Chapter 30

Thank You for Listening

  Jangmi poked her head through the school gates, trying to see if there were any people around. Some passers-by gave her strange looks wondering what she was doing, but she was too busy to notice. After last week's incident, she was by far much more wary of stepping foot into the grounds. She didn't like being the centre of attention, and she liked much less being the centre of attention for her love life. The nickname 'hospital girl' seemed to be what everybody knows her as now. She internally groaned. She felt like she was back in the hospital again getting attention from love story hungry nurses. At least 'hospital girl' was less embarrassing than 'loyal coma girlfriend'.

  Visiting Jungkook's school was becoming a hazard. And then there was the added risk of bumping into Sewon. Jangmi very much liked her but seeing her right now would be extremely awkward. She looked around and decided she would go around the school and enter from the back. She followed along the brick wall enclosing the school, sliding her hand against the rough and grainy surface as she walked. Soon the red brick disappeared and was replaced with the cold black metal bars of a fence. She found an open gate and she walked through. She found herself in what appeared to be the sports field part of the school.

  To her right was a huge grassy field, soccer goal posts sticking out from two ends of half the field. To her left was a high fenced tennis court, a hole can be seen cut in the wires, and right in front of her, she could see a basketball court. She could hear the dull hollow thumps of a ball bouncing off the black concrete.

  She looked ahead and she saw three figures dribbling basketballs. Among them she recognised the honey brown hair of Jungkook.

  "Jungkook?"

  Jungkook's face turned towards her and brightened with recognition. He bounced the ball one last time and caught it in his arms before jogging over. "Hey Jangmi!"

  "Hi Jangmi." Hoseok greeted with a smile as he followed behind Jungkook.

  Jangmi waved hello and looked over Hoseok's shoulder. For a moment she thought the third person might be Taehyung because the three of them were usually seen together, but the guy behind them who was intently focused on trying to aim the ball towards the hoop wasn't anyone she knew. She turned back to Hoseok and Jungkook. "You two look like you're having fun."

  "Well, when Jungkook isn't the life out of it." Hoseok laughed.

  Jangmi's head titled to the side as if asking "What do you mean?"

  "We're competing with some other schools starting next week and this guy is all the fun out of it trying to get everything perfect."

  "That's the point of practice, Hoseok." Jungkook retorted. "I really don't want to lose. If you've forgotten, Anyang's on the list of teams we're competing with, and I do not want to lose to Namjoon."

  Hoseok mock groaned. "Ugh, that will never let it go if that ever happened."

  Jangmi giggled. It was true. Namjoon tended to hold grudges, and he acted upon them stubbornly like a child.

  Hoseok turned to Jangmi and grinned. "So, are you going to be there to cheer for your boyfriend here?"

  Jangmi thought about it for a brief moment. She had never in her life been to a sports game of any kind before. She never really liked sports, but if Jungkook was playing, then of course she would come to give her support. "Yeah I'll go. When is it?"

  "Next week Thursday." Hoseok answered. "I'll text you the details." He bent down and whispered into her ears. "And can you bring Sera with you too?"

  Jungkook lightly shoved Hoseok aside with enough force to knock him away from Jangmi. "Yah, what was that?" he frowned.

  Jangmi ignored Jungkook and nodded to Hoseok.

  "Great!" he grinned. Jungkook shot him suspicious looks but Hoseok pretended he didn't exist.

  "Is Taehyung going to be a part of this too?" Jangmi asked. "I can tell Rayoung about it."

  Jungkook shook his head. "Nah, team sports isn't his thing. He doesn't listen to directions well and he doesn't do teamwork with people he doesn't like."

  "You should see that in single sports though man." Said Hoseok. "He totally creamed all of us on sports day. I didn't even know he was athletic; he acted like he and then made bets with all the guys. I lost thirty bucks."

  "You kind of deserved that." Jungkook added. "What kind of bets that his friend is going to lose? And also, I can't believe you fell for it. You met him before I did."

  "If you knew then why didn't you tell me?"

  "I didn't want to get involved, and I didn't think you were dumb enough to fall for it." Jungkook answered bluntly.

  Hoseok aimed a kick at Jungkook's legs but he swiftly stepped sideways out of the way.

  Jangmi giggled.

  Jungkook turned to Jangmi once again. "So, yeah, it would be great if you can come."

  "I will." She smiled.

  "Loyal coma girlfriend~" Hoseok stage whispered dramatically.

  Jangmi grew red. She thought she had heard the last of the embarrassing nickname.

  Jungkook made an irked expression. "Remind me to stop telling you anything about anything."

  Hoseok laughed.