Chapter 40

Thank You for Listening

  The door to the silent white hospital room slowly opened, and a slim figure tentatively entered the room, as if unsure if they're welcome or not. It wasn't a nurse or Jungkook; it was Sewon. However, today she seemed to lack her usual confidence.

  She slowly walked towards Jangmi's bed. Her steps tapped lightly on the polished floor. She stopped by Jangmi's bedside and put her hands together nervously.

  "Hello, Jangmi." She said nervously. "I'm not sure if I'm welcome or not, since I feel kind of responsible for this…but there are some things I want to say to you."

  "I know I might just be talking to the room…but Jungkook said he was conscious the entire time in his coma, so there's a chance you are too."

  "I want to say I apologise. I still feel guilty for this. If I had explained properly to Jimin or intervened at some point, maybe he wouldn't have…pushed you."

  "I was friends with him. He was very nice in the beginning. We were in a lot of the same classes. He was friendly nice, and normal. I liked talking to him. We got along well. He helped me out a lot; he would tell me what happened in detail whenever I missed a class, he'd drive me places whenever I needed to go somewhere, helped me out in debate club, and he listened to me whenever I told him my problems. I considered him a really good friend."

  "But, at a certain point, I noticed that some things were a little off. I started noticing that that there was a difference between how he acted with me, and how he acted towards other people when I wasn't around. Remember when he bumped into you? Compare that attitude to… I don't know… Jungkook and that was how big the difference was."

  "At first I just tried ignoring it. He was my friend and it seemed like a minor issue at the time. But then it kind of got more obvious, and the evidence kept piling up. You know, I'm all about human rights. I'm a feminist, and I often talk about it. I explained it often to Jimin, and he always acted like he agreed with me, nodding his head and adding to the conversation. But then I caught him one day talking with his friends. They couldn't see me and basically I ended up eavesdropping on them. They talked about women so badly, going on about feminazi's. Basically the gist of what they were saying was that f women kept complaining about the average pay gap, they shouldn't work in the first place. And Jimin laughed and agreed with them. I was furious."

  "After that, I couldn't ignore it. He definitely acted nicer around me, and that bothered me. People don't do that unless they want something from you. And by that point I figured that he probably liked me, that theory was confirmed by some of the gossip going around school. So I tried to distance myself. I still considered him a friend at that time so I didn't make a huge confrontation, I wasn't that interested in a fight. I just tried to avoid him more often. At that point I started noticing that he was actually pushy when he offered to help me out or do something for me. I'd say no and he'd insist."

  "After that, I started noticing Jungkook, back then he was friends with Jimin and they were in the same circle of friends." Sewon's brows knotted and she looked apologetic. "You probably know already that I'm Jungkook's ex-girlfriend. I know nobody likes to hear about their boyfriend's previous relationships so please bear with me for a little while. I'll keep it short."

  "Well, Jungkook and I met up occasionally, and well, I liked him almost straight away. After a while…well, a relationship started to develop, but Jungkook wouldn't do anything or make a single move because he knew Jimin liked me."

  "After a while we still ended up becoming a couple. We liked each other. So right after that, I made a resolve to clearly tell Jimin that I wasn't interested. I was really nervous since I didn't know how to say it to him without hurting his feelings too much. I told him that I was going out with Jungkook and that I don't like him. I tried to avoid saying anything else to avoid a huge fight."

  Sewon frowned and she crossed her arms, looking out the window. "He didn't take it too well; actually he took it like . He got angrier than I've ever seen him. I didn't even know that side of him existed. He went on about how he did so much for me, and that he couldn't believe that I would do this to him. He acted like I owed him and I was scamming him out of a deal. I couldn't believe him. I don't think I was ever so shocked and disappointed in my life. He swore at me and called me a ."

  "I was shocked. I expected him to be upset, but I didn't think that he's break off our entire relationship. All he wanted from me was a date. I had never felt so betrayed. I felt like I was used. Like somehow, just because a guy was nice to me, he became entitled to a relationship. All he did was do what a normal good friend would do; I don't know how some people would expect that that somehow means the other person should immediately date them." Sewon looked to the ground. "Looking back, I should have told him all of this. The last words he said to me in the fight were all blaming Jungkook, saying how he stole me. I f I had made it clear that I didn't like him, then maybe he wouldn't have gotten the idea that it was Jungkook's fault, and you wouldn't be in hospital. But back then I just kept it to myself. I was too angry to talk to him."

  "The very next day after that blow out, he came up to me and acted all apologetic, saying he was just moody, and that he wanted us to make up. I would have been happy to if he hadn't made his motives very clear from the fight. And he wasn't really apologetic. He apologised in that happy charming way a stranger would apologise for spiling your coffee. He blamed all of his actions on him being moody and overall he acted like he did nothing wrong. He just apologised to get back in my good book."

  "Naturally by then I realised what kind of guy he was and I didn't accept the apology. He immediately muttered "" under his breath when I said that. Right after that he had a huge fight with Jungkook, I don't know what exactly was said because I wasn't there, but right after it, they were no longer friends. I felt bad because Jungkook lost a friend because of me, but he just smiled and told me that it was fine. They pretty much stopped talking after that."

  "I do know that he blamed Jungkook after that. He thought of Jungkook as an enemy even though Jungkook wasn't. He insulted him at every opportunity. I never did a thing because I didn't want to be involved with him anymore. After Jungkook was hospitalised, Jimin was going on about how he deserved it. I just flat out avoided him after that."

  "I'm ashamed to admit that I started dating other people. I regret that I did, but at the time everybody said that Jungkook was going to die, so I gave up. I couldn't stand seeing him in hospital since it was just a constant reminder of that. Jimin didn't know about me dating because I avoided him like the plague and I dated people outside the school. I should have told him so that he wouldn't have thought that it was just Jungkook's fault that I didn't date him."

  "Well, after Jungkook got out of the hospital, you know what happened. He no longer liked me; he was in love with you, the mysterious hospital girl. So I got dumped. My dating other people wasn't well known around the school, but my getting dump sure circulated faster than fountain water. Mostly because I was crying a lot and my friends got wind of this. Obviously Jimin heard the news, and I think that it just added fuel to his fire. At that point I don't think he cared about me anymore, he just hated Jungkook. I think he got the idea that Jungkook just stole me for s and giggles and just casually dumped me later because he was bored."

  Sewon sighed and looked at Jangmi's sleeping face. "I'm sorry. There were so many opportunities for me to intervene, but I didn't. I thought if I just left it alone it'd disappear. I feel so guilty because this whole problem centred on me. I never wanted this to happen."

  "I'm sorry, but that's not the only thing I wanted to say. I finally confronted Jimin today with everything I wanted to say. He listened surprisingly well. I don't really know what Taehyung did to him, but he acted way more polite and jittery than usual of his character. I'd hate to admit it but whatever Taehyung did worked in teaching him a lesson. And Jimin apologised, to me and you. He tried to defend himself. He said he didn't mean to push you. He was angry, but putting you in hospital was never his intention. He didn't even want to do it you. He said it was an accident and he pushed you out of reflex since you apparently kicked him. He didn't realise that you two were so close to the stairs."

  Sewon frowned. "I don't know how much of that was true, but he did seem regretful and apologetic. I just wanted to pass on the message. You can do with it what you like."

  "Well, that concludes what I wanted to say. I'm sorry, and Jimin may or may not be sorry depending on the truthfulness of his version of events. Please don't hate me for any of this. And when you wake up, I hope we can be friends."

 

[A/N: We threw you a curveball didn't we? ;) Sewon is not your typical y ex-girlfriend! Tomato hates that stereotype so she decided to mess with y'all ;)]