Chapter 34 Reconciliation + small gestures

The Exchange Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

IMPORTANT!!

I think it's important for you guys to understand the dynamic between Kris and his mother. For the better part of Kris' life he lived without his mother and when he moved back in with her, she neglected him. There is a lot of emotional trauma that comes with that, and Kris hasn't had the means to cope with it. That's why he's so bitter towards her.

She's not abusive she just wasn't a good mother, and that hurt Kris.

*shakes head* Fluff! So much ing fluff ahead! I'm so sorry, just endure it....it'll all be over soon....*whispers* I promise.

You had barely whispered an 'ok' when Kris told you he'd get you the next day after lunch. And then he left, leaving you in a state of confusion.

~~~~~~

"So, where are we headed?" you asked as you buckled your seatbelt and wrapped yourself in a blanket as Kris started the car.

"To the apartment my father and I lived in when we moved here. He left it to me when he passed and but I wanted nothing to do with it, so I handed it over to my mother."

You nodded and snuck a look in Kris' direction. He was currently preoccupied in entering onto the highway, and trying not to crash while merging lanes.

"There's a snowstorm coming in from the direction we're headed in a few days. Hopefully we'll beat it back home....staying a few days longer in that apartment isn't an option."

"Doesn't that depend on what happens on what happens in these next couple days?" you asked feeling rather bold.

"Even if I completely remedied things with my mother, that apartment housed my father and I when I least wanted to be here. That apartment will never seem inviting to me no matter who occupies it."

You remained silent for a moment, 

"Against whom do you harbor a bigger grudge, your mother or your father?" Though he was ridgid on the subject, Kris couldn't help but laugh,

"Am I to be your first patient?"

"I see this as a learning experience, so yes."

"Alright then, let's see if you can really make me feel better," Kris said, playfully smirking,

"I currently harbor a larger grudge against my mother as she has made no move for reconcilement. Though he was off by his entire time as a parent, my father at least came to realize his mistakes on his deathbed. Listening to him trying to right his wrongs, made me see him as a real man for the first time."

"What do you expect to get out of this visit to your mother?"

"I expect to get out of it that which I put into it," he responded evenly, "Any other questions?" he sounded like he didn't want anymore and you figured you'd oblige him.

"Just one," you said, "Are you feeling a bit better?" You saw the corners of Kris' mouth curve upwards and it made you smile.

"Yes, I suppose I am," he said.

'You always have a way of making me feel better.' Kris thought, stealing a look out you out of the corner of his eye.

"I'm going to take a small nap.." you said, while slowly reclining your seat, "Can you wake me up in a hour?" Kris hummed in response, and your blanket up to your neck.

In truth, you had wanted to talk to Kris about what happened, but A, you were feeling tired, and B, it didn't seem appropriate at the moment. So you merely rolled over and fell asleep.

~~~~~

"I didn't know you were bringing someone," you heard a woman's voice saying, "And a girl no less."

"Jangmi, can you hear me?" you were aware of yourself being set down on what felt like a couch, and you felt Kris' hands arounds your shoulders as he slighly rocked you back and forth.

"Jangmi~" he called softly, "It's time to wake up. Ahh yeah, there you go." He encouraged as you slowly opened your eyes and groggily looked around. You appeared to be burritoed inside your blanket, which would explain why you felt so warm. You were guessing Kris had carried into the apartment bridaly style, because that was the only explainable reason as to why he was still not fully detached from you.

"Where are.....I overslept.....what's happening?" you mumbled groggily and you heard a middle aged woman laugh. You looked over to the corner and saw a very gentle looking woman sitting in an easy chair.

"Jangmi," Kris said, staring/glaring at the woman from the corner of his eye, "This is my mother. We got to the apartment a few minutes ago." You could see him tense a bit as he glanced around the simple space.

You on the other hand found yourself stumbling out of the blanket and trying to stand, so as to properly bow and greet Mrs. Wu.

"Hello Mrs. Wu. I'm Kim Jangmi....Kris' partner."

"Ahhh you're the one he mentioned last time he talked to me." You quirked an eyebrow at her straightforwardness and turned to Kris who seemed to be avoiding your eyes.   

"Jangmi can have my old room and I can take the couch," Kris said, and motioned for you to follow him. You bowed to Mrs. Wu once more before following him down the hallway. 

"Bathroom's on the left and I'll be on the couch out there. The master bedroom is across from the room you'll be in if you need my mother for some reason." 

He dropped your duffel bag on the bed and you found yourself drawn to the bookshelf. 

"I had no idea you were into action figures," you said while staring at the impressive setup on one of his shelves. 

"It was a childhood thing," he said slightly embarassed. 

"I thought you lived here till you were eighteen," you said, but dropped the subject and headed over to the bed which had a rather plain navy blue duvet on it. You turned and flopped onto it. 

"I think I shall sleep very well tonight," you said as you rolled around slightly. You were aware of Kris laying down on the other side of the bed, 

"Lucky you," he said as he rolled onto his stomach. You guessed he was probably tired from the trip, so you wrapped the blanket you had previously been in, around him and shut the light as you left.  

"I'll you wake you up around dinner," you whispered. You heard a muffled 'thank you' and smiled. 

"Sleep tight," you then closed the door and headed for the kitchen, where you saw Mrs. Wu getting several cans out of a cupboard. 

"I'm sorry tonight's dinner won't be homecooked. I myself just recently arrived and didn't have time to buy-"

"It's okay. Do you need any help?" And so you ended up helping her empty cans of Campbells soup into a pot and making as salad, while telling her a little bit about yourself. 

"Yifan mentioned you when he visited me a while ago," she said while stirring the soup. 

"Yifan?" you asked. There was an awkward silence for a moment.

"Oh you must know him as Kris," She said suddenly catching on, "When he was born, I gave him the Chinese name Yifan. When he moved to Canada with his dad it became Kevin, and when he went back for college he took the name Kris. The name Kevin is not associated with happy memories," she said shaking her head.

You hummed in response and went back to cutting a tomato,

"You said he mentioned me?" you said apprehensively, "What did he say?" 

Mrs. Wu turned to face you, with a rather knowing smile, "He said you were something else, and he had a feeling that that was a good thing."

You looked back down at your own tomato and wondered if your face resembled it's own vibrant color,

"Oh but that was months ago," she said waving hand, "He quite recently called me on New Years." Your hand spasmed a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter