Chapter 13

Thank You for Listening

[A/N: Early surprise update!]

  Jungkook woke up to a bright white hospital room. His bones creaked almost painfully when he tried to move them, which was to be expected as he had not moved a centimetre in over a year.

  After so long, it felt amazing to be able to stretch his muscles again. His eyes were light sensitive for the first few minutes of waking, causing him to squint heavily, but once they returned to normal, he opened his eyes to see the midday light shining through his window, illuminating a glass vase of flowers in an angelic glow.

  The medical equipment must have picked up signs when he woke up, because within minutes of him opening his eyes, a doctor and a nurse rushed into the room. He spent the next forty minutes being asked questions by the lady doctor, as well as get briefed on what has happened in the time he had been unconscious, not that he didn't already know, but after waking up he felt groggy and slightly disoriented, so he was passive to whatever the doctor and nurse wanted to do.

  It wasn't until they had finally left that his mind had begun to clear, and he was able to think clearly. He soon received a call from his parents. He dragged himself out of bed with the aid of a nurse; he was surprised at how much his muscles had atrophied. He felt tired by the simple walk to the telephone.

  His father called first, next was his mother. They told him nothing that he hadn't already expected them to say. Very simple congratulations, a very brief summary of what happened in a year, and a stunted attempt to convey their relief, even though Jungkook knew they didn't care that much. They had only visited him for the first week in hospital. But now, he no longer really resented them for it.

  When he got back to his bed, he was only there for about an hour when came a rapid knocking on the door and a loud cheery girl burst into the room.

  "Oh my god, Jungkook!" she squealed with relief. She ran across the room and gave him a tight hug. "I can't believe you're awake! It's been over a year! The doctors said you'd never wake up!" The girl noticed that Jungkook was making no effort to reciprocate her hug.

  "Jungkook?" she asked with a confused and worried look on her face as she pulled away.

  Jungkook looked at his girlfriend for the first time in over a year. She hadn't changed at all from the last time her saw her. She still wore her chocolate brown hair in the stylish bob haircut, and like a Barbie doll, neither her height nor figure had changed one bit. Her facial expressions had suffered no development at all in the past year.

  "Noona…why didn't you visit me one time while I was in a coma?" he asked with a blank face.

  Park Sewon was taken aback by his question. "W-well, t-the doctor-" she hastily tried to explain.

  Jungkook shook her head and gave her a sympathetic smile. "It's okay, I understand. I wasn't given very god chances by the doctors. It's only normal that you'd give up."

  Sewon's face looked stunned. was gaped open. She looked like she didn't know what to say. She reached out to grab his arm. "B-but Jungkook, I-"

  Jungkook gently reached out with his other hand and lifted Sewon's hand off of his arm, returning it to her side. "You can go do whatever you want now. You don't have to think about me anymore."

  Sewon's eyes filled with tears. "Jungkook, are you-?"

  He nodded.

  "B-but- Jungkook-"

  He slowly shook his head. "Goodbye, Noona."

  Tears started flowing down her cheeks, and she burst into tears. She covered with her hands before turning on her heels and slowly headed to the door, trying to stifle the sound of her cries. She turned to Jungkook one last time, but all she saw was the same emotionless face looking at her.

  Jungkook watched almost unemotionally as he watched the girl who once was his girlfriend leave in tears. He felt bad, but a feeling that overshadowed that was a feeling of tiredness. He knew things could no longer work out, and it would be wasted effort to continue trying when his heart was no longer into it. It was strange. Once a long time ago, he was so sure that what they had was unique, was real. He had thought she was the one, and that this relationship would last for so much longer.

  Sewon bumped into a nurse entering the room as she left it. She didn't apologise, instead, she turned her head away so that the woman couldn't see her cry.

  The nurse looked at the door where she left with a concerned and puzzled look on her face. She pointed a finger to the open door and looked at Jungkook. "U-uh, is she?"

  Jungkook waved his hand dismissively. "Don't worry about it."

  The nurse shrugged her shoulder. "Not my business I guess..." She mumbled. She turned to him and flashed him a bright smile. "Congratulations Jungkook, you did so well surviving. You don't know me, but I've been doing your check-ups for you for the last year. My name is Na Yeon."

  Jungkook nodded in recognition. So this woman was Na Yeon. She was a young and kind looking woman with long black hair in a low ponytail. "Well thank you for helping me, Na Yeon-sshi."

  "No problem." She smiled. "It's part of my job after all. Oh, we should really go call your girlfriend, after visiting you all year, I bet she will be just ecstatic to know you're awake. I bet she'd just fly in through the doors to give you a hug." Na Yeon looked like she just came up with a bright idea. "Oh I know; why don't I go call her for you. What's her number?"

  Jungkook shook his head. "I don't know."

  Na Yeon's brows furrowed. "You don't know her number? Isn't she your girlfriend?"

 Jungkook raised his thin pale hand to his forehead, where on his skin; he could still feel the light ghost of a gentle kiss. "No…She was."