Chapter 28 The aftermath

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

You woke up with a headache in what you were certain was an ambulance.

"Miss? Miss? Can you hear me?" There was a paramedic in your face shining a small light in your eyes.

You sat up immediatly and fell back down as the blood left your head. You grabbed the wrist of one of the people around you,

"What happened?! Where's my friend?!"

"Hey, hey. It's okay, calm down." You looked over to see it was Kris' wrist you grabbed. Your eyes widened; how was he in the ambulance?

"What's happening?" you asked to no one in particular. You heard one of the paramedics advising you to calm down.

"Your car landed in a ditch, you passed out from shock upon impact. The car didn't crash on your side and you seem to only have a few bruises," a paramedic told you while writing something down.

"But my friend! What happened to Chen?!" Kris held your hand and opened his mouth to explain,

"He's fine. Just a small cut on his head and a dislocated shoulder. The car hit on his side but he'll be fine." you heard him mutter something along the lines of "wish I could say the same about the car though."

You found yourself wanting to cry. You felt tired, sore and overwhelmed by emotion. Thank the heavens Kris was able to sense this. He stood up in the midst of the moving ambulance despite the paramedics protest, and made his way over to you who had managed to sit up on the gurney.

He slowly took you into his arms and held you while whispering comforting things into your hair. You found yourself slowly wrapping your arms around his waist and burying your face into his chest.

You stayed like this until the ambulance reached the hospital. At which point, you were asked if you could walk. You gave a small nod and Kris helped you out of the ambulance but left one arm around you and another holding your hand as he guided you to ask where Chen was.

~~~~~

You met up with the others in the waiting area. Lay seemed to be nervously pacing and Xiumin seemed to have just returned with coffee for him and Luhan. Tao looked like he had been crying.

"Jangmi!" he ran to you and threw himself around you, sniffling as he did so.

"I thought. . . ." he said as he pulled away.

"He didn't bother listening to the entire phone call. Only heard the words 'car crash' and 'hospital'," Xiumin said while frowning, "Lay stop pacing! They said he'll be okay!" You could hear agigtation in Xiumin's tone and you could tell he was trying to play off his worry with no sucess.

"He was in a lot of pain in the ambulance," Lay shot back, equally agigtated.

You found pressing yourself back into Kris' embrace at Lay's words. Kris held you agian and softly your hair.

"It's gonna be fine, he'll be fine," he whispered again.

You were thankful that no one was making any jokes about your position with Kris. . .it simply wasn't the time to do so. It was nice to see how the group all came together for their friends. As Luhan comforted Tao who didn't know how to express his grief, or as Xiumin eventually stood up and hugged Lay whose pacing had gotten more intense with every passing minute.

It was another hour and a half, before an nurse came to you all to Chen's room. Upon entering, you saw Chen peering at his overbed table, which was littered with little cups. He looked up,

"Hey guys," he called gleefully, and then gestured to the overbed table, "Jello?"

"You little !" Tao screamed running over to his side, "I thought you were dead! And here you are, racking up the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter