Chapter 25

Thank You for Listening

  Jangmi paced up and down her room. She had been procrastinating leaving the room all day. She didn't even have breakfast. Her stomach was growling.

  She looked around the room. It was very big but it was oddly decorated. Half of it looked like a teenager's room; the other half looked like it belonged to an old man. The room was designed to suit her grandfather's tastes, and she found when she moved in, that her possessions only filled half of the massive room.

  She sat herself on her bed. Her room was the only place she could really refer to as 'home'. She still wasn't accustomed to her grandfather's house. She didn't like the size that seemed to emphasize emptiness, she didn't like the fact that it had servants, and she didn't like the fact that people she didn't know came in and out of the house, more often than not dressed in suits. Her room was still the only place that she felt comfortable.

  Today the rest of the house looked even more unappealing than usual. Everything was too quiet. Ever since she came home yesterday, she had been expecting a confrontation with her grandfather. But nothing happened that night, and still even now, there was not even a peep of news from her grandpa. It was eerie. She couldn't shake off the feeling that her grandpa should be bursting into her room at any moment angrily spitting out questions for her. She had been dreading the fight with her grandpa, but strange calm in the house was making it worse.

  Her phone rang and Jangmi jumped. In her tense state she was very jittery. She picked her phone off her bedside table and saw Jungkook's name on the screen. She sighed a breath of relief. It wasn't grandpa.

  "Hello?" she answered.

  "Hey, Jangmi." He greeted.

  "What's up?"

  "Do you want to go out?"

  Jangmi blushed. "Um…sure."

  "Cool. I'll come pick you up in around ten minutes."

  Jangmi instantly felt panic. Her grandpa cannot find out about Jungkook, he'd tear him to pieces. "No um…my grandpa is home. Can you please come get me a bit further down the street?"

  "Sure."

  "Great! Thank you!"

  Jangmi hung up the phone and sighed. Shed was excited about seeing Jungkook again, even if it did add to her nervousness, but now she could no longer remain in the safety of her room. She had to go out.

  She slowly opened the door and stepped out. She looked around the corridor, it was clear. There didn't appear to be any people around. She slowly walked through the corridor towards the stairs, she still felt anxious. She half expected her grandpa to jump out from behind the furniture and yell at her. She reached the bottom of the stairs and the front door was in sight. She sighed. Nobody had seen her; she can just get out and leave. All she had to do was cross the room.

  "Jangmi, where were you yesterday?"

  Jangmi froze. Oh no, no, no, no, no. She knew that voice, and it belonged to the person second on the list of people she didn't want to see right now.

  She slowly turned around. "H-hey, Namjoon."

  The boy in front of her frowned. He didn't look as angry as she had feared, but he certainly didn't look happy. He never was one to lose composure. "Where were you yesterday?" he repeated.

  Jangmi closed her eyes and sighed. There was absolutely no avoiding it now. The confrontation she had feared was going to happen and it was going to happen now.

  "Namjoon. Yesterday…I met up with a…an old friend." Jangmi didn't know if calling Jungkook and 'old friend' qualified as a lie or not, but it was the best term she could think of at the moment. "He wanted to catch up and so yeah…I went with him." Jangmi really didn't know how to break it to him. As strange as it sounds, she really didn't want to hurt him. She didn't like him, but she didn't hate him either. She'd feel bad for hurting him.

  "An old friend?" he said in a cold and hard voice. "Really?"

  Jangmi kept quiet. She didn't really know what to say.

  "Why would you go off without asking me?" he continued. "Explain to me why you didn't pick up your phone."

  Jangmi's brows furrowed a little. She hated the tone he always uses to talk to her. It felt like he was talking down to a child. She breathed in, if she was going to say what she wanted to, she was having o do it now. "Namjoon. I want to end our…our engagement."

  Namjoon was quiet for a moment before answering. "Don't be stupid."

  Jangmi felt a twinge of annoyance at how he brushed her off when she was being so serious. "I'm serious, Namjoon. I don't want to be engaged anymore. It's over." She yelled.

  "In case you've forgotten." He sneered. "Your grandfather and my father have a business deal. It's not your choice. Do you remember what will happen to your mother if you disobey?"

  Jangmi's heart sped up. "I won't let myself get blackmailed anymore; I won't keep doing what you and my grandpa say. I'll leave with my mother. I won't stay in this house."

  "And where will you go?" he hissed. "Go ask you street trash friends for help? Go live with that  bleached blond and his drunken parents? I'm certain that broke  Rayoung could lend you some cash. You can ask your punk friend how to live in the ghetto."

  Namjoon's words were like a slap in Jangmi's face and she felt a fire in her rise that she had never felt before. She was outraged. "Don't you dare talk about them like that!" she snapped. Her words rang through the room. Namjoon looked taken aback by her sudden outburst.

  "My friends are not street trash and they are not punks!" Her voice was becoming almost hysterically high. Tears were beginning to form in her eyes. "I am sick of hearing you degrade them. You do not have a single right to talk about them like that; you do not have a single right to talk about Yoongi's family. You do not have the right! Just because they aren't rich like you doesn't mean that they are lesser than you! As far as I'm concerned, they are better people than you will ever be, so don't you dare talk about them again!"

  Her voice choked and she was crying. She cursed herself, she couldn't be mad without crying, she didn't know why but her rages always spilled over into crying. She rubbed the tears away with her sleeve. She thought that he must have looked so humiliating. But she was determined not to lose her resolve. Jangmi stepped back and took in a deep breath to allow herself to calm down.

  "This is over." She finished. There was silence for a in the air.

  "She is correct."

  Both of their heads snapped towards the end of the stairs and Jangmi froze. It was the frail old figure of her grandfather, but his face was as hard as stone as it always was.

  This was the last thing she wanted right now. She didn't want to talk to her grandpa; he could only make things worse. She wiped away her tears before she realised something. Did he just agree with her?

  "What does that mean?" Namjoon asked. Jangmi wanted to ask the same question.

  The grey haired man turned to Jangmi. "You are going to date Jeon Jungkook, correct?"

  Jangmi wondered how he could know that. She was instantly suspicious, but the old man's face was hounding her for an answer. She nodded.

  "Jeon Jungkook?" Namjoon exclaimed.

  "Hi."

  All eyes turned to the front door and Jungkook was leaning against the frame, casually as if he were visiting a park. As he walked over to Jangmi, Namjoon glared at him as he walked.

  The old man turned to Namjoon. "The alliance our business has with your father has been dropped." He explained. "We have received a better offer from the Jeon's business; we are now in a partnership with this young man's father."

  Namjoon and Jangmi's mouth dropped open. She gave Jungkook a look of disbelief.

  "What!?" said Namjoon in shock. "What has my father said about this?"

  "I have just sent him word of the message and he has yet to reply, however it doesn't change the facts, young man." He replied coldly.

  Jungkook took Jangmi's hand and lightly tugged her towards the door, his eyes pleaded with her to leave the house. Jungkook was almost numb with shock and confusion but she followed him. The last she heard before the door closed was Namjoon yelling at her grandfather. She had to admit that she respected Namjoon's guts to fight with the old man.

  Jungkook led her off of the property.

  "What!?" she yelled as soon as they were outside in the street. She gestured to the house and then looked back to Jungkook.

  "I asked a favour of my dad." Jungkook explained. "He and your grandfather made a deal in exchange that you are no longer tied to Kim Namjoon's family. Your grandfather agreed."

  "You're rich!?" she exclaimed.

  "Well, I was in a private hospital for a year."

  "Yeah, but I…I didn't think you were…you were my grandpa level wealthy! And…and you-"

  "I'm sorry." He said calmly, but his tone was genuinely apologetic. "I'm sorry I went behind your back. I shouldn't have done that without telling you. It was out of my right, but I wanted to act fast before your grandfather could kick your mom out."

  Jungkook was right when he apologised. Jangmi was surprised by what he did, but what had hit her harder was the fact that everything was arranged behind her back without her knowledge. Even though things worked out positively for her, it felt like she didn't have a say in it. One of the key things that she had hated while living under her grandfather and Namjoon was the fact that every aspect of her life was controlled.

  "I'm sorry." Jungkook repeated sincerely.

  Jangmi looked into his face. She knew that he was being honest. She felt a little annoyed but she wanted to forgive him. "Well…everything turned okay for me…Grandpa will be off my back and I'm no longer engaged to Namjoon…" She paused for a moment. "O…okay."

  Jungkook sighed with relief and he smiled.

  "But don't do anything like this again." She warned.

  "I won't." he promised.

  Jangmi moved in to give him a small hug. "Thank you.