Chapter 5 First Impressions

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You hesitantly exited the plane despite being slightly pushed and prodded forward by the other hasty passengers. One thing you always failed to account for in situations like this was the fact that you didn't do well in new places. School had been a struggle and college was only slightly more bearable because you had Eunmi.

You shook off the feeling and confidently walked forward. You claimed your luggage and went to join your teacher and classmates by a section of chairs. Your teacher informed it would be a few minutes before the students from Toronto University arrived to take you to the campus. 

25 minutes later, the other students still hadn't shown so you rose from your seat. Your teacher and piers looked at you questioningly. You didn't know most of them; never really cared to, to be honest. You made your way over to teacher and asked to use the vending machine. He nodded and turned back to his 'heated' solitaire game on his phone.

You located a vending machine and decided on a bottle of water; the last thing you had tasted was the metallic water the plane had to offer. It occured to you however, that you were only carrying Korean money and it would take to long to make your way to the opposite end of the airport where you could exchange money.

You groaned and leaned against the vending machine. You looked around to see if there was anyone to help you. You spotted a tall and lean boy about your age making his way into the airport. You jogged over and stopped in front of him. You noticed his Asian appearance, but assumed since he was entering the airport, he probably either needed to pick someone up or leave. Both cases would probably leave him with some Canadian money. 

"Excuse me," you called in English.

He turned to face you and you saw his distinctive eyebags that made him look venomous while he looked you over with his eyes. His stare made you shrink back just a bit. Maybe it was you who scared him though, with your dark leggings, plain and oversized black hoodie, and combat boots. You traveled for comfort, but your dark clothing choice and dark hair framing your face probably didn't make you look that inviting.

"Um," you stuttered for the right words, "Do you. . .have...Canadian money?"

He smirked at your attempt and rather than hand over the money, went so far as to go over to the vending machine and insert the money for you. "Thank you!" You called out in you broken English as he was already moving on. You were a bit rusty from your high school years ago. You hoped you'd readjust quickly; you had had plenty of practice anyway, and your partner would also know some Korean.

You slowly walked back to your class, water bottle securely tucked in one hand while your bag was in the other. The first thing you noticed upon your return was that there was a significant increase in the amount of people presen

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter