Chapter 23

Thank You for Listening

  She couldn't believe it. She couldn't, it can't possibly be true, absolutely not. This can't be real right now. She had thought that she'd never be able see him again. She shouldn't be seeing him again. She must be hallucinating, like when person wants something bad enough, sometimes they start seeing it everywhere.

  But there he was, holding onto her wrist, breathing heavily and slightly bent over as if he had been running. Maybe it was a different person and he just happened to look like Jungkook, he did look a bit different after all. But then again, the last time she had seen him, he was lying in a hospital bed several months ago; if it was him then of course he'd look different.

  The guy before her wore a dark grey short sleeved button up shirt and blue jeans. He had a lot more colour in his skin. It still wasn't as tan as it was the first time she saw him, but it was the colour it was around the midway point of the year she had been visiting.

  He wasn't skinny anymore. Instead he looked fit. She could see strong wiry muscles in his arm and a slim body that could only mean the same muscles were beneath his shirt.

  He had the same honey brown hair that she remembered; only it wasn't that shoulder length anymore. It was cut in a style that could still be considered long for a boy, just below his jawline. His naturally wavy hair made his hair appeared tussled. It was cut with bangs that framed his eyes, and his eyes, which she had imagined so many times in her dreams, were unlike anything she had ever expected. They were a beautiful brown that leaned towards grey. His eyes looked straight into hers.

  "…Jungkook." She breathed again, slightly louder, as if trying to confirm if it was him.

  Jungkook could have sighed with relief. It had been so long since he had heard her call his name. Her voice sounded the same as he remembered; a bit low in tone but soft and soothing.

  He took a good look at the girl that stood before him. He could see what Nurse Na Yeon had been talking about when she described her. She was small, not literally short or tiny, but she had a shy demeanour that gave other people the impression that she was small and delicate.

  She wore a coral pink t-shirt dress, over it she wore a white short sleeved button up shirt that was buttoned halfway from the bottom.

  Her hair was no longer shoulder length like Na Yeon had described, in the months that were between them, her hair had grown long, reaching just to her slim waist. She kept it loose, there was nothing decorating her hair, allowing it to fall into her face.

  She had dark brown eyes and her face was clean and nice. Jungkook didn't understand what she was talking about when she talked about herself several months ago in such a self-depreciating way. He thought she was pretty. She had been right when she said she wasn't flashy, but she had a gentle face that was nice in a natural way; it was pleasant to look at.

  After such a long time, he finally had a face to go with the voice, and he was pleasantly surprised. It was amazing how much this new knowledge completed the whole picture, like the final piece to the puzzle. He felt elated.

  He stood up properly and smiled. "I finally found you."

  The girl's heart fluttered and tears began to form in her eyes, threatening to spill over. She covered with her hands, muffling a quivering "Oh my god..."

  He placed his hand on her shoulder and he just smiled, as if assuring her that he was there, he was real.

  "What is this?"

  A girl's voice snapped both of them out of their moment, and beside them he could see a girl wearing an orange t-shirt and navy blue jeans. Her hair was pulled back in a lazy ponytail and she wore rectangular black framed glasses. Jungkook could see that behind her glasses she had a very pretty face and brown eyes. He recognised from the girl's description of her that this must be her 'female friend'.

  "Who's this?" she asked, glaring at him. She turned to the girl. "Are you crying? Is this guy bothering you?"

  The second girl looked like she was ready to kick Jungkook's but the girl grabbed her sleeve and pulled her back.

  "No, no…he's not..." she said with a trembling voice through her tears. "Rayoung, he didn't do anything, it…it's him…"

  Rayoung made a face of confusion, wondering what she was talking about, until realisation hit her. "Oh my god, you mean, you mean this guys is…!"

  The girl nodded.

  Rayoung stood beside the girl and stared at Jungkook in shock.

  Jungkook felt awkward at being gawked at. "Hello Rayoung. I'm Jeon Jungkook." He introduced himself, trying to break the awkward air.

  Rayoung nodded, still staring at him dumbly. "H-hi. I'm Ha Rayoung…"

  "Hey!" a male voice called out.

  Rayoung looked over behind them and made a face of distaste. ", it's your fiancé."

  The girl made a pained face.

  "Why couldn't he have taken longer to get the drinks…" Rayoung said in a disgusted voice.

  Jungkook looked over to where the girls were staring at, and he saw a black haired teenage boy coming over to them with two drinks in his hands. The guy had neat and tidy short hair parted on the left side. He was tall and had a face that Jungkook recognised.

  "You're engaged to Kim Namjoon?!" he exclaimed.

  "You know him?" Rayoung asked him.

  Jungkook nodded. He couldn't believe that Namjoon was the arranged fiancé that the girl had been talking about, even though he fitted perfectly with everything she had told him. He had met the guy a couple of times. Namjoon was a student of Anyang High School; they competed with Jungkook's school sometimes. He had seen this guy debate before when he attended Sewon's debate club. He had also competed with Namjoon when their schools played soccer. The guy was a prick, well the whole team had been, their school was kind of known for that, but Kim Namjoon was the freaking cactus.

  "Damn, why did he have to come now, at such an important moment!" Rayoung hissed.

  The girl shuffled about uncomfortably, there were still tears in her eyes and she glanced back nervously at Jungkook.

  Namjoon came closer, and he looked at them with disapproving confusion. The girl edged behind Rayoung and Jungkook, she looked worried.

  "Oh god, how am I going to explain this to him…" she said nervously. She knew whatever she said, Namjoon would react badly. She really didn't want this to happen; she really didn't, not in front of Jungkook.

  Jungkook noticed her discomfort. "Why don't we just leave?"

  The girl looked at him wide eyed. "Huh?"

  Namjoon came nearer. "Who are you-?"

  Jungkook took her wrist again and turned to Rayoung. "Mind if I borrow her for a moment?" he grinned.

  Rayoung looked confused, but seeing Namjoon come nearer, she nodded.

  Jungkook pulled the girl away and began running, dragging her behind him. The girl looked surprised but she made no objection, she followed him at the best of her ability as she ran slower than him. The two soon disappeared into the ocean of people, and behind them they could hear the voice of Kim Namjoon yelling "Where are you going?!"

  The two manoeuvred though the crowd, adrenaline was pumping through their veins. They ran with no real direction in mind, just running as far as way from Namjoon as they could. The girl kept glancing back to check of he was following them. The idea that he might catch up to them made her heart beat rapidly. She never thought she could ever be capable of doing this; Namjoon was very controlling of her but she never had the courage to go against him. But now she was literally running away from him with a guy he didn't know.

  She held on tight to Jungkook's hand. She couldn't believe this was happening. Even though she still didn't know that much about him, he felt so reliable. She felt safe with him.

  The two ran until Jungkook was certain that Namjoon wouldn't be able to find them. They moved off into the corner in between a solid wall and a food stall. Jungkook leaned against the wall to catch his breath, and the girl did the same. She leaned with her hand on the wall, bent over with her other hand on her knee and panting. Suddenly the girl burst into laughter and he joined her.

  "Did you see his face?" he laughed.

  The girl nodded, wiping away a tear, this time from laughter. She finally released all the adrenaline induced excitement and tension from their run. She remembered Namjoon's face clearly, as well as him calling out behind them. She can't believe she just did that, it was insane, but she felt unbelievably relieved. She was free from him. Even if there were consequences for what they did later, right now she was relishing in defying Namjoon and her grandpa. It felt good and she couldn't have done it without Jungkook.

  The girl's face flushed red. She suddenly remembered who she was with. She looked at Jungkook nervously. He was tucking some of his hair behind his ear. She became aware how good looking he was. He was far taller than she thought he was, she wasn't able to tell when he was in the hospital bed, but he towered above her.

  She saw that his eyes seemed to look more grey than it did brown now. She guessed that his eyes changed colour depending on the light he was in.

  Suddenly she started to feel incredibly self-conscious. She wished she had done something with her hair instead of just letting it loose and allowing it to fall over her face. Namjoon had told her to dress up when she goes out, but she purposely did it in a half assed way just to spite him, but now she was regretting it.

  Even though she had talked to him so easily in the hospital, she suddenly felt anxious. What if her appearance was a disappointment to him? What if he thought she was weird?

  "Wow, I can't believe you're actually engaged to Kim Namjoon." Jungkook said, not noticing the girl's nervousness.

  "U-uh yeah…" she replied in a soft voice.

  "You know, I played soccer with that guy before." Jungkook continued. He flashed the girl a grin. "You know what he did?"

  "W-what?"

  "When he lost to my school, he tried to blame it on our soccer field, and I quote, "Because this cheap school uses cheap fields.""

  The girl couldn't help but laugh. That sounded so much like Namjoon. She could just picture it.

  A phone ring interrupted them. The girl pulled out her phone from her handbag and grimaced at the name that showed up on her phone screen. Namjoon was calling her. She started to panic. She didn't know what to tell him. She really didn't want to take the phone call.

  The phone was pulled away from her hand. The girl looked up to see Jungkook had her phone. "What are you-?"

  Jungkook put her phone on silent before handing it back to her. "I'm sure you don't want to deal with him right now." He grinned.

  The girl started laughing again. "Oh my god, there's going to be hell to pay when I get home though."

  "Is your grandpa still…?"

  The laugh died down and she shook her head. "He's worse than ever."

  "How's your mother?" Jungkook asked.

  "She's doing alright. A bit worse than the last time I told you about her, but she's okay right now." The girl gave a melancholy smile. "She blames herself that I'm...in my situation. She thinks it's her fault."

  Jungkook rested his hand on her shoulder in a comforting way. He wasn't really sure what to say to her, but just this little gesture made the girl feel so much better.

  The girl mock groaned but she chuckled in a pained way. "I guess I still have to go back and deal with Namjoon sooner or later…"

  "Were you guys here on a date?" Jungkook asked.

  "Sort of I guess…really I just wanted to come here with my friends, but Namjoon insisted on coming because he said he's supposed to as my boyfriend. My friends weren't too happy about it though- they hate him. You can probably guess by Rayoung's reaction to him. Namjoon shooed away Yoongi and Seokjin, oh yeah, Yoongi is the 'blond' friend and Seokjin is my other male friend. They agreed to meet up with us later because they couldn't deal with Namjoon. He wanted Rayoung to leave too, but she wouldn't budge. She doesn't like it when he's left alone with me."

  After she finished talking, she realised just how much she had just told him. She couldn't believe herself, but she felt so comfortable talking to Jungkook. It all just came out.

  "Rayoung's a good friend." Jungkook smiled.

  The girl smiled back. "Yeah. She's becoming more gutsy and loud recently since Namjoon came along. She's rarely ever quiet anymore. She spends most of her time fighting with him."

  Jungkook paused for a moment. "Do you really want to go back to him?" 

  The girl looked down at her feet. "…no."

  "Then don't."

  "Huh?" the girl said in surprise, looking up at Jungkook.

  Suddenly she felt something soft on her lips. Her eyes grew wide and her heart beat rose. Jungkook was kissing her. It wasn't rough or hard, just a soft gentle kiss lasting only a second. It wasn't like anything she had ever felt before. It felt wonderful.

  Jungkook pulled back and she flushed pink, touching her fingers to her lips. He smiled at her. "Go with me instead."

  If it were possible, she grew even redder. She could barely comprehend what he just told her.

  "B-b-but-" she stuttered, trying to form words.

  He grinned at her, his face was close to hers, making her stuttering even worse. "I don't see why not, we were dating for a whole year after all."

  The girl's mouth dropped open and she flushed completely red. She couldn't believe he remembered that. She felt so embarrassed. "D-don't you have a-a g-girlfriend?"

  "Nope." He answered.

  "H-how? You're good looking." As soon as those words came out of , she instantly regretted it. She covered with her hands. There was no possible way she could make even more of an embarrassment of herself now, she had done it all.

  Jungkook laughed. "Well I'm pretty flattered to here you say that, but no, I don't have a girlfriend. I have an ex-girlfriend, but I don't have a girlfriend."

  The girl looked almost incoherent at this point.

  Jungkook suddenly remembered something important. "Hey, what's your name?" he asked. It had felt so natural talking to her that he forgot to ask her for her name.

  "J-Jang Mi. Im Jang Mi." She stuttered.

  Jang Mi. Jungkook could have hit himself right there, it seemed so obvious now. Every time she had come to visit him, she brought roses. It was the one flower that never changed without fail. He had figured that they were important to her or they were her favourite flower, but he never guessed that it was her name. He'd have to kick himself for that later; right now Jang Mi was his main focus.

  "T-this can't be r-real, I must be dreaming." She whispered, tears in her eyes. She couldn't believe this, it can't possibly be real. It was too good to be true. Even if she knew it was stupid and weird, and even downright embarrassing, she had liked Jungkook even if she didn't know much about him. She had been dreaming of this, but it had always been just a fantasy. She couldn't believe that it was true.

  "It's not a dream." He assured. He looked into her dark brown eyes. "So what do you say? Do you have any objections?"

  Jang Mi shook her head, but she started smiling. "There are a lot of things that are a problem but…" she blushed and took a deep breath. "Y-yes." She nodded.

  Jungkook grinned. "Then that makes you officially my girlfriend."

  Jang Mi smiled bashfully, still blushing red. She nervously stood up on her toes, Jungkook leaned in to close the gap between them, and they kissed again.