because I'm pretty certain we're very different people."

  She looked at his arm lying at his side outside of the blankets. Tubes were hooked up to his wrist. Looking along his arm, the girl could see that although Jungkook was thin, he was wiry. He had compact muscles. Obviously he did a lot of exercise.

  "You're probably the really sporty type. You look it. You're slightly tanned as well." The girl looked at her own arms. They were pale and slender, she rarely exercised. If she could, she would spend all her days on the sofa. "Meanwhile I can't stand physical exercise, especially in sports. I at it." She laughed.

  "You're pretty good looking to. I bet you're popular." The girl blushed. She couldn't believe she just said that out loud. She was glad that she didn't give him her name. It would be incredibly embarrassing if he could hear her.

  "I'm just your regular socially awkward nerdy girl." She laughed softly. "I like reading, and I'm a little bit more obsessed than normal over some TV shows." She shrugged her shoulders timidly. "Also maybe some anime."

  Ugh, she sounded like such a nerd right now. She could kick herself.

  The girl looked around and sighed. "My grandpa still wants me to change my last name…he's really insistent. But I really don't want to. My mom doesn't want to either." She frowned. "My grandpa is so rude to her. He treats her like a moocher or something. Our business isn't doing so well without my dad, so right now we're relying on grandpa to support us. He told me that if it weren't for me, he wouldn't lift a finger to help support my mom. He called her a gold-digger."

  The girl started to look angry. "My mom's not a gold-digger. We lived a normal middle class life. My dad chose my mom over his rich family, and I'm starting to see why. My grandpa is so difficult." She scowled, looking disappointed at herself. "I know I shouldn't think of my grandpa badly. He's still my direct relative after all…I guess I should try harder to get along with him…"

  She shook her head. "Things have really been getting hard ever since my dad died…Mom's upset but she tries really hard not to show it. It's even worse with grandpa always degrading her. I know she doesn't want to rely in him for help but after dad died, our business is starting to struggle so we're having money troubles…we need to rely in grandpa to pay the bills. I really don't want to see my mom sad, and I can't even do anything to help it."

  Tears dripped from her eyes and landed on her blue jeans, colouring her pants in dark blue spots as the liquid seeped into the fabric. "O-oh, sorry…I didn't want to cry. Sorry you have to listen to my blubbering. God I must sound so pathetic right now…" she sniffed. "I miss my dad…"

  The girl slapped both hands onto her cheeks and shook her head, replacing her sad expression with a smile and blinking back tears. She wasn't going to cry anymore. She looked at the white roses sitting on the window sill. The sunlight illuminated the white petals, giving them an almost angelic glow. They looked beautiful but the white colour of the hospital seemed to bleach out the effect of the roses. The light disappeared behind a cloud, leaving the roses almost blending into the white background.

  "I should have gotten you some more colourful flowers." She said as she sniffed back her remaining tears. "The white looks a bit gloomy in the hospital." She stood up and made her way to the door. "If I come visit you again, I'll bring you some brighter flowers. I'm sure your room will become brighter if I do."

  The girl looked over at Jungkook. "Hey, thanks again for listening. I hope you'll wake up soon."