Chapter 12

Thank You for Listening

  "…Hey. It's me again."

  The girl held a bouquet in her arms, but for the first time since she started this routine; she didn't take it to the window sill. Instead she quietly held it in her hands, the wrapping crinkling as she moved, and she sat down in the seat by the bedside. The chair was a bit further away from the bed than usual, but she didn't bother to pull it closer.

  "So…" she began in a cheery tone, but there was an air of awkwardness in the room. "It's almost a year since I first started visiting you. Sorry for always bothering you…" The girl looked around the room, "I've told you so much in that time…but you know what's funny? I never told you about the very basic stuff that everybody asks when first meeting. You know, like your favourite colour, favourite food, future dreams…" She turned to him and grinned. "Well, it doesn't feel right that I never talked about any of that stuff, so here goes."

  She cleared . "My favourite colour is sky blue. I used to like it because I just thought that it looked pretty, but now it's starting to relate to freedom…My least favourite colour is electric pink. Its way to flashy and it's uncomfortable to look at for too long."

  "My favourite food is mint chocolate ice cream, or anything mint chocolate. I think it's like the best food combination. I love sweets but I don't really have the stomach for it. I mean, I like eating it, but I find it pretty rich, so I start feeling sick really quickly. It's a problem because I always buy the sweetest dessert at a restaurant but I can never finish it." She giggled. "Oh, and I don't like the taste of wasabi. I just hate it. I can stand chilli, but not wasabi chilli."

  "I never really had any plans for what I want to be in future. But I looked at the university courses available and something to do with animation caught my interest, so I guess that's the dream for the moment. It used to be that I thought of floristry as the back-up just in case I fail plan…but that's not happening anymore."

  Silence filled the room, interrupted only by beeping equipment. When she started talking again, her tone was melancholy. "Hey, do you know? I met up with my grandpa and the guy's dad the other day."

  The girl took a deep breath, as if bracing herself to say what she wanted to say. "My grandpa…my grandpa…" tears formed in her eyes, and she was trying so hard not to let them spill out. "My grandpa said that I have to date that guy. No, not just date, as far as they're concerned, we're engaged to be married."

  "I-I got so angry…I screamed and yelled, but you know what grandpa told me?" She was trying not to let her voice quiver. "He said…that if I don't agree with this…he'll kick mom onto the streets. He'll cut off all contact. If he does, my mom will be all alone, she won't have a house, she won't have any money. It would be hard for her to find a job because she didn't even finish high school. She left in the tenth grade…"

  Her voice was starting to break. "If I don't do this, my mom might end up homeless, and I'll never see her again. My grandpa will have custody because he can afford lawyers, and he's got money, shelter and status unlike my mom…"

  Tears poured down her face and dripped down her neck. "I have to agree with this. It turns out that the guy's dad is just like my grandpa…He wants this to happen too. He and I are officially dating now…"

  She wiped her tears away with her sleeve while she shook her head. "I don't want to do this, I d-don't…" she cried. "I don't like him, I couldn't tell on the first date, but he's incredibly arrogant, and he has like this superiority complex like my grandpa…he thinks those less educated or poorer than him are a lower breed than him…and he treats my friends so rudely."

  She sniffed. "He comes to my school to pick me up, and if my friends object, he insults them and treats them like trash. He made comments of my blond friend's family situation to his face. I-I don't know how he knew, I never told him, but I can't believe he did that to him."

  "I can't even stop him anymore…my friends are so angry…my blond friend nearly punched him in public, but I stopped him…"

  "He doesn't care that I don't want this he treats me like property. Everybody already knows me as his girlfriend, and some people now start giving me dirty looks, especially some of the girls from his school…"

  The girl forced back her tears and forced a bright smile. "You know…when I first started coming here, one of the nurses told me that you weren't given a very long time to live. The accident was that bad. Some of them believed that you'd die in your coma within a few months…"

  The girl grinned; her cheeks were slightly red and still wet with tears. "Now look at you. It's only a few weeks until it will be a full year since I first came here. This means you've been alive for over a year. The doctor told me you're now showing signs of waking up. He guessed that it's only a short while until you open your eyes. I'm so happy for you."

  She rubbed her tears away with the back of her hand and stood up, taking the bouquet with her. She walked over to the window sill and began methodically replacing the old flowers with the new ones. "I got you a similar arrangement to the second one I ever gave you. It's got orange roses, yellow chrysanthemums, pink roses, and white carnations." She placed the flowers in one by one. "This is probably the last time I can give you these. My b-b-boyfriend…" she forced the word out of . "Is always with me, and my grandpa is being discharged today…" Her voice drifted off into silence.

  "…I won't be visiting anymore…"

  She turned around, her skirt twirled with her movement. She walked over to his bedside and leaned over him.

  "You know, when I first came here, you were quite tanned. Now you're almost as pale as me. You've gotten skinnier too." She smiled and she reached out and rested her hand on his forehead. "But you still look as good as when I first saw you."

  Tears were forming in her eyes again. No, she promised herself that she wasn't going to leave crying. She willed herself not to cry, but it had no effect. "You know, I've said so much to you, but I don't even know if you've heard any of it. I don't know what kind of person you are, although I'm fairly certain we don't have much in common, and I don't really know anything about you except your name…but I've always felt so comfortable talking to you…" her voice dropped low until it was almost a whisper. "I'd much rather prefer you than…"

  She shook her head. "I hope you wake up soon. I hope that the first thing you see is the sunset outside you window. I hope that when you're awake, you can go back to all the things you used to do. I hope that you'll return to your full health quickly. I hope that everything after this for you will be happy."

  "Thank you, Jungkook. Thank you for putting up with me for a year, and thank you for never kicking me out."

  The girl looked at her hand resting on his forehead. It was the closest amount of contact they had ever had. She felt an impulse pass by her mind. Although she thought that it was inappropriate, she had first started this strange relationship on an impulse, and she might as well end this relationship on an impulse.

  She slowly slid her hand up over his head, gently pushing his honey brown hair out of his face, leaving his forehead exposed. She lowered her head to his forehead, stopping only centimetres above his skin, before giving him a soft, chaste kiss, barely lasting a second, and then pulling away. She took her bag and walked slowly to the door. She rested her hand on the door knob, and, for one last time before turning it, she turned around to look at the boy peacefully sleeping on the bed.

"Goodbye, Jungkook…goodbye and thank you for listening."

 

[A/N: Eeeeep! She's leaving?! Oh no! What will happen next? ;)]