Chapter 16

Thank You for Listening

  "No, sorry. We only ever had one florist shop here, and it's been here for years."

  Jungkook sighed, looks like this place is now crossed off the list too. He looked at the young worker behind the news agency cashier counter. "Do you know of any florist shops that closed down around here?"

  The girl shook her head. "Sorry, the flower shop here is the only one I know. I haven't heard of any other. Sorry I can't be of more help."

  "Don't worry about it." He said. "Thank you for telling me what you know."

  Jungkook walked out of the news agency. Just outside he spotted a bench in the middle of the path. He sat down and sighed. This was the last dead end in a series of countless dead ends. He had been searching for the girl for months, but with limited details, it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. He had chosen the method of picking a start and just going outward from there, but it was a very long process of elimination, and although Jungkook had no intention to give up, the search was wearing in him. He was tired.

  Something icy cold and wet on his cheeks snapped him out of his thoughts. He jerked his head to the side and saw a cold can of Coke with beads of water dripping down the sides by his head.

  "Another bust?" Hoseok asked, although he knew the answer already.

  "Yeah."

  Hoseok nodded understandingly. He handed over to Jungkook the drink.

  "I told you I didn't want anything." Said Jungkook.

  "I know." Hoseok smiled. "But I figured you'd need something sweet to eat after another bust."

  "Thanks."

  Taehyung was balancing two cups in his hands and three bags of food. He picked up the bag on his arm and tossed it into Jungkook's lap. "Here, I'm getting pretty sick of carrying your food."

  "Thanks, Tae."

  Taehyung and Hoseok sat down beside Jungkook on the bench and began eating their food. Jungkook opened up the paper bag to find that they had gotten him a sandwich. While he wasn't feeling hungry when he first came here, he certainly was now. He picked up the sandwich and eagerly took a bite.

  "So what are we going to do now?" Hoseok asked.

  Jungkook swallowed and then answered. "Go look in another shopping centre."

  Taehyung groaned. "And exactly how many are there left?"

  "About five." Jungkook grinned and Taehyung groaned again.

  "Why don't we just put up posters everywhere? You know, like missing dog posters." Taehyung suggested.

  "She's not a dog, Taehyung."

  "She'll probably be scared away if we do that." Hoseok laughed.

  "We won't know unless we try."

  Jungkook nearly choked on his bread when he recognised that the look in Taehyung's eyes showed that he was totally serious about the posters. "Hell no Tae! I draw the line."

  Taehyung pouted.

  "I can probably ask my sister." Hoseok said. "She likes flowers and that kind of crap, she might have been to the shop."

  Jungkook stopped eating. "You know, you guys don't have to keep helping me."

  Hoseok flashed him a grin. "Oh come on, we're here because we want to. How often do you hear about something like this happening in real life anyway? It sounds like one of my sister's cheesy novels."

  "You actually read those?" Taehyung teased.

  Hoseok punched him in the arm.

  Jungkook laughed. This sort of situation he would have never believed was possible for him two years ago. Something so simple such as having a normal conversation and laughing with friends seemed impossible to him back then. It was nice to know that there was a sense of loyalty between them. He was glad that he extended his hand to find them. This was another thing that he'd have to thank the girl for as soon as he found her.

  With that, he remembered his motivation. He was going to find her no matter what, even if it took him several years. He had so many things he needed to thank her for.

  He turned to his friends and smiled.

  "Thanks guys."