Chapter 3

Thank You for Listening

  The girl entered the room with a fresh bouquet of flowers in hand, this time the arrangement was made up of orange roses, yellow chrysanthemums, pink roses, and white carnations. "Hey Jungkook. Surprised to see me again?" she asked, slightly embarrassed.

  It had been a week since she last visited. She saw the same white roses sitting in the vase that she had left last time. They had been left untouched. The water was starting to get dirty and the roses were showing age. She took out the dying roses and began replacing them with the fresh bouquet.

  "You're probably wondering why I keep coming back." She began. "To be honest, I wanted last week to be the last time I come here. I keep intruding on you. I didn't want to bother you any longer…but I'm sorry." She looked genuinely apologetic. "Some things have been happening and I felt drawn back here. I really apologise for burdening you…but I feel really peaceful here."

  She sat down beside him. "I managed to convince my grandpa to let me keep my last name. Boy, he wasn't happy about it though. We had a huge argument. You should have heard him."

  She cleared and began a bad mimic of her grandfather's voice. "You should be proud to take on the name! We have a history of status and reputation; instead you choose to take the name of your harlot mother! The little uneducated tramp!"

  She laughed, but her laughter covered her pain. "He made such a big deal of it." She didn't want to bring the topic of how he addressed her mother. It would only make her angry again.

  She sighed. Her tine was lowering it from its light-hearted high. "Well, since I wouldn't change my name, he's been tightening his grip. Now he's trying to get me to do all this stuff all of a sudden." She looked at Jungkook. "He now wants me to transfer from my public school to some really pricey private school."

  She looked sad. "I really don't want to. I have really good friends in my school. I've known some of them since elementary school. I don't want to leave them for another school. And I've heard the reputation of the private school. Apparently everyone says they're really snobby."

  "I already got out of changing my name; I don't know how I'll get away with not going to that school. If I say no, grandpa will probably be furious. He's angry enough already that I didn't change my name." she sighed. "I really want to talk to my friends about it…but…I can't do it. One of my friend's parents is getting divorced, and my other friend also has some family troubles. I can't bring myself to burden them when they also have problems of their own. I don't want to put a damper on their lives."

  "My friends with the family troubles finally started to stabilize his life. He's pretty happy now; I don't want to ruin it with my problems." She gave a sad smile. "I guess that's why I keep coming here to talk to you. Again I'm sorry if you can hear me."

  She leaned back in the seat and looked up at the white ceiling. "I lied again to get in here. The nurse caught me, a different one this time. I told her that I was your girlfriend. I'm really sorry. You must think I'm a really horrible person. But I made one lie and I decided to go with it. I'm sorry." She looked back down from the ceiling. "You probably think I apologise too much. Other people have said it's annoying before. Sorry; I can't help it."

  She looked over at the colourful bouquet sitting on the window sill. "I would be nice if you can see the flowers I brought. I arranged it myself this time, and if I have to say, I'm a bit proud of it. I think I wold be able to take over the business…but…it really is struggling." She rubbed her neck. "I don't know if I can keep bring you flowers. At this rate it's getting harder to afford."

  She looked back over at Jungkook. "I talked to the nurse and she told me that you got like this in a motorcycle crash. I wonder what happened. It must have been painful. She also told me that you don't really get visits. I'm the only one that comes. I wonder where your family is?"

  "…I'm really sorry. I think I just got a bit too personal. I hope you couldn't hear me. I have no right to be prying. If you wake up you can hit me." 

  She looked over at Jungkook. "It's been over a month already. I really hope you'll wake up soon. There's a lot waiting for you in this world. You would probably be able to go back to sports. The nurse told me that your body is perfectly healthy, your stats are fine. You just need to wake up."

  She glanced over to the door. "I think I hear footsteps. Probably another nurse." She stood up from the seat. "I should probably go now; I don't want to lie for a third time." She walked up to the door. "

  "Again, thank you for listening, and I hope you'll wake up soon!"