Chapter 17

Thank You for Listening

  Jungkook took in a deep breath as he finished gulping down his bottle of water. He wiped away the water dripping down his chin with the back of his hand and off the drop at the corner of his lips. The water tasted salty as it mixed with his sweat. He put the cap back on his bottle and put it back into his bag which was sitting inside his metal locker. He had just finished a game of soccer in his school fields with his classmates. He was pretty happy to find that he had almost completely regained his former ability and more than a little proud at his former classmate's stunned reactions as he played.

  After he had returned to school, everybody viewed him as being sickly, but he was quickly proving them wrong. Since the time he had left the hospital, he had put a lot of effort into regaining his former physical health, and he was glad that it was paying off.

  It was also great to be able to play sports again. He realised it was one of the things he missed the most while he was hospitalized. A year of being immobile had now given him a new appreciation for sport.

  Jungkook smiled to himself. He remembered that the girl had hated sport or physical activity in general. That was one of the aspects where they had differed greatly. After he finds her, he would have to try and show her the charm of sport. He was fairly certain he could convert her; even if he couldn't it would be fun to try.

  He took the books that he needed to take home out of his locker and slid them into his backpack. Strands of his hair kept sliding in front of his face while his head was pointed downwards, and he ran his fingers in his hair to pull it back. His hair was of medium length, not long but there was enough to put into a sort of mini half ponytail. The hairdresser he had gone to was a woman who insisted on cutting his hair this way, saying that it was a shame to chop off such good hair. Jungkook tried to object but the hairdresser was very pushy and he gave up. The end result didn't look that bad so he didn't complain.

  He finished packing and zipped up his bag. He swung the bag over his shoulder and shut his locker door with a loud clang. It the space in his vision where his grey coloured locker door had been, he saw the figure of Sewon walk up to him.

  "Hi Jungkook!" she greeted with a cheeriness that Jungkook knew was suspicious.

  "Hey, noona." He replied.

  "Nice to see you're healthy again." She smiled.

  "Thanks." He smiled back. He knew she had some ulterior motive; after all he had dated her for a year. But he did his best to maintain a casual demeanour.

  "It's great that you're all better again." She reached out her hand to his face and tucked a lock of hair behind his ear. Jungkook's face tensed at her over familiar gesture. Even though this had once been normal to him, this kind of action seemed impermissible now. He lifted his hand to brush her hand away but Sewon already pulled back.

  Sewon didn't say anything to him for a while. She just stood there looking at him with an angelic smile.

  "You know." She began. "I've been thinking about two years ago." She looked up into his eyes. "Do you remember when we met?"

  Jungkook internally groaned. Now he knew where she was going with this. "Noona…"

  "We had something." She continued. "I'm just asking for a second chance."

  "Noona, really, it's-"

  "I'm sorry I gave up." she said with an apologetic face. "You're right. The doctors told me you were going to die. What else was I supposed to think? When you woke up you spoke to me so coldly…But you're here now, you're perfectly healthy, and there's nothing wrong. There's a clean slate. I want you to give me a second chance." She reached out and tenderly rested her hand on his arm. She looked up at him with begging eyes.

  Jungkook sighed. "Noona, I'm sorry. I apologise for talking to you so rudely when I woke up. Even if I had just woken up, I shouldn't have done that. I apologise. But I can't. I'm sorry noona, but I can't."

  "But-"

  "You've dated other guys since me, noona. You're a great girl; you can easily find someone else."

  "But I'm not int-"

  He grabbed her hand by the wrist and lifted it off his arm, much in the same way he had done to her in the hospital. "I'm sorry, noona. I don't feel anything for you anymore. It's over."

  Sewon looked crushed and Jungkook felt horrible. Even though he was no longer romantically interested in her, he still cared for her. She had always been a very nice girl and she didn't deserve any of this. He felt incredibly guilty for hurting her. He desperately wished to god that he hadn't been placed in such an awkward situation. He mumbled out a soft "sorry."

  Jungkook moved around her and began walking away.

  "I heard about your mission to find some girl." She called out from behind him.

  Jungkook stopped in is tracks.

  "What are you going to do?" she asked. Her voice filled with a resolve that she didn't have before. "Waste all your time to chase some dream girl who might not even exist?"

  "She exists, Sewon, I've been listening to her for over a year." He answered. He kept calm but there was annoyance behind his voice.

  "It's been almost three months Jungkook, and from what I've heard, you haven't even gotten close to finding her." she said. "What if it takes you years? What if you never find her? Are you going to be alone all this time for a shadow?"

  "I'm not going to give up even if it takes years." He said in an almost snappish tone. "And even if I never find her, I'm still never going to get back with you."

  Sewon's eyes widened at Jungkook's words and he stormed off, leaving her behind standing alone in shock.

  As Jungkook left the school grounds, there was a scowl on his face. He found a solid wall and leaned his back to it and groaned. Great, now he felt like an . Nothing Sewon had said was unreasonable, it was true that his chances of finding the girl were small, but hearing her say it pissed him off. Not to mention the passive aggressive way she said it. But he still shouldn't have snapped at her. Now he felt both annoyed and guilty.

  He heard his phone ring. He wondered what fresh hell this was. In his bad mood he doubted the call could be anything good.

  He pulled his phone out of his pocket and checked the ID. It was an unknown number. He grumbled and brought the phone to his ear.

  "Hello?" he answered.

  "Hello? Yes is this Jeon Jungkook?" said a girl's voice.

  "Yes, and who is this?"

  "I'm Solyi from the Ribbon's gift shop in Gangnam."

  "Oh. Well. Hi Solyi, what are you calling for?" He remembered that he left his number with the cashier girl at Gangnam's shopping centre about a week ago when he was asking around for knowledge on the closed down florist shop.

  Wait, if this girl called him, then that means…

  "Yes, this girl came into our store today and applied for a job here." She said. Jungkook's heart sped up as Solyi said her next words.

 

 

 

  "She said she worked in a flower shop before."

 

 

[A/N: Oooh!! What's going to happen next?]