Chapter 42 The Realization of

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You two look closer than usual.....if that's even possible," Lay remarked as he watched the Xiuhan duo walk into the familiar dance studio; you hadn't seen them for the entire spring break week and true to Lay's words, they did look closer.

Xiumin had a sly smile on his face and Luhan looked embarassed beyond all compare. You caught on first and let out gasp, 

"No! You guys! Did you really.....!!" Luhan was now hiding his face in Xiumin's shoulder as Xiumin inconspicuously fist bumped Lay. 

"So who tops in that relationship anway, I've always wondered *SMACK* OWWW!!!" Chen rubbed the sore spot on his head while Lay looked rather satisfied with the mark he left. 

"Mind your own business. Would you like me to ask all about the details of your date with the receptionist?" Lay quipped. 

"I was going to tell you anways," Chen retorted, "She said she has no interest in dating a foriegner because she would never even think about living abroad. She was so rude, you wouldn't even believe it. So I ditched her halfway through the date and left her to pick up the bill." 

The room exploded in loud groans at the sudden news, but you all didn't really expect much from the boy in the first place. 

"And what about you Tao?" Kris asked looking at the boy who up until a month ago still needed help showering but now was suddenly turning over a new leaf. 

"I'm in love!!" Tao exclaimed dreamily. You rolled your eyes because you could distinctly remember once meeting this Sehun guy and sensing he came off as a total prick. And then there was Tao, who was doing everything in his limited power to impress the guy. Which included dying his hair blue and trying to give himself more cartilege piercings which ended in a short trip to the ER. But so long as he was happy you guessed. 

Lay was also looking better. His dimples were back, his dark circles gone, and he was already back to puttering around. 

April came around and the days usually progressed slowly with the occasional spur of drama. Tao seemed to be in a fight with his internet soulmate one day and practically kissing his webcam the next. Chen was trying to find his place in the world and that ended up with you explaining to him why smoking behind the sports stadium with the other junkies was not his calling. 

Lay was adding the finishing touches to his recital that was coming up, and dancing with Kris was quickly becoming one of your favorite things to do with him.  

The Xiuhan duo always seemed to have one thing or the other going on. When they weren't wearing matching outfits, being thrown out of movie theaters for making out, or being unbearable brats to everyone, they would have cute little couple fights. The most recent one being about the watiress at iHop. 

"She ing knew your name and asked if you wanted the usual. She's clearly in love with you and you're leading her on," Luhan screamed as they walked into recital practive one day. 

"I'm not in love with her I'm pretty sure you're aware of that." 

"Then what was up with the tip you gave her? Don't you think it was a bit much, sending the wrong signals I think. You shouldn't be so generous with people!" 

"I'm a naturally generous person. I didn't see you complaining about my generosity last night."  That last remark made Luhan flush a deep red and finally take a seat. 

"You know, Irene and I never had a thing. She's dating some girl named Wendy, and I'm extra nice to her because she helped me talk to my family after everything went down. She's been there too you know." And just like that, Luhan's insecurity went away and he was back to snuggling up against Xiumin on the piano bench.  

You on the other hand was trying to figure out a solution to your problem that was coming up at the end of the year. 

You had decided you wanted to stay in Canada and finish your degree by Kris' side. He didn't know yet because you were still working out the details, and you kind of wanted it to be a surprise. Kris wasn't like anyone or anything you had ever experienced before. You weren't ready to let this part of your life go; but who said you had too?  

Unfortunatly, Kris was having his own problems. 

"How sure are they?" Lay asked. He didn't understand why Kris had asked him to lunch for just the two of them until Kris started talking. 

"Nearly positive. The symptoms are all there and she's staying over at the hospital more and more," Kris frowned, "It's just a minor heart condition caused by stress and old age. Easily fixable by a surgery." 

"Then why are we here?" Yixing asked. 

"After the surgery, my mother needs someone to take care of here for at least 7 months......and she can't afford a personal nurse." Lay held his breath already fearing what was coming. 

"I need to go back to China at the end of the school year." There was a confirming silence.

".....Just take Jangmi..." Lay suggested. "Jangmi doesn't speak a word of Chinese and I can't possibly ask her to make such a colossal transition. She wouldn't even be allowed to try for schooling there with her nonexistant mandarin."

"Take your mom to Korea for the surgery."

"My mother doesn't know any Korea

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter