Chapter 39

Thank You for Listening

  "Hi Jangmi." Jungkook greeted. In his hands he held a bouquet of roses, lilies, and carnations, all in a pastel pink colour scheme. Jungkook felt a bit awkward carrying it. The bouquet was put together pretty elaborately, spear grass arranged in artful loops around the flowers, and white beads decorated the flowers.

  He walked over to the window and began unwrapping the bouquet. "I got you some flowers. I asked for extra roses. I figured it was my turn to do this for you." He placed the bouquet into the vase, having some difficulty as he found that some of the stems stuck out and wouldn't fit through the mouth of the vase. "I got these from a floristry in Gangnam. They kind of took it upon themselves to overdo it. It looks really nice but it attracts a lot of attention. A lot of people stared at it when I bought it in. I bet you Na Yeon would never let me hear the end of it when she sees it."

  After finally fitting the flowers into the vase, he crumpled up the wrapping paper, threw it in the trash, and sat down in the bedside seat. "Hey, I remember one of the first things you asked me when I was in the coma. You asked me about my family. This brings me to the topic of my parents. Yeah, I've never really talked about them, and you've never seen them before. Well, that's because they're never around. Actually, I don't think I've seen my parents in person in about two years. I think they may have come around last year, but I missed them, because you know, I was in a coma."

  "You know my family is well…well off. My dad's very business oriented. He's always working, so he's always overseas. He's actually pretty nomadic, mostly living in hotels. He only comes back to his "Home" maybe once or twice a year, and the stay is really short. Like a week or two. Phone calls are pretty rare. He doesn't really call unless there's something he needs to tell me, or the obligatory birthday and Chuseok calls. I don't really call him either unless I want something, which is pretty rare. The favour I asked of him last time was pretty huge, the biggest I ever asked for to be honest. He didn't reject it probably because he thinks that he should at least do this much to make up for the lack of parenting."

  Jungkook sighed again. "And then there's my mom. She's very pretty and has a very good social life. She divorced my dad when I was six. It wasn't that big of a change for me since I rarely ever saw my parents together even when they were legally married."

  "Most people wouldn't judge her very well. In fact, to most other people, she would be what others would label a gold digger or trophy wife. Since she divorced my dad, she married three more times. It was really surprising because in one year, I got news that she married one guy, and then eight months later, I get news that she married another. That one marriage didn't even last one year. The one thing I'm scared to ask my mom is how old her husbands are."

  "Everybody has heard of her type, very beautiful and charming, but pretty shallow and cares too much about her public image. She has a taste for anything expensive. She doesn't really do anything to earn these things for herself, so she just relies on wealthy guys to get what she wants. She feels entitled to that. I haven't seen her much since the divorce. She now lives in the United States with her fourth husband. She's not much of a mother. She basically left all the parenting to hire helpers. She gives really good presents though. One birthday I woke up to find a motorbike in the driveway, huge happy birthday sign and everything. I wasn't even the legal age to drive yet."

  "I would say I'm an only child since I was raised like an only child and I don't have a single sibling relationship, but I think I have about…" Jungkook had to think about that for a moment, tapping his finger on his hand as he tried to remember. "Three? …Yeah, three half siblings from my mom. They live with her in America…I think. I know they're in America, but I don't know any of the details about custody or whatever, for all I know, some of the dads may have custody. I know the oldest one is a girl who I think is seven now. I've talked to her once over the phone when she was a toddler. I haven't spoken to the others not even once. But once I received a birthday card from my mom with some childish signatures along with my mom's that I guess are from them since whom else could they be from?"

  "So yeah, I was basically raised by a nanny until I was about thirteen. She's retired now and living in Busan. I get regular calls from her though, about once a week. She actually flew over back here when I got into that coma to visit me in hospital." Jungkook broke into a smile. "When I called her from the hospital when I woke up, I think she nearly had a heart attack on the other end of the phone. I'm pretty certain she thought I was going to die. She's pretty religious so she was praising God for saving me."

  "Yeah, so I never really had any parents in my life. But…I don't hate them. I know I made my mom sound pretty bad when I described her, but I don't hate her. She's still my mom. She was never nasty or mean to me. From what I can remember, she was a pretty doting mom, just in the material sense though; the actual raising was done by servants. I liked seeing her happy and I really wanted her attention as a child. I don't really blame her for the things she's done, even though most other people would agree that I should, it's just the way my mom is. She calls way more often than my dad does, although every time she's trying to offer me some overly priced gift."

  "It seems that the husband she's on right now is lasting, so things are going well for her. I'm happy with that. With my dad, I've just grown to accept that he's just the way he is. He's not a bad person."

  "So that's my family. My grandparents aren't in the picture. On my dad's side my grandpa is dead and my grandma's got dementia so bad she can't remember anything except how to knit and milk a cow. She lives in an elderly care facility. I'm not sure about my mom's side; either they're dead or my mom just never bothered to maintain contact. I've got an uncle from my dad's side and some cousins, but we keep our families separate unless it's for a funeral or a wedding."

  Jungkook breathed out a sigh of relief, finally finished with his long family history. "So yeah. That's my family. I know it's a pretty long explanation, and my family life isn't really that pretty. But, hey, thanks for listening."