Chapter 36

Thank You for Listening

  The last bell rang and students poured out of the school. In the midst of the crowd, Jungkook shuffled along with everyone else. He held his phone in his hand and he stared at the screen. He was worried. He hadn't had contact with Jangmi since yesterday. He had called her but she didn't pick up, all of his text message went unanswered. He sighed and slipped the phone back into his pocket. He wondered what was wrong.

  Just as he exited the metal gates, he spotted Jangmi leaning against the side wall. Her eyes were looking down at the ground and her back was slightly hunched over. She held her bag dangling by one of the straps in her hands.

  "Jangmi!" he called out, but she didn't reply. She looked up and turned away.

  Jungkook was puzzled. He knew she had heard him. Jangmi started walking away and he followed. Jangmi slipped away to the side of the school in an area away from the sight of others. Jungkook ran forward and grabbed her by the wrist. "Hey! What's wrong?"

  Jangmi didn't answer.

  "What's wrong?" he repeated. "I haven't heard from you in a day, you haven't been replying to my text messages, and you haven't picked up any of my calls. Why…" his voice drifted off when he noticed that something was very off. Jangmi was looking down at her feet and she was completely silent, as if waiting to say something.

  Jungkook stopped talking and Jangmi finally opened . "Why didn't you tell me that you're partnered up with Sewon?"

  Jungkook was taken aback. He hadn't mentioned anything about it to her. "I didn't think it would be an issue. We're just partners."

  "Does it have something to do with her being your ex-girlfriend?"

  Jungkook was stunned. He had never told her that he dated Sewon. "How-?"

  "Taehyung told me."

  "It didn't seem like it would be a problem." He said. "We broke up. There's nothing there between us. Sewon's a good person. We're just friends now."

  Jangmi's mood didn't seem to change. "You know, Jungkook…" she began. "I guess I really don't know that much about you."

  Jungkook didn't know what to say.

  "Come to think of it. I don't really know anything about your family." Jangmi continued. "I don't know much about your life from before I met you. I don't know why you were in the hospital. Our interests aren't really that similar either."

  "Jangmi, I-"

  "You don't tell me." She said in a calm tone. "You don't tell me anything." Tears began to form in her eyes. "You didn't tell me anything about Sewon, either." She was crying. "I guess you just don't want to tell me."

  "Jangmi-"

  Jangmi turned around and ran off. Jungkook tried to chase after her, but she disappeared into the crowd. She ran with her head down in fear that anyone could see her crying. Tears poured from her eyes, clouding her vision. She kept running even though she didn't know where she was trying to go. She hoped that she wasn't attracting attention. If anyone saw her she hoped that it wasn't a student of Jungkook's school; she had enough of rumours already.

  Not once as she ran did she dare turn around for fear that Jungkook might be behind her. Soon she saw a flight of stairs in front of her. She jogged up the stairs and wiped her tears away from her eyes with her sleeve. She took a deep breath and allowed herself to calm down. She slowed down as she reached the top. She was atop a pedestrian overpass.

  Jangmi wiped away the last of her tears. She couldn't believe how emotional she had been. She had let her pent up worries get the best of her. She wasn't sure how to face Jungkook after this, but she wanted to apologise. She walked towards the other side of the overpass and she saw a face in front of her grinning like the Cheshire cat.

  "Did you have a fight with your boyfriend?" Jimin smirked.

  Jangmi didn't know why he was there but she resented his presence. "Why are you here? Are you stalking me?"

  "No. I'm guess I'm just lucky that I happen to be here." He smirked. "What's the matter? You finally figured out that Jeon Jungkook's a bastard?"

  "Don't call him that." She frowned. "You're one to talk; you faked an asthma attack just to show me Jungkook and Sewon together."

  "Guilty as charged." He shrugged dismissively. "I just wanted to show you the kind of he is."

  "What did he ever do to you?" Jangmi said with disgust in her tone.

  "Do you really want to know what kind of person your little boyfriend is?" he asked. "He used to be one of my best friends."

  Jangmi glared at him.

  "How about I tell you?" He went on with a chuckle. "Did you know that Jungkook stole my girl?"

  "Jungkook would never do that."

  "Oh really? How do you think he got Sewon?"

  "I somehow doubt Sewon ever dated you."

  "Well, she didn't, but she was going to." He laughed. "Sewon was my girl. The whole school knew it. I was always with her. I helped her with everything, her work in the debate club, brought her homework to her when she missed a class, and also I helped her with just her everyday life. Everyone knew she was going to go out with me. But then she started acting weird. She went didn't tell me where she was going to. Then one day I saw Jungkook, your boyfriend, with her. It turns out that they were getting together behind my back. Suddenly Sewon told me she was dating him. I confronted Jungkook about it, and he said nothing but that he and her were together. That bastard undid everything I did with Sewon. I was nothing but nice to her, I did everything for her and under my nose he just stole her."

  "So causing us conflict was your little way of revenge?" Jangmi spat.

  "Yup. The bastard deserves it, and I guess he lost another girlfriend."

  "Don't call him that!" Jangmi yelled angrily and stood up. She stared at him in disgust. She had never felt this way towards anyone, not even her grandpa or Namjoon. They were angels compared to him.

  "You're still defending him?"

  "Jungkook did nothing wrong." She said firmly. "It was my fault for being emotional." She glared at him. "And you know what? You're a loser. Sewon would have never gone out with you."

  "I did everything for her-"

  "You did everything? All you did was treat her like a human being. Just because you helped her out, didn't mean she indebted to you or obliged to date you. She was never yours in any way to begin with. You can't claim another human being." She yelled. She could feel a fire in her stomach. "Sewon would have never gone out with you. You're creepy as hell, and she would've known it. She didn't owe you anything for treating her nicely. She's not an object." Jangmi walked up to him and pointed at his face. "You're just choosing to blame Jungkook that she wasn't going to go out with you because you can't deal with the fact that she maybe didn't want to date you. You're like a child. You were never a real friend to Jungkook. Your little stunt yesterday wasn't even about Sewon. You just wanted to take something away from him. Even my ex-boyfriend is a better person than you. You're a loser and a child." Jangmi took a breath in after finally finishing her rant, and she walked away towards the stairs.

  "You !" Jimin yelled. He grabbed Jangmi forcibly by the shoulder and spun her around. "What the hell do you know!? You weren't there!"

  Jangmi suddenly was aware of the crazy look in his eyes. He had the same unmoving focused stare like a doll she had seen in the library. He had a clamp-like grip on both of her shoulders, his fingers clawed painfully into her flesh. She squirmed in his grasp and tried to pull his arms off of her. "Let go of me!"

  "You think you're one smart , don't you?" He snarled.

  Jangmi struggled out of his grasp. "I said let go of me!" she screamed. She lifted her leg up to kick him in the shin.

  "Ow! !" he yelled, and he pushed her in retaliation.

  His hands left contact with her skin, and she suddenly realised that there was nothing holding her back. Time slowed down. Her feet were no longer in contact to the ground. There was nothing supporting her. She was in mid-air and her body was tilting backwards. She could see Jimin's stunned face above her, his face caught in an instant of regret.

  Before she could even scream, Jangmi fell head first down the stairs.

 

[A/N: Aw .

Let the comments flood in~~~~~]