Chapter 43 Promise

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I don't have it in me to end this storily angstily and you don't wanna see my take on angst, so I think all where this is going.

"I told him to come," Tao said as he craned his neck to glance around the airport, "He knew today was the day." 

You clutched the strap of your bag tighter and nervously bit your lip before glancing at the time on your phone; seven minutes left. 

"Guys," you said, "It's almost time; I don't think he's coming." 

"He'll come!" Chen insisted, tip-toeing to look around, "He'll come and confess his love to you and he'll find a way to make it work and then you guys will kiss and live happily ever after. That's how it's supposed to go." 

You gave him an apologetic look, and walked to his side first, holding your arms out for a big hug. 

"Keep telling your jokes Chen, and don't give up on the idea of a girlfriend. I'm going to miss you so much." Next to Chen was Xiumin who didn't look like he wanted a goodbye hug, and you didn't want to give him one becasue it made the situation that much more real. 

"Take care of Luhan, hmm? I'm going to miss you so much." He hugged you back and murmered, "It's not supposed to be like this."

Luhan was already sniffling like mad. 

"I'm not supposed to have gotten attached to you. I didn't like you at all, remember?" You chuckled a bit at the memory. 

"Call me often okay?" you ruffled his hair, "Oh you're like a brother to me Luhan. I promise we'll meet again someday; this isn't the last time we'll see each other." 

Tao looked royally pissed, "What is wrong with him? He knew you were heading back today. He loves you, so why is he doing this?" 

You could only hug him, "It's okay, Tao. Can you promise me something though? Just please make sure he takes care of himself. I'm gonna miss you, I hope everything with you and Sehun works out." Tao sniffed a bit, but smiled and agreed to your promise. 

Last was Lay who hugged you first. 

"Take care in Korea okay? And visit this summer or something after you ace your exams. Just because you won't be here, doesn't mean we'll get over you." 

The few tears you had been holding in finally fell. 

"I'll do my best," you promised him, "Please look out for him. I know it's over, but still...." Lay understood you and nodded. 

You stood back and admired the group of five. "My five closest friends," the picture of them was getting blurrier with every second, "I love you all so much. I'll see you around?" You didn't wait for a response, instead choosing to turn around and head towards the gate. 

You were going back to go Korea; but you weren't going home. 

"Well," Chen spoke as they watched the plane speed down the runway from a window, "She's really gone." 

"LAY!!!" 

The group turned from the window to see a panting Kris standing in front of them. 

"She's gone," Lay snapped, "I hope you know how badly you screwed up Kris." 

"NO!" Kris denied. 

"Yes!" Luhan snapped. "Tell me what was going through your mind when you avoided her for two days. When you heard she was leaving but ignored it. When she was crying while trying to pack up all the memories of you." Luhan only stopped when Xiumin placed a hand on his shoulder so as to help him calm down. 

"But I came," Kris breathed out, and Lay who was watching with curiosity, raised an eyebrow at what Kris said. 

"I still came for her, and I'm not going to leave until she knows that," he finished. 

"There might be a way," Lay spoke up.  

~

You could faintly remember sitting by the window on the way to Canada, much like you were doing now on the way back to Korea. You could remember wondering what being in Canada would be like. Would it be an adventure? Would you want to stay there in the end? 

You now had the anwsers. It was an adventure like no other. Would you want to stay there in the end? Yes; but it wasn't so much about wanting to stay 'there' as it was about wanting to stay with a certain someone. Life unconditionally. 

"Excuse me, miss?" your train of thought was interrupted by a flight attendant, "There's someone on the phone asking for you." She pointed to the phone towards the front of the plane. You shakily walked up there and grasped the phone with your sweaty hand. 

"H-hello?" you whispered, a part of you already knowing who was on the other line. 

"Jangmi....." And sure enough, that deep voice that filled you with warmth responded. 

"Jangmi, I need you to listen to me," he asked, "Jangmi, I was there today; I was just late. Jangmi I want to be with you, I wouldn't be like this if  I didn't. I'm sorry for yelling at you and walking out; it'll never happen again. Just please return after your exams. I can't function without you here." 

You almost told him you'd be on the first flight out after exams, when the more sensible part of you reminded you of one thing he hadn't mentioned. 

"And then what?" you responded. There was a pause,

"What do you mean?" 

"It's so bold of you Kris, to make such a big gesture as this. And you have no idea how good all of what you just said sounds. But if I come back to you, then what? You'll still leave for China and I won't be able to follow you. We'll fight again and it'll end worse than this." 

"Nothing could be worse than where we are now," he responded, "Jangmi, we'l figure something out I prom-" 

"What do you want Kris?" you asked.

"What do you mean?" 

"I mean, you want me to  come back, you want to go to China, you want to follow me to Korea, and you want to live happily ever after. But we already know that the better half of the things I listed off won't happen, so what do you want? What's the plan?" 

"........." 

"I love you Wu Yifan, and I mean it when I say you'll always be enough. But I don't want to come back only to leave in tears again. Please.......please call me when you have something worked out. Because I've already worked something out, and it involves me going back to my seat and waiting for this plane to land in Korea. .....Goodbye." 

You didn't go back to your seat though, you locked yourself in the plane's lavatory and avoided looking at your haggard appearance in the mirror as you sobbed. It wasn't enough for Kris to just want you. He also needed to fight for you. But was it even worth it anymore? 

One month. It had been one month since you had left Korea. You were doing terribly to say the least. You had passed your exams with flying colors soley because you had thr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter