Chapter 31

Thank You for Listening

  The sound of bouncing basketballs and squeaking sneakers on the polished wooden floor echoed in the large hall. Jangmi sat in one of the seats in the front and Sera sat beside her.

  She looked around her. There were a few seats that were empty, but for the most part the place was packed. It looked like half the school showed up along with a bunch of adults. After every goal, the spectators got out of their chairs and cheered loudly, waving their fists in the air.

  Jangmi felt a bit awkward being the only one in the loud crowd to be sitting quietly in her seat. She was amazed at how these people summoned such enthusiasm for a basketball game. The game was nearly over, or at least that was what Sera was telling her, but she still didn't understand the rules of this game aside from the fact that a ball through the hoop is a goal. Sera did her best to explain but it was difficult for Jangmi to hear her over the people around them. And Jangmi could tell that Sera had pretty much given up teaching her out of frustration that Jangmi didn't get it. She couldn't help it; sports was more complicated than chemistry to her.

  Jangmi couldn't say that she enjoyed watching the game that much, but she what she did enjoy was watching Jungkook play. He played very well and he was obviously very athletic. You couldn't even tell that he was hospitalised for a year. He looked fit and perfectly healthy; his slim but compact muscles demonstrated their strength as he moved. Jangmi thought that it was great that he was regaining the colour in his skin; he was now about as tanned as the first day she had seen him in hospital.

  What Jangmi loved watching the most was his bright smile as he played. You could tell that he loved being on the court. He had immense focus on the game and he gave it all his effort. It was great for Jangmi to see Jungkook doing something he enjoyed.

  She heard a loud whistle on the court and all the players dropped their positions and made their way towards the ends of the court. They were having a break. She could see Jungkook ping his bag and pulling out a bottle of water. Jangmi wondered if he would notice her. She wanted to cheer for him or at least give him some encouragement, but she found that calling out into the court like the other spectators did so was something she couldn't do. It felt embarrassing for her and no matter how hard she tried; she couldn't summon a loud enough voice. All she could do was clap.

  Jungkook put his bottle back into his bag and noticed Jangmi looking at him. She waved to him and tried her best to show her support through her body language. She smiled at him brightly and mouthed the words "good luck" while holding her hands in a light fist in an encouraging hand gesture.

  Jungkook smiled at her back before the whistle blew again and the team returned to the court. Jangmi hoped her encouragement did something. She sat back in her chair and she saw a flickering in the corner of her eye. Turning around, she saw that she wasn't the only one making hand gestures. Sera was signalling something to Hoseok and he grinned and waved to her in response.

  "You two sure are getting along well now, huh?" Jangmi teased.

  Sera blushed a bit. "Well, yeah…"

  "Are you two officially a couple now?" Jangmi asked, curious.

  Sera shrugged. "I don't really know. He hasn't really said anything about it. I think if he did, my brother would be glaring at him for the next month. But I don't really mind right now. I like him and we're just having fun."

  "Well, I don't really understand relationships that well." Jangmi said before dropping her voice to an embarrassed muttering. "Especially since I got both my only relationships in really abnormal ways…But I wish you good luck."

  Sera laughed. "Thanks, Jangmi."

  Jangmi looked back onto the court. "Sooo…who's winning?"

  Sera sighed. "It's a tie right now. I'll tell you when it changes."

  Jangmi made an apologetic face. "Sorry, but thanks." She watched for a while longer as the teams eagerly tried to defeat the other. Sera beside her narrated what was going on. Soon the last player scored a goal and the crowd around them erupted in cheers.

  "They won!" Sera squealed excitedly. "Jungkookie and Hoseok won!"

  Jangmi clapped her hands and lightly joined in on the cheering. She watched as Jungkook laughed with his teammates, celebrating the victory. Afterwards the teams started leaving the court and some of the crowd started to disperse.

  Sera stood up from her seat and extended a hand to Jangmi. "Come on, let's go."

  The two made their way outside and dawdled by the doors until they saw Jungkook and Hoseok leave the hall. Sera ran up to give Hoseok a congratulatory hug.

  "Congratulations." Jangmi smiled.

  "Thanks for cheering for me." Jungkook grinned as he swung his sports bag over his shoulders.

  Jangmi blushed. "I didn't really do much…I wasn't loud enough to be heard over the crowd."

  "You did plenty."

  "Hey guys! So you won?" Called out a bleach blond.

  "Tae? If you were here then where were you?"

  "I just came here. I sure as hell wasn't going to stick around watching basketball."

  "If I knew you were going to be here than I should've brought Rayoung." Said Jangmi.

  "Don't worry about it, I saw her earlier today, but thanks anyway, hospital girl." Taehyung grinned.

  Jangmi smiled. 'Hospital girl' was officially Taehyung's nickname for her. She didn't really mind. She didn't really like it when people she didn't know called her that, but she was fine with Taehyung.

  "Anyway, I thought you were like sport illiterate." Taehyung pointed out.

  "I still am." Jangmi admitted. "Sera narrated the whole game for me. I still don't understand a bit of it."

  "Why don't we teach you?" Hoseok suggested.

  "Huh?"

  "Yeah, we can use the outdoor basketball courts." Said Jungkook.

  Jangmi held up her hands to object, but Taehyung had already grabbed her by the shoulders and was dragging her towards the basketball court. "It's decided, we got nothing better to do anyway!" he called out.

  "Speak for yourself." Said Hoseok.

  Jungkook handed Jangmi a basketball. "Try shooting through the hoop."

  Jangmi stared at it like she was holding a bomb. She briskly shook her head. "No, no, I really can't do this; I can't do anything with a ball." [twosuns:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° )   Unconscioustomato: …ಠ_ಠ… no, twosuns no.]

  "Just try."

  Jangmi looked at the hoop nervously. It looked so far away and she knew for a fact that with her strength and coordination, it wouldn't even get near. But she swallowed and with both her arms tried to throw it upward. The ball failed to even gain enough energy to go up, instead it went forward, hit the pole, and bounced off straight into Taehyung's crotch in the speed of light. He doubled over, fell to his knees and yelled out in pain. 

  "Oh my God, I'm so sorry!" Jangmi cried. Her face was completely red at just how badly she had failed and the damage she caused. She rushed over to Taehyung.

  Hoseok burst into laughter. "Well, you definitely scored in a way!"

  "Screw you." Taehyung choked, giving Hoseok the middle finger.

  "I-I am s-so sorry!" Jangmi stuttered. She tried to pull Taehyung up by the arm but he got up by himself.

  "Ugh, if you plan on trying again, warn me."

  Jungkook followed the ball to where it rolled off and picked it up. He returned and placed it back in Jangmi's hands.

  "You want me to try again!?" Jangmi exclaimed.

  "It'd be a shame to just give up." He smiled. "This time I'll give you some help."

  He gently nudged Jangmi back in front of the basketball hoop. She once again looked up at the hoop towering high above her as if it were trying to intimidate her. Taehyung promptly backed away to the far end of the court and Hoseok and Sera decided to follow. Needless to say this did not help Jangmi's confidence.

  "Hold the ball like this." Jungkook said, holding up his hands to show her.

  She copied him, and he walked behind her. From behind he held her arms up. "Aim it a bit higher." He directed. "Got it?"

  Jangmi flushed red and nodded.

  "Okay, now try shooting."

  Jangmi pushed the ball up into the air, jumping up into the air to try and give it more momentum. The throw was weak, but the ball reached above the hoop. It bounced on the metal hoop and rolled around, for a moment looking like it was going to topple outside, before finally it tipped inward and fell through the hoop.

  "You did it!" Sera chirped.

  Jangmi couldn't believe that it actually fell through. It felt good. It wasn't a big victory, but it was the first time she had ever achieved a goal in any form of sport. She smiled to herself.

  "Great job!" Jungkook praised.

  "Yay it didn't hit me!" Taehyung called from across the court.

  "U-um, thanks for helping me." Jangmi smiled. "But I still don't think I'll ever be good or interested in sport."

  "Well, it's an item crossed off my To-do list." Jungkook laughed.

  Jangmi quickly rushed off the court and next to Sera. Behind her, the guys began trying to shoot for themselves.

  Jangmi turned around just in time to see Jungkook pick up the ball again, and almost effortlessly with a single hand he tossed it into the hoop, before it landed with a bouncing thud on the ground.

  It was strange for her to see the difference between them. While it was obvious that she , it wasn't her lack of ability that made her a bit upset. It was the difference between her and Jungkook. Jangmi had always known that they were different, she could tell at first glance of him in the hospital. But seeing this highlighted everything and forced it into her attention.

  Jungkook was popular, athletic, social, smart, and confident; and Jangmi was mousy, weak, socially awkward, and somewhat plain.

  They didn't really share that much in common. Jungkook had a lot of talent to offer while the only thing Jangmi could say for herself was that she could recite all one hundred and fifty original Pokémon in numerical order.

  Come to think of it, after so long, Jangmi still didn't know that much about Jungkook. She didn't know much about his family, his past, or his past relationships. He had never told her any of these things. She wondered why he would even like her in the first place.

  "Jangmi? Are you okay?"

  "Huh?" Jangmi said, snapping out of her thoughts.

  "I said, are you okay?" Sera repeated.

  "I-I'm fine."

  "Are you sure? You were looking a bit moody."

  "I'm fine. I was just thinking." Jangmi assured. "I'm fine."