Between Brothers: Heart Strings

Stupid CUPID!

 

 

           

 

Featured song: Only U by TTS (Sehun-to- Luhan)


"Sehun..."

Kai glanced at the side to see his younger brother watching them with lowly eyes; it speak indecipherable doubt and frustration. The former was standing still, gaging quietly as Luhan motioned towards the window and opened it.

"W-what are you doing here...?" Luhan asked softly.

With a pained expression, Sehun forced a smile which made him looked even more pitiful. He gazed at Luhan momentarily before he spoke in a low tone, "I was hoping I could spend time with you, hannie..." The way he uttered Luhan's name was with the indication of bitterness. 

"I-I see..." answered Luhan who was observing Kai through his peripheral vision. 

A breeze of cold air enveloped Luhan. It made the latter his arms before he turned around.

"Can I come in?" asked Sehun with a weary voice. 

Luhan looked back and replied, "Sure."

When Sehun entered, the window immediately shut close loudly. Luhan bolted upon hearing the boisterous noise. He situated himself near his desk while Kai sat on his bed. The latter was rubbing his chin.

Sehun suddenly smiled and spoke in a lively but forced manner, "I didn't expect my brother to be here at this time of the night." His eyes glanced shortly at Kai who was watching him keenly. Sehun then turned to Luhan and continued, "What were you doing?"

Luhan gulped deliberately before answering, "We were..talking..about...something..."

Kai shifted his stare from Sehun to Luhan. 

"Ahh.." Sehun responded. "Talking about something. I thought he was bullying you, Hannie." His voice was starting to crack. "You know you can tell me if..he's hurting you...

Sehun's voice started to drop as he continued, "....because I will do everything for you..."

The heavy wind produced a knocking sound on the quavering window while the three fell silent.

.....

Luhan stood up and smiled stiffly, "He's not bullying me, Sehun. You don't have to worry."

Sehun lowered his head. The youngerst cupid's eyes raked on the floor. He gasped for air and mimic the exact awkward smile Luhan showed, "I don't have to worry, huh?"

Luhan's smile gradually vanished after hearing the latter's saddened voice. He glanced at Kai who was staring at him with a longing expression. His feet unconsciously moved towards the latter until Sehun laughed softly. 

"This is boring," he began. Luhan stopped and turned to him. "Why don't we go somewhere, Hannie?" 

[Luhan] Going where?

"Hmhm..." he thought. "Some place far away. Come on," he held Luhan's arm and glanced back at Kai. "We will be back." That was an indirect way of something, "Don't follow us." Kai knew. Despite his eagerness, he had to leave it like that for tonight; not because Sehun said so but because of Luhan's worried expression and pleading eyes. Right when he saw the latter, Kai understood what bothers him. The transformation. He, too, was anxious about it. 

 

Kai frowned slightly and muttered hesitantly, "You take care of him, Sehun. Please don't do any--"

"I won't," Sehun reassured him. He was acting like a responsible and matured man all of a sudden. "I will not do anything to hurt him, brother. You can trust my word.


Luhan found himself in an open field where a carnival was situated. People were busy checking stalls and attractions. Bright lights and happy voices filled the area. He turned to Sehun who was scratching his head.

"Why are we here?" Luhan asked.

The youngest cupid smiled shyly, "I was thinking... we could go on a ...a date.."

Luhan immediately looked down with eyes wide opened. He felt something slithered on his unstable heart.

"A date..." Luhan repeated faintly. 

"Yup," replied Sehun who was taking a glimpse of Luhan reddened face.

.....

Let's go there!

That looks fun!

Wohoo! This is yummy! 

One box of choco muffins please.

Mom, buy me one.

Love, let's ride the Ferris wheel.

Sehun and Luhan remained silent for a while. The chitchat of the happy people around them resonated, until the fireworks display started and it startled Luhan who clenched his fists in surprise.

"Why don't we ride the ferris wheel, Hannie?" initiated Sehun.

"I-I'm scared of heights. You know that," replied Luhan.

Sehun moved closer to him and held his shoulder, "You're with me. You'll be okay."

Luhan smiled hesitantly.

"Don't worry," Sehun put his arm across Luhan and gripped on it tightly. "Let's go!"

When the two of them entered the transparent box of the Ferris wheel, Luhan immediately sat and breathed in. It was cold that night and it didn't help to pacify his nervousness.

Sehun sat beside him comfortably. 

After a while, the Ferris wheel started moving and Luhan instantly closed his eyes. 

....

[Sehun] Luhannie...

[Luhan] Hm?

[Sehun] Open your eyes.

[Luhan] I can't...

[Sehun] Come on. You're missing the beautiful view.

[Luhan] .....

Despite Luhan's pitiful face, Sehun find it amusing. The former was squeezing his eyes shut and the cupid can't helped but chuckle. He was gazing at Luhan for a while before his eyes stopped on the latter's lips. Sehun's smile gradually faded. He turned away and looked outside the window glass.

.....

They're now on top and Luhan became curious of the silence between them. When he slowly opened his eyes, he saw Sehun sitting across him and looking down.

[Luhan] What's wrong? You look... miserable.

[Sehun] ....

[Luhan] Se-Sehun..

...

Sehun raised his head and smiled dryly. He was looking around aimlessly, avoiding Luhan's eye contact. 

[Luhan] What happened?

The rainbow-haired cupid started to fidget and it made Luhan even more uncomfortable and bothered.

....

[Sehun] Hannie.

[Luhan] Wh-what is it?

The former rose to his feet and reached for Luhan's hand to let him stand. Without warning, Sehun embraced him tightly.

[Luhan] !

[Sehun] I'm afraid.

Luhan tilted his head towards the other; cold sweat starting to form on his forehead.

[Luhan].. afraid? I thought... But this is your idea... Wait what? I can't understand.

He arched his head back to escape but to no avail. He felt like drowning from the firm hold and the clear sight through the glass window heightened his distress.

"I'm afraid," Sehun repeated. 

....

[Sehun] I'm afraid of losing you.

[Luhan]....

"I-I just," he started to stutter. His usual happy and playful disposition were taken away by his longing and fear. "You are the first person I love this much..."

[Luhan] Sehun...

[Sehun] Please.... hear me out. I really love you.

Luhan was feeling light-headed. His nearness caused him to tremble. He can't helped but frowned and sighed heavily.

Sehun just confessed to him, yet... 

[Sehun] Please accept me, Luhannie. 

That feeling when you can't say yes or no for so many reasons,..because you have to consider so many feelings and you were starting to neglect your own.... That moment, Luhan felt hurt, confused, worried, anxious....

He can't even feel his own heartbeat anymore.

He was hesitant to speak so he remained still. Sehun continued speaking, yet his words don't reach Luhan. It's as if the latter was immersed in a whirlwind of emotions that he cannot control even his senses anymore.

"Luhannie," Sehun said with emphasis when he noticed Luhan's preoccupied expression.

Luhan jerked and unintentionally pushed Sehun away. "S-sorry...what?"

[Sehun] You were not listening...

[Luhan] No! I was listening. It's just...I am just...I can't get my head around it..

[Sehun] .... 

[Luhan] ....

[Sehun] Is there ..someone else? One of my brothers? Mei Lin?.... 

[Luhan] ....

[Sehun] ...Kai?

Luhan gulped deliberately.

Sehun smirked, "It can't be him, right?" He chuckled. "What am I thinking? Kai isn't the type to run after someone.."

Luhan looked at him in awe.

"And it doesn't really matter," he continued, convincing himself. "I- just have to show you and prove it. I am not backing away from anyone, even my brothers."

[Luhan] Don't say that. 

Luhan blurted out.

[Luhan] I can't stand seeing you fight. Do you understand how difficult it is for me .. I don't want anyone to get hurt...I don't want you to get hurt...

[Sehun] Hannie--

[Luhan] Don't do anything drastic, Sehun. Please... I don't want to worry your brothers... they love you so much...

Sehun looked down. "I know. But I can't just let you go." He pulled Luhan for a hug and whispered, "I'm sorry if I'm being selfish. I hate seeing you so sad so  I'll promise you one thing; I'll compete fair and square. If that will make you satisfied, I will do it, Hannie. Don't worry now...Just let me love you."

***

When Luhan returned to his room, he immediately searched for Kai but the latter wasn't around. He sighed; thinking of the events that took place that day. Too many things happened. Too many people involved. Many dilemmas left unsolved.

He laid down on the bed and wondered what will happen tomorrow. Will things get better? Or will it worsen?

How can he face the others without thinking about their sentiments?

And what about his? How long can he hide his own feelings?

***

D.O and Baekhyun were passing through the mob of people in the carnival.

"Are you sure you saw them?" inquired Baekhyun.

D.O nodded, "Positive."

Baekhyun looked around before he shook his head, "I wonder where Sehun took Luhannie. Tsk."

D.O fixed his glasses and continued surveying the area. "I need to find Luhan. That kid might do something inappropriate."

[Baekhyun] Sehun is childish . He can't do that.

[D.O]  He already did.

Baekhyun's jaw dropped upon hearing him. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

D.O frowned, "What? I thought you knew about the kiss? Sehun kissed Luhan when they first met."

Baekhyun sighed in relief, "Oh. That..."

[D.O] What on Earth are you thinking? 

"Nothing," answered Baekhyun in defense.

[D.O] Dirty.

[Baekhyun] Hey!

D.O put his arms across his chest and thought, "Maybe they went home."

[Baekhyun] In Luhan's room? 

D.O nodded and continued, "Yes. Why don't we go there to check?"

[Baekhyun] Yah. We better check on them. I want to make sure my baby is fine.

D.O was already walking away when Baekhyun replied. He halted after hearing the latter's last sentence. 

[D.O] Excuse me, what?

[Baekhyun] I said I wanna make sure my baby is fine.

[D.O] Baby.

[Baekhyun] Yah.

D.O smirked.

[Baekhyun] What?!

[D.O] He's not YOUR BABY. You speak as if you own him now. He's not yours, Baekhyun.

[Baekhyun] Not yet.

Baekhyun smirked back at him with a subtle hint of a challenge. "Not yet, D.O."

D.O understood what he was trying to imply and fought back, "We'll see about that."

.....

....

They were both staring at each other with sharp eyes; gaging and asserting. No one was letting go of the eye contact for a while.

 

[Baekhyun] D.O...

[D.O] What?

....

[Baekhyun] ... I can't take you seriously.

Baekhyun burst out laughing all of a sudden. He was clapping his hands like a seal in amusement. D.O sighed and shook his head after their little growling moment which turned out to be a comedy scene by the second.

[Baekhyun] I can't stand seeing a nerd like you act so manly and possessive. You were trying so hard.

He continued laughing hysterically while D.O just shrugged and went off.

[Baekhyun] Hey! Where are you going?

[D.O] Staying away from a crazy fellow named Baekhyun.

[Baekhyun] Hahah! Wait up! Let's check on Luhannie now.

[D.O] I'll go by myself. Stay away from me, crazy.

[Baekhyun] Come on. Don't be offended. I appreciate your efforts in playing a manly suitor, trying to protect Luhannie. It wasn't that bad. Your acting, I mean.

[D.O] *sighs

[Baekhyun] You know, I remembered something. You haven't returned to me a picture I took of Luhannie in the shower...

[D.O] O.O

Baekhyun smirked. "HAHA! Got you. So, who's dirtier now?"

[D.O] It was--- I--- He wasn't or anything...

[Baekhyun] Oh?

D.O started walking rigidly while Baekhyun followed; still teasing his younger brother who was now turning red. 


Author's note: Brother's conflict series? >.<

P.S Sorry if I didn't update earlier. 

Feel free to leave your COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS below.

Thanks for reading.

====

DAMN! WHO HAS SEEN THE MV FOR CALL ME BABY?! :O *hyperventilating

But I won't deny it. I miss the deer so much. #bittersweet