Little Secrets

Stupid CUPID!

 

 

 

 

Featured song: By my side by David Choi :')


Luhan almost kicked Kai after what he did while the latter just watched Luhan in amusement.

"And you told me that you would wait," Luhan began. "I'm not trusting your words ever again, Kai."

He looked away and hid his face behind a book. Kai's face darkened after hearing Luhan's words. 

"I was just--- I didn't mean to... but I actually liked it," he uttered carelessly while trying to explain and Luhan automatically gave him a look.  "No...Okay, I'm sorry. I was just teasing you."

Luhan ignored him.

"Hey," Kai furthered. He moved closer to Luhan and continued, "Come on, Luhannie. Stop ignoring me."

"That was my first kiss, Kai. You ruined it," Luhan refuted.

Kai frowned and replied, "Ruined. Are you saying that I shouldn't be the one to do it?"

Luhan sighed, "What I was saying is, you should have done it---"

Kai smirked and raised his eyebrows in satisfaction as he leaned back on his chair. Luhan knew he lost the argument again so he retreated quietly and turned away.

While Kai continued to mess up with the poor Lulu, someone pulled the former's shirt from behind. 

"What kiss?"

When they both looked back, Suho was eyeing Kai with sharp and bulging eyes.

"What was that about, Kai?"

.....

"Kai!"

The grumpy cupid grabbed a book and smothered it on Suho's face before grabbing Luhan's hand and they disappeared.

[Baekhyun] Luhannie. I'm here to see--- eh? Where is he?

Suho sighed as he put the book down on the table. He replied, "Kai stole him."

***

Kai and Luhan found themselves in the latter's room and saw Lay sitting lazily on the bed, with bruises all over his face.

"What happened to him?" asked Luhan.

Before Lay could speak, Kai butted in. "Not here."

They both vanished, leaving Lay in confusion.

***

Kai brought Luhan in the school's rooftop only to see Chanyeol and Chen searching for them in the area. "Not here either," he murmured.

*** 

When they settled on the park near Luhan's house, the grumpy cupid bolted upon seeing Kris sitting comfortably on one of the benches while sassily his lollipop.

"Nope," he muttered while holding Luhan's hand firmly.

***

"Now where are we?!" Luhan finally spoke. He flicked his arm to get away from Kai and looked around. "...wait..."

"What is it?" Kai inquired. 

"Why are we here?" He looked back at the innocent Kai and continued, "This is my mother's hometown!"

"Really? I just picked a random place to go," explained Kai. "This is a beautiful place. Why don't we go around?"

"Well, yes. I spent most of my childhood years here and it's good to be back. Actually, I would love to see my grandma. It's been a while since I last saw her," said Luhan who suddenly turned excited. Kai watched him as he silently fell into reminiscence. It was a different side of Luhan that the cupid was seeing and he became more interested to know about the latter's childhood.

"I wonder how you were when you were younger," Kai muttered with an endearing expression. He held Luhan's hands and continued, "I want to know everything about you."

Luhan just lowered his head and showed an embarrassing smile. 

They were caught with each other that they didn't notice a little boy looking up at them at the side. He moved closer to Luhan and tugged his pants. When Luhan looked down, he immediately smiled.

"Hello," he knelt down and talked to the boy. "You're cute. What's your name?"

The little boy just stared at him. 

Kai was intrigued so he asked, "Who are you with? You seem alone."

The little boy looked at him and turned back to Luhan. 

"Maybe he's lost," said Kai to Luhan who wasn't listening to him and was busy pinching the boy's cheeks. "Luhan," Kai called out. "We need to find his parents."

Luhan looked up to him and nodded. Before they could do something, a concerned voice called. 

"Sojun!"

Luhan was so quick to turn around and saw her mother running across the street; a woman in her forties who looks rather beautiful for her age. Her hair was tied-up and even though she's wearing a simple outfit, her pretty face radiates. Kai instantly recognized her similarity with Luhan. There is an obvious resemblance.

[Luhan] Mother...

The woman frowned upon seeing Luhan, "Why are you here? I thought you can't come with me." She carried the boy and added, "Good thing you found Sojun. He's an adopted child of your grandmom. I almost had a heart-attack when I lost track of this kid." She continued talking for a while until she finally noticed Kai.

"Is this your friend?" she asked excitedly. Without waiting for Luhan's answer, she furthered. "I'm Luhan's mother. I am very happy to see that my son finally has made a friend. Did you go here together? What is your name? How long have you known each other? Are you his classmate?"

[Luhan] Mom. You're asking too many questions.

Kai smiled politely and replied, "I am Luhan's---"

Luhan and Kai both realized what they were getting at. They looked at each other and Luhan immediately looked away while Kai continued to watch him with a dilemma. Luhan's mother was observing the two while they silently gaged each other for answers.

[Mom] AH!

She suddenly blurted out and the two were astounded.

[Mom] Best friends? Do you call each other best friends? Or what do young people call it? Hm... buddy? Yes. Buddies. You're buddies, right?

Luhan sighed and chuckled at his mother's silliness. "Whatever you call it mom."

The woman laughed along with him while Kai stared at them like a zoomed-out alien, not really understanding what they're laughing about but deeply loving the sight he was seeing because of Luhan's happy expression. Luhan and his mother seem to have a good relationship with each other despite the fact that the former hides in his room most of the time. He wishes he was that close to her mother, too. However, having 10 siblings can be a tough job for his mom and to spend a long time with one son is rather impossible.

[Mom] Since you're here, it's just right to come and visit your grandma. She has been dying to see you. And for, wait what was your name again?

[Kai] Kai. My name's Kai.

[Mom] Oh. Right. Kai, you can also come along with us. Luhan's grandmother would be pleased to meet you.


When Luhan and Kai arrived at the bungalow house, an eighty-year old woman in a rocking chair greeted them. She immediately stood up upon seeing the guests. Her eyesight was terrible that she didn't recognize Luhan until her mother introduced him. She smiled sweetly and hugged his grandson. Kai was introduced next and she also gave him a hug to the cupid's surprise.

[Mom to Luhan] Why don't you take Sojun upstairs to his room? I'll be preparing lunch for the both of you.

She then turned to the little boy who was standing close to Luhan, "You can play with older brothers, Sojun. You will be eating your favorite food soon. Be a good boy, okay?"

The boy nodded.  Luhan and Kai took him to his room at once. 

When Luhan opened the door, his eyes got bigger after seeing the room filled with children's books and toys. Paper planes and cranes were scattered everywhere, together with different colored-crayons. 

Sojun entered immediately while the two watched him made his way through the floor. He sat down and grabbed a book. And just like that, he started reading, totally ignoring Luhan and Kai at the doorway. 

Kai smirked, "He reminds me of someone."

Luhan nodded, "Yah. D.O. He reminds me of D.O."

Kai wasn't expecting that. He turned to Luhan who was observing the boy merrily.

[Kai] D.O?

Luhan nodded, "Yes. Look how he reads. Your brother reads like that; with serious, almost angry-looking expression. Totally immersed in every page. It's as if he's inside the book and playing as one of the characters in the story." He then laughed after remembering D.O's scowling face.

"You really know him, don't you?" Kai murmured.

[Luhan] ......

"You understand my brothers more than I do," the cupid added. 

[Luhan] ......

[Kai] ...........

A paper plane suddenly poked Kai's face. Sojun was standing and watching the two across the room.

[Sojun] brothers.... I don't have brothers.

Luhan approached him and ruffled his hair, "Do you want to have brothers, Sojun?"

Sojun nodded innocently while Luhan smiled.

[Luhan] Me, too. I think it's wonderful to have brothers. 

[Sojun] *nods

[Luhan] *smiles

 

Luhan, lunch is ready!

 

Sojun excitedly grabbed Luhan's hand and pulled him towards the door while Kai remained standing still. When Sojun passed by him, the former pulled his finger to follow them.

He excitedly led them to the staircase while saying repeatedly, "Brothers...brothers...brothers!"


After the delicious meal prepared by Luhan's mother, the two decided to take a walk outside the house. As much as Sojun wanted to go, he can't since it was time for him to take a nap. 

Kai was silently kicking the pebbles along the way while Luhan would glance at him once in a while. When the silence insued, Luhan decided to speak up. "You look bored. Do you wanna go back to the house and rest instead?"

Kai shook his head.

[Luhan] Are you sure?

[Kai] Yes. 

.....

"Luhan." After a long silence between the two, Kai finally began to talk. "Why don't you tell me about your childhood? I want to know what you did...your experiences... your dreams...everything.

They decided to stop by a children's park and sat comfortably on the swings available in the vicinity.

"As a kid, I dreamed to become a painter. I loved reading children's books when I was young. The colorful illustrations made me happy and excited every time I scanned the pages. Since I was the only child, I played by myself most of the time; similar to that of Sojun's situation now. I wished to have brothers whom I can talk to. I wished to have friends whom I can play with outside the house while my grandmother looks after us." Luhan then smiled when he felt nostalgia creeping inside him. "I remembered one time, my mother's friend has a daughter named Cezille. She was a cute little girl my age and we would play at this park every afternoon after class. She was one of the few friends I knew when I was a kid. However, when we grew up, she turned into a big bully who loves to play tricks and taunts me just to see me embarrassed. Up until now, when she attends her classes in the university, which rarely happens, she would spend time to tease me until I am the one to back out. I don't really understand what happened to her. I guess people change easily. Things change faster than expected."

Kai listened to Luhan intently while the latter continued to talk about his experiences. At the back of his mind, Kai was glad that he can finally see Luhan's inner self. He felt rather content hearing his stories and dreams that he can't helped imagine what would it be like in the future.

He smiled all of a sudden and Luhan stopped upon seeing his change of expression.

[Luhan] What is it?

[Kai] I just thought of the future; what might happen to you.... to me.. 

He gazed at Luhan with earnest eyes before he continued, "What might happen to us."

Luhan stared back at him silently. Kai's words had been warming his heart since the day the former confessed to him in the rooftop. The jittery feeling on the belly; the fast heartbeat, the anticipation...

"Did you expect this to happen?"asked Kai while swinging slowly. "Because I didn't. When I first set my eyes on you and picked you as someone my brothers and I would help, it never came to me that I would..fall in love with you."

Luhan started to swing faster; not really sure what to say. 

"Even after I lived with you for a while and knowing your weaknesses, I never thought you would become one of my dreams, Luhan."

Luhan's face was slowly turning red. He was trying to look away to hide it until he remembered the first line that came out of Kai's mouth.

"Even after I lived with you for a while...."

He stopped from swinging and turned to the latter to ask, "Lived with me?"

Kai paused, too, as he pulled Luhan's hand towards him. He quietly scrutinized the latter's hand and smiled sourly when he saw the scar still imprinted on one of his fingers.

He then glanced at Luhan who had no idea what he was trying to do...

When Kai the scared finger and smiled with a hint, Luhan thought for a while. Not long, it came to him. 

He shook his head, "It can't be. No."

Kai brushed his own finger's on Luhan's and kissed it one more time, leaving the latter speechless.

"Who would have thought that the little best friend once would fall hard for an idiot pal like you?"


Author's note: Sorry for the late and "rushed/crappy" update.  

Feel free to leave your comments, suggestions or even corrections below. 

Thanks for reading.