School Rumble: The After Party

Stupid CUPID!

          

Featured song: Give LOVE by Akdong Musician 


When Luhan and the cupids went backstage, they saw Mei Lin waiting for them. 

[Sehun] Her again...

Suho elbowed the rainbow-haired cupid.

[Mei Lin] That was so fun to watch, Luhan. And you guys, too. Uhm... some of you are my classmates, right? I don't know your names...

[D.O] We are all students here. We just skip class most of the time. I'm D.O.

[Suho] My name is Suho.

[Xiumin] I'm Xiumin.

[Chen] Chen Chen here.

[Lay] Hello, I'm Lay. 

[Baekhyun] I'm Baekhyun. 

[Mei Lin] Good to meet you all. Many girls in our class  are curious about you. We don't really have a lot of guys in this school so it's nice to meet some new and cool fellow.

She smiled at them before she turned to Luhan who jerked when she approached him. 

[Mei Lin] You haven't visited the gallery. I was wondering if you guys were busy seeing other booths around the campus.

They were waiting for Luhan to reply. "Hey," Chanyeol whispered to him. "Answer her quick."

"Oh ye-yes. We actually spent time in the cafeteria," Luhan answered back. "Then we had a final practice for the dance number."

[Chanyeol] Shall we go to the gallery now? Luhan would like to go with you.

Tao, Sehun, D.O and Baekhyun looked at him with scowling faces. 

"Sure," Me Lin answered. "Let's go. You'll be amazed to see the paintings there." She walked next to Luhan and was having a conversation with him as they go to the gallery. The cupids  were observing the two from behind; Chanyeol  grabbed Sehun's hoodie tightly to restrain him from attacking Mei Lin while Baekhyun was marching stiffly , forgetting to take pictures of Luhan because of annoyance. Kris held D.O and Tao by the neck to control them while Kai... well... he disappeared again. Lay followed them leisurely with Chen and Xiumin next to him.

[Chen] She's really pretty, isn't she?

Lay looked at him with droopy eyes and asked innocently, "Who?" Chen knocked his head and pointed Mei Lin. Xiumin nodded and added, "She is. But not as pretty as Luhannie."

The three of them agreed immediately. Suho was walking in front of them and was bending his head backwards to hear their little chitchat.

"You're right, Xiumin. Despite his new look, Luhannie still looks gorgeous it's actually unbelievable!" Chen chuckled. "How can a guy look so beautiful?"

"Exactly my question!" Suho suddenly blurted out as he turned to them. He looked puzzled. "He's not just beautiful. He is also talented and kind and caring and...Isn't that unfair that we have to deal with him and find someone for him when we ourselves---"

"Suho," Chanyeol called out upon hearing him blab.

"...like him," Suho continued speaking in a fast pace. "I was holding this back for the past days and I...."

"Suho," Chanyeol repeated; he let go of Sehun and quickly approached Suho. Luhan and Mei Lin stopped momentarily when they noticed the commotion behind them.

"Suho. Calm down. You're speaking way too fast" uttered Chen as he tried to pacify the other. The singing cupid glanced at Chanyeol who was drawing nearer to them. He slowly moved away from Suho, not liking the idea of what's gonna happen next.

"I know I shouldn't paid for that outfit. That was a bad idea," Suho mumbled. "What am I gonna do now? Luhannie might---"

"Hey,"Chanyeol slapped his forehead. "Don't tell me you're turning into one of them." He pointed Sehun, Tao, Baekhyun and D.O who were eyeing Luhan and Mei Lin. "Not you, too, Suho. You know better than that. Pull yourself together."

"Is something wrong?" Mei Lin asked. She was about to approach the bickering guys when Luhan stopped her, "Uhm... I'll go check on them. Just-- you can just stay here. Give me a moment." Luhan then excused himself.

[Luhan] Hey! What's the matter?

"Luhannie---"

Chen and Chanyeol blocked Suho's way before he can get to Luhan. 

[Chanyeol] Go ahead, Luhannie! We'll just follow after.

[Luhan] Why? What's with ---

Before Luhan could finish his question, Sehun already held him around his arms. "Let's go!!!!" 

Chanyeol turned to Kris who was supposed to watch over the rest. "Kris! Hey!" The latter was busy chatting with some of the girl students on the side, ignoring the chaos happening behind him.

Tao snapped his fingers and time stopped. "There you go," he said proudly. "I am helping you Chanyeol. You owe me."

Kris turned and glared at Tao, "Great." Chanyeol and Chen let go of the struggling Suho who immediately fixed his shirt and went directly to Luhan. 

"What do you want?" Sehun leaned his face closer to Suho as he inspects the latter. He turned Luhan away from the other. 

"I want to talk to Luhannie," uttered Suho. He was trying to see Luhan whom Sehun continuously hide from him.

[Chanyeol] Suho!

Chanyeol covered his mouth and dragged him away. 

[Luhan] What was that?

[Sehun] Don't worry about it, Hannie. Let's just go around the campus.

Tao snapped his fingers and time resumed. Everyone started moving again. Mei Lin searched for Luhan to see the latter with Sehun. She walked towards him and asked, "Luhan? Are your friends okay?"

"Yes," Luhan uttered nervously. 

She looked at him with doubt. She glanced at the rest and went back to Luhan when her eyes caught Sehun's grave expression. She was taken aback for a second and paused for a while before she continued,"Are you sure?"

Luhan nodded immediately, tugging himself away from Sehun's tight grip.

She then smiled and said, "Then, shall we go?" 

"Yeah sure," Luhan replied. He let Mei Lin walk first and he followed, still struggling to get away from the persistent Sehun.


Gallery~

In the gallery, Mei Lin explained each painting that were displayed. She was walking side by side with Luhan, who Sehun clung unto him. Tao was following them from behind with murderous intentions. D.O, even though he's a bit pissed with her, listened well since he is into arts. Chen and Xiumin were trying their best to be attentive during her mini-lecture while Baekhyun decided to search for Chanyeol and Suho. Kris, on the other hand, enjoyed looking at the sculptures made by the students on the side. He would scrutinize the texture inch by inch as if he's a pro. Meanwhile, Lay decided to sit on the available chair and immediately fell into slumber.

"And that's all the works of arts in our gallery. I hope you enjoyed and learned something," she politely said. 

"It was good," D.O remarked, obviously impressed. "Luhan's drawing is also nice."

Luhan looked down shyly. Sehun ruffled his hair and added, "True. Hannie is really talented."

"Honey?" Mei Lin questioned, making sure she heard the right word. Sehun faced her and replied, "Yes. I call him Hannie as in Luhannie. That's how I call my---"

Luhan elbowed him.

"Oh I see," she giggled. "That nickname suits his cute face."

Luhan looked away immediately. He is not used to compliments, especially from girls. In situations like this, he can't help but fidget and act awkwardly. "Th-thank you..," he managed to reply.

The girl was pleased to hear him. "Are you going to the after party tonight?" she then asked Luhan. "A famous idol was invited to come later. Do you know BoA?"

Luhan nodded, "Yeah. She's popular. I heard a lot of students talking about her."

"Yes. She is. She will perform tonight. I am actually excited since I like her music very much," the girl explained enthusiastically.  "Will you come?"

"We will come," answered Sehun. 

"Oh. Of course. With your friends, Luhan. Well, I will see you then. I have to see my classmates now," she uttered before waving goodbye to him. As she turned her back from them, she pursed her lips and smiled graciously. Luhan just followed her movements as she joined the crowd of girls. He then turned to Sehun who was intently watching him. He slipped away from his arms and walk briskly to D.O and Chen. 

"I haven't seen Kai in a while," he stated. 

D.O narrowed his eyes, 'Why'd you ask?"

Luhan shook his head, "No--I- I just noticed that there's no dark soul lurking around. If you know what I mean..."

D.O lifted his eyebrow; doubting and judging.

"No.." Luhan convinced him. He gently pushed D.O to walk to distract him from his malicious thoughts. "Let's just find the rest," Luhan added as they left the gallery.


After party~

Students were roaming around the campus, enjoying the company of their friends. Food carts and drinking stalls were aligned at the university grounds. It was 9 in the evening and everyone was anticipating the arrival of  famous performers. Luhan and the cupids found themselves sitting in a secluded area, not far from the university stadium, where they can watch the festivities without dealing with the crowd of people. Suho was now quiet since Chanyeol was seated next to him, playing with a long rod he found somewhere and threatening the other if he plans to do anything audacious. Tao and Xiumin were munching on the candy cane they bought while Lay and Kris lay on the ground, gazing at the sky aimlessly and fighting the urge to sleep. Sehun and Luhan were drinking bubble tea (lol) while D.O watched them fill their thirst. Baekhyun proceeded with his usual photo shoot but pauses every time to delete the pictures with Sehun in it. "Move Sehun," uttered the busy stalker as he continued clicking his camera. 

"Shall we go there?" asked Chanyeol. "It would be fun to dance with the other students."

Chen nodded, "Yeah. Why not? I bet Luhannie would like to enjoy himself as well. Let's go there and dance with the rest."

"Alright," Chanyeol uttered as he promptly rose from the ground. "Let's go. Maybe you'll find Mei Lin there, Luhannie."

Bringing up the name Mei Lin just made the rest discouraged and bitter. Sehun rolled his eyes and shook his head.

[Chanyeol] Come on now! Don't act like that. I'm sure Luhannie would like to dance with Mei Lin. It's his chance, don't ruin it."

Luhan felt embarassed, "No..I- I don't think I can dance with her...," he spoke hesitantly.

Chanyeol patted his head before dragging him, "Confidence, Luhannie. Aren't you curious to know if she likes you?"

Luhan froze, eye wide opened while staring at Chanyeol in surprise. The latter just smiled at him and added, "I'm sure you'd like to know."

The rest stood up and followed them. Sehun threw his emptied bubble tea on the side and was cursing in his head. "No one is taking me seriously.." he murmured. Suho dragged his feet to catch up with his brothers while sporting a long-face. He passed by Sehun and patted his shoulder to sympathize which made Sehun looked at him twice, not sure if his brother was in the right state of mind.

[Chanyeol] So that's the popular girl? What's her name?

[Luhan] Yes. She's BoA.

"I see," uttered Chanyeol while leading Luhan in the middle of the crowd. "She's good."

Luhan nodded as he watched the performer on stage. The students around them were waving their hands in rhythm to the song she's singing. Some were singing and dancing with their companions in the midst of the crowd. Luhan then spotted Mei Lin with a group of girls, having a good time. He turned to Chanyeol to see if he noticed but the latter was busy singing, too. He wasn't really planning to approach the girl all by himself. He doesn't know how, poor guy. He decided to leave get out from the mob of people and return to the side where the rest of the cupids were waiting. 

He saw Suho looking at him with tired eyes, totally opposite to Sehun who was pleased to see him coming back. The rainbow-haired cupid was all smiles and Luhan snorted as he observed his excited face...which died out all of a sudden. Sehun's cheerful expression turned sour and Luhan clearly saw how he clutched his fists. He wasn't looking directly to Luhan, but behind him.

Behind me? Luhan turned around to see Mei Lin running after him. "Luhan!" She called out. "You came." Her lips curving naturally and her eyes sparkling in joy. Luhan stared at the girl in front of him, silently observing her movements. Her black and white suit draped over her small figure, complemented by her golden earrings and necklace. She drew nearer to him and his heart started to beat rapidly. "WHAT TO DO?!"

"And I see that you're with your friends," she glanced at them before her eyes pivoted to his. She gazed steadily at Luhan, waiting for the latter to say something.

"Luhan?"

"Ah- yes. I'm with them," he replied quickly. 

Sehun took a step forward.

Luhan remained still, waiting for Mei Lin to continue the conversation. The loud sound faded in time to further exhilarate the quietness. in exchange, a mellow song engrossed him. (BoA's Only One) Luhan took a glimpse at the stage; too much light hindered him to see what's going on. He wanted distraction. He wanted to speak but every time he tried to open his mouth, he would fall back into fear and self-doubt. He wished that the girl would ask another question so not to prolong the silence between them and intensify the brewing tension inside his head. However, the girl kept silent and gauge his apprehensiveness. 

Three steps and Sehun was maneuvering forward, nearer to them.

"Do you want to dance?" Mei Lin finally broke the silence. She smiled candidly as she waited for his response. 

Seeing her elated feature, Sehun moved hastily.

Mei Lin walked closer to Luhan who was nervously avoiding her stare. "Are you alright?" the girl asked.  Luhan nodded, retrieving consciousness. 

The rest of the cupids were in a dilemma; D.O, for the first time, showed an emotion other than passiveness and anguish. He slightly frowned as his thumb unconsciously rubbed his index finger. Baekhyun's eyes were fixed on Luhan's back, awaiting for him to do anything; anything but accept whatever Mei Lin was saying. Chen held Tao who was holding his breath as much as he could, his eyes bulging in fear, while Xiumin and Kris looked at each other wearily for the first time. Lay was widely awake. He was looking around to find Suho who has gone missing.

Luhan's eyes grew bigger when he saw the girls and boys slow dancing to the song. His eyes landed back on Mei Lin whose face was concealed slightly by the bright lights coming from the stage behind her. 

She lifted her arms and was waiting for Luhan to hold it...

Baekhyun looked away. D.O took off his glasses, turned around and sighed. Chen snorted while Xiumin gulped deliberately. Kris observed calmly until his eyes viewed Sehun just a few steps away from Luhan. "That kid..." he murmured. Tao heard him. Sehun looked like he was about to grab Luhan. With no other choice, he snapped his fingers,  not to stop him coz he knows his younger brother isn't affected by his time control ability, but to save Luhan from totally blowing off his chance with the girl. Though it's against his will, Tao exhaled deeply.  Seeing how Sehun's rainbow hair changed into dark-brown locks, brushed up in place, Tao knew what's gonna happen. 

Time froze.... but the melody lingers in the air... 

Sehun tugged Luhan closer to him and the latter fell into his arms in an instant. 

.... 

Tao shut his eyes. "Sehun..." he uttered not entirely with anger, but pity.

The wind turned crisp and chilly. Kai, who was sitting on the edge of the rooftop and watching over them, breathed in but exposed a pained expression afterwards, realizing how the air weakened his chest. He lifted his hand at that moment and watched it tremble.

 

-to be continued


Author's note: There goes the drama~ The last part is a prelude to Sehun's episode.

Feel free to leave your comments and suggestions below.

Thank you for reading.