Melodies of the Heart: Chen's Episode

Stupid CUPID!

                                

Featured song: Chen - "Best Luck" ^^


"That was tiring..." said Luhan breathlessly while wiping his sweat. He sat down quickly on the floor. "I knew martial arts is rough but I never thought I would feel like sleeping all week out of exhaustion. My back is starting to hurt."

After the incident with Ren, he and the cupids have been learning martial arts in the school gym after class. Tao teaches him while the rest served as the spectators. That afternoon, D.O and Baekhyun were busy helping him cool off while Sehun has been bound to the side so not to disturb Luhan's training. Suho, Chanyeol and Xiumin became interested in learning the basics as well, while Lay just leisurely watching his brothers with Kris.

"You did well, Lulu," remarked Tao. "You learn fast. Few more stunts and you're good to go! Don't worry about your back. I'll give you a fine massage later."

Luhan smiled awkwardly, "Thanks for appreciating my efforts, Tao, but the massage is...."

"Tell him, Luhannie. You don't trust him," said Baekhyun who was busy taking pictures of the sweaty Luhan. 

"Pfft! I am just trying to help," Tao retorted. He grabbed a bottled water and passed it to Luhan while throwing a wink at the latter. D.O saw him and glared at Tao. 

When Luhan finally relaxed, he went to get his backpack and prepared to leave when he looked up and noticed Kai at the window; watching him. He was about to say something but decided not to. Something's holding him back for some reason. He turned around and joined with the rest.

"Let's drop by at the music room. Chen is waiting for us there," said Chanyeol. 

They nodded and left the area at once.


Music room~ 

Chanyeol knocked and peeped inside the room to see Chen and two other students reading a paper. They were quietly skimming the writings on the paper while sitting on the desk.

"Chen," Chanyeol called out. The singing cupid glanced at the door and smiled. He jumped down and opened the door for them.

"Why don't you come in?" he invited. "We were just reading a lyrics of this one song." He then turned to the other members. "They are my friends. Do you mind if they stay here for a moment?"

A male student nodded and answered, "It's fine. We were about to leave." He tapped the other student and they motioned towards the door. "Thanks for this, Chen. We will review this and we look forward to hear you singing this soon."

Chen smiled and nodded as he waved goodbye to them. When Luhan and his brothers entered the room, he closed the door and went back to where he was sitting not long ago.

"You wrote another song?" inquired Baekhyun.

"Yup," answered Chen. He glanced at Luhan for a second before he continued, "A love song." 

"Waahhh... our Chen is really talented," Chanyeol complimented him."You can sing and write a song. I am very impressed."

Chen smirked, "Thanks, Channie. I am very glad that of all people here, you're the one who appreciates me the most." He took another glimpse of Luhan who was busy pushing the naughty Sehun away from him.

D.O cleared his throat, "That sound so sarcastic of you."

Chanyeol frowned, "What does that supposed to mean?"

Chen chuckled, "Don't mind, D.O. He's just being silly."

"It takes one to know one," D.O was fast to respond. The nerdy cupid smirked and secured his glasses before turning to Luhan. 

"You're done with your activities, right?  Why don't we head home now?" uttered Tao who was obviously bored. He was sitting next to Kris and can't have his way with Luhan since his determined younger brother hinders it.

Chen grabbed a piece of paper on the desk and rolled it, "I still have to give this last copy to a member."

After a while, a knock on the door interrupted their leisure talk. Chen watched the door open and quickly glanced at Luhan who was also wondering who's the person to come in. The cupid breathed heavily.

Emi popped from the other side of the door. Her eyes caught Chen and quickly approached him. She was moving graciously until she noticed Luhan and the cupids. The graciousness turned dull as she almost lost her balance. 

Chen immediately jumped out of the table and helped her. "Are you alright?"

The president gulped. She cleared before she answered, "I'm fine. I wasn't paying attention. Thank you."

Chen then handed the copy of the song to her. "I finally finished it. You can read the lyrics and tell me if you're not satisfied."

She skimmed the paper and smiled, "Thanks. I'll read this later. But I'm pretty sure this one's great," She glanced at Luhan who was observing them. The latter bowed and smiled at her and she did the same. 

Chanyeol rose from his seat and introduced himself, "We are Chen's friends. My name is Chanyeol."

"Hi, I'm Emi. It's a pleasure to meet you," she answered formally. "Are you students here as well? I never knew you were friends with Luhan."

Chanyeol bit his lip and frowned. He nodded slowly and turned away which made Emi curious. She turned to Luhan and wanted to confirm. When their eyes met, she gasped for air and quickly looked away; totally forgetting what she was about to do.

Chen had been observing her actions and his eyes continuously shifted from her to Luhan. He knew something's up. He glanced at the paper where the song he wrote was imprinted and can't helped but sigh shortly.

 "I will see you tomorrow, Chen. I really appreciate this," she finally uttered. 

Chen showed a little smile and nodded. When she walked towards the door and opened it, she was taken aback by the appearance of someone.

It was Kai. The latter stared at her for a while and waited for her to move.

"Excuse me," she murmured and went off. 

Kai entered the room and immediately approached Chen and sat beside the latter. "What was that?"

[Chen] I gave her something she needs. 

"I see," Kai huffed. "Are you friends with her, Chen?"

"Hmm..you can say that. She has been helping me to know more members in this club. She's friendly," answered Chen. "Why do you ask?"

Kai shook his head. He took a glimpse of Luhan who was also watching him across the room. Seeing the latter, the cupid fixed his stare on him for a while until Luhan was the first one to look away. Chen smirked and uttered faintly, "Is this something to do with Luhan?"

Kai nodded. 

"About Luhan... and Emi?" Chen furthered. "Is that it, Kai?"

Kai turned to him inquisitively. "How'd you know?"

Chen cleared his throat and whispered to him, "Let's go outside. I'll tell you."

Kris saw them leaving and elbowed Suho who was next to him. The latter called out, "Where are the two of you going?"

Chen looked back and replied, "Outside. We'll be back."


In the hallway~

"What about Luhan and Emi?" asked Chen while striding along the empty hallway. Kai was beside him, staring at the students going out of the university gate.

"I remember her," Kai began. "After the dance performance. She was...gazing at Luhan..like..."

Chen smiled, "Like she adores him."

Kai sighed. "Chen..."

[Chen] I know. 

The older cupid patted Kai's shoulder before he gently hit brother's chest, "It seems that my younger brother's true feelings are starting to unfold."

"I am,,I'm not trying to.." Kai defensively replied but was cut off as Chen continued. "You don't need to deny it. I knew right from the start."

Kai retreated for a second before he managed to respond, "What about you? Do you like-- him?"

"HAha!" Chen chuckled; as if taking Kai's question lightly. Kai paused and frowned as he waited for Chen's answer. When Chen stopped and looked at him, his happy expression dimmed all of a sudden. "I do."

Kai unintentionally gulped at his frankness. He locked an eye contact with Chen and measured his brother's seriousness. 

"I mean it, Kai," Chen confirmed. "I like Luhan."

The color of Kai's face was draining fast. His wide eyes expressed disorientation. 

"It's evident that all of us, brothers, do," continued Chen. He stared at a distance as he proceeded, "I have always been low-key about it, since I don't want any more trouble. But since you asked about it, I might as well tell you now."

He glanced at Kai who was still bewildered at his confession. 


FLASHBACK~ Weeks ago. One afternoon...

"Luhannie? Can I come in?" Chen peeped outside Luhan's window. 

"Oh Chen. It's you," said Luhan as he opened the window. "Sure."

"My brothers went back home," started Chen as he made way in Luhan's room. He sat on the floor comfortably and continued, "Is it okay If I stay here for a while?"

Luhan shook his head, "No problem. I am just finishing an art project."

"Thanks. I am also trying to finish something important," uttered Chen while putting on his headphones. "Don't mind me here. You just go on with your work."

Chen's power is the ability to create music through his intuition and emotions. He can also understand people through the sound he hears when he meets them. In Luhan's case, when Chen first saw him, a lonely melody filled the air. That time, he just wanted to watch over Luhan while his brothers were away. Later did he realize that something will grow out of it. He planned to compose a song, requested by his club members. He found Luhan immersed with his work on the desk. Chen was admiring his dedication and was inspired to finish his task as well. When he was about to close his eyes, a mellow tune started to play in his head. At first it was a soft melody ringing through his ears. Then it gradually turned louder...  resounding...  until it consumes his senses. His eyes opened and Luhan was the only thing he could see.

That very moment, he felt like drowning. He could hear his own heartbeat to the rhythm of the music.

Everything was turning pitch black.

 

"That was awesome, Chen."

The cupid slowly opened his eyes and saw Luhan clapping across the room. The latter looked genuinely impressed as he smiles. 

"That was a great song. You're voice was really good, too," added Luhan. 

Chen stood up and his forehead. He watched Luhan as he went back to his work. 

"I sang," Chen murmured. He walked towards Luhan and spoke faintly, "Was I singing loud? I'm sorry..."

Luhan faced him and replied kindly, "No worries. I actually enjoyed your song. It calmed my mind and I feel more inspired to paint." He smiled shyly as he brushed his palm through his work. 

 

>>>

"Are you worried, Kai?" asked Chen. 

Kai walked across the hallway and leaned against the wall, facing Chen. He was looking down while his brother watched his movements. 

"I would be lying if I say no, " replied Kai honestly. 

Chen sighed, "Me, too." 

There was silence between them.

"Are you going to tell Luhan?" inquired Kai. He was preparing himself on what Chen might say. 

"To be honest. I don't know," replied Chen. "I don't know what I should do. Or if I should even do something about it."

[Kai] What do you mean?

[Chen] Aside from you and our brothers, there's Mei Lin. I have no idea if Luhan likes her. I can't decode his feelings. And at the same time, Emi. 

[Kai] Yeah. Her.

[Chen] I like Luhan but I decided to let him discover his own feelings. Having so many feelings to consider, I prefer not take matters in my own hands. That might sound like a stupid idea but that's all I could think now. For us. For Luhan.

Right. Among us, Chen is the kind of person who sees things rationally. He's the one who waits patiently, thinks before he acts and controls his feelings most of the time. 

"What about you, Kai?" Kai's thought was disrupted as Chen continued. "Do you intend to just watch while our brothers freely confess to him one by one?"

Kai remained silent. He was searching for the right words to say.

"What would you feel if Luhan falls in love with someone else?"

Kai shut his eyes close.

"And what if that person is one of us? Can you bear the thought of losing Luhan in the process?"

....


Author's note: Chen and Kai's man-to-man talk.

That question though. What do you think Kai should do?

Feel free to leave your comments below. Thanks for reading.